Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squint Lake in Burnaby  (Read 17844 times)

Sam6140

Re: Squint Lake in Burnaby
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 02:24:30 AM »

thanks DanL.  There's parking around that RV Park, then?

Sam6140

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »

shortfloater: haha that's what you think, my friend. ;)    besides i hate fishing where there are tons of others doing the same.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »

cool thanks...but how do you access the upper river between hume park and cariboo road?  I have fished under north road (bridge). 

Where Cariboo road crosses the Brunette , there is an RV park. A gravel road/trail runs along the river where you can walk all the way to North road.
?
Or do it backwards and start at Hume park.
Only difference is you'd be walking up stream instead of down.

Sam6140

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »

So, the other day (Sunday evening), I parked by the RV campground in Burnaby, and walked all the way to North Road.  I wanted to check out the Brunette River.  Wow, I had no idea such a nice trail was there, and I grew up not even 5 minutes from there.  The river looks quite promising (nice pools, and fairly deep water).  Mind you, it had just rained a few days ago.

Question:  Are there residing fish in those parts at the moment?  Would I be wasting my time trying to catch wild trout?   I only catch and release.  I was interested in trying close to the Highway 1 overpass.

Thanks in advance!

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 07:37:16 PM »

Give it a go, you most likely wont catch anything big... but should be fun nonetheless, some fairly decent size pike minnows hanging out in the deeper pools near the fish weirs, another month or two and it should be much better.

Nuggy

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »

So, the other day (Sunday evening), I parked by the RV campground in Burnaby, and walked all the way to North Road.  I wanted to check out the Brunette River.  Wow, I had no idea such a nice trail was there, and I grew up not even 5 minutes from there.  The river looks quite promising (nice pools, and fairly deep water).  Mind you, it had just rained a few days ago.

Question:  Are there residing fish in those parts at the moment?  Would I be wasting my time trying to catch wild trout?   I only catch and release.  I was interested in trying close to the Highway 1 overpass.

Thanks in advance!

WoW!!! You grew up 5 minutes from the Brunette River and didn`t know those trails existed ??? :o   I grew up 5 minutes from the Brunette River and half the kids in the surrounding neighborhoods were somehwere to be found at any give time in daylight hours exploring and playing in lower Hume/Brunette River area or playing in upper Hume. I guess times change ;)

Cheers
Nuggy

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »

When I was a teenager learning to flyfish, I used to catch small rainbows or cutties on the Brunette. They were small fish, maybe 6 inches or so, but very aggressive and fun to watch attack tiny dry flies floated on a dead drift. I remember tying up the silliest looking flies at home then going to test them out on the Brunette.

This was a long time ago so no idea what its like there now.

Good Luck

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »

When I was a teenager learning to flyfish, I used to catch small rainbows or cutties on the Brunette. They were small fish, maybe 6 inches or so, but very aggressive and fun to watch attack tiny dry flies floated on a dead drift. I remember tying up the silliest looking flies at home then going to test them out on the Brunette.

This was a long time ago so no idea what its like there now.

Good Luck

Likewise Dan, I was fishing there 20-30 years ago and remember the first run of coho in there in decades.  It was a lot of fun as  teenager.  Later that year an illegal dump of chemicals wiped out those fish, sad.  Such a fragile system, one of the most endangered urban rivers in the GVRD.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sam6140

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2011, 10:40:09 PM »

I should clarify.  I used to go to the brunette river as a kid, but only at Hume Park.   And I lived about a 5 minute drive from it.  I just didn't know about that trail and how nice the river is between cariboo road, and Hume Park.  It's actually hard to notice. 

So, should I just throw flies at the water and see what happens?   Anybody tried drifting a worm & bobber?

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2011, 11:15:12 PM »

I would stay away from bait if possible, most of the fish are in the 6-9 inch range and a good chance of gut hooking, the river is struggling as is, best not to, much more fun with flies in my honest opinion, if fly fishing keep your drys small, i like a light cahill dun in size 16-18, or a small size 14-16 wooly bugger green or purple, and small simple minnow patterns will attract the pikeminnows,or use a  san juan worm fly for them.. works just as well.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:17:33 PM by urbanflyfisher »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2011, 12:16:45 AM »

If you are going to fly fish, I got two words for you: Tom Thumb

Keep it small, size 12, 14 or 16. Easy to tie and floats well. Even when it gets tattered beyond any resemblance to any living insect, it still seems to catch fish  :P

Sam6140

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:33 AM »

Cool thanks guys.  I'll go and buy some tom thumbs from Riverside.