Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squint Lake in Burnaby  (Read 17841 times)

Sam6140

Squint Lake in Burnaby
« on: May 24, 2011, 07:12:16 AM »

Has anyone ever tried fishing there?  I remember fishing there a couple of times when I was a kid.  Didn't get a bite, but didn't really know what I was doing either. lol.  It looks like a decent place to fish in the city.   I think there are some fish in there, but have no idea what.  I have seen some feeding in the past.  I have seen some minnows too.

brysonk

Re: Squint Lake in Burnaby
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 06:16:58 AM »

I used to fish there a lot when I was a kid 8-12. but that was about 20 years ago. At that time they were stocking the pond with rainbows and I was usually able to limit out every day. I don't think they stock it anymore but there may be some trout still in there. I know there were lots of big carp in there at the time and nobody ever fished them so there may be some really big carp in there now. There was also a large koi fish that you could see swimming around but could never get it to bite lol. I just used worms on the bottom or under a float and had great success.

Sam6140

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:58:17 AM »

Thanks Bryson.  Guess we're the same age, then. lol   I used to live close to Squint Lake, so it holds some interest to me.  Maybe I'll give that lake a try one day.

dmocchi

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:29:51 PM »

I also live in the area and have always wanted to try fishing it........that being  said could someone inquire and post the answer here? Id really like to know.
Thanx

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »

Been browsing on here for awile now.. decided to finally join, and make this my first post...

I used to live in burnaby, and fished all the local waters, never did try squint lake... i now live in kits...but have a good friend living  just a block away from squint lake... the lake does get fished.. mostly from the floating dock, there are a number of species in there, including cutthroat,pikeminnow, maybe some carp.. im sure there are other species in there as well... If you do decide to fish there, please treat the place with respect, and C&R all fish, its a very fragile system... best to avoid it unless you got nowhere else to go.

All the best.

AD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:03:42 AM by urbanflyfisher »

Sam6140

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:30:40 AM »

Urbanflyfisher.  I think you might be thinking of Burnaby Lake.  Squint lake DOES NOT have a dock.  Squint Lake is the small lake/pond in the Burnaby Mountain Golf Course (right by the parking lot), and adjacent to the buildings.

kid fisherman

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »

I think he means deer lake. Burnaby lake was never good for fishing but after this dredging and clean up of the lake I would hope to see it become a nice place to fish!

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »

Hi folks, squint lake is what im thinking of, i dont remember a dock there either, but im told there now is a small "dock/platform" on the lake... havent been there in the last 10 years... maybe one of you folks that live in the area can confirm? ??? i just checked google earth and there does seem to be a small platform near the smaller southern parking lot.. doesnt look much like a dock...

Its part of the eagle creek tributary, a salmon bearing stream, burnaby lake and its tributaries have  a wild cutthroat population, i dont see why they wouldnt be in squint lake, fish have been observed jumping in there, pikeminnow most likely would have made it up too, as for carp im really not sure.. but seeing as every other lake has them id expect them to be in there as well. If not the common carp.. then pet variety most likely.. being a populated area.. and who knows what else.

Ive been thinking of maybe getting my float tube and going to check it out later this summer.

AD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:04:51 PM by urbanflyfisher »

rymack

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 10:08:57 PM »

I also grew up around the area. Lived in the towers next to the golf course and pulled many a cutty out of that lake and even some in the creek. I was young at the time and brought a few home to cook but they wern't the best tasting. They didn't stock it in those days so most fish were wild. As far as I know it isn't very deep anywhere in that lake.

Sam6140

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 01:50:10 AM »

I'm wondering why they don't stock that lake?  It's not a bad looking lake.  It's a lot better looking than Como Lake, Deer Lake, and Burnaby Lake.  It has a nice inflow and outflow.  It can't hurt to stock it with even just a few hundred fish a year. 

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »

I'm wondering why they don't stock that lake?  It's not a bad looking lake.  It's a lot better looking than Como Lake, Deer Lake, and Burnaby Lake.  It has a nice inflow and outflow.  It can't hurt to stock it with even just a few hundred fish a year. 

Ive wondered the same, its a really nice looking little natural lake... i tried looking online why they stopped stocking it.. couldnt find anything.

Cutthroat are bound to be in there but in small numbers, its a very fragile population, hence my original comment on C&R.

urbanflyfisher

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »

Burnaby lake was never good for fishing but after this dredging and clean up of the lake I would hope to see it become a nice place to fish!

Did they resume the dredging? it was stopped in 09 due to the highly endangered painted back turtle... ::)

Despite most reports, its really not a bad lake to fish... if you know how... ive fly fished for carp in there... hooked a few small ones but none of the 50lbs monsters rumored to be in there, a boat of some sort really opens up the possibilities, a few weeks after they stock deer lake.. you can catch some stray rainbows that come down deer lake brook, suckers are in there also from what i hear... never caught one myself in there so cant confirm. When i first started catching smallmouth back in 03 in the brunette, i was sure they came from burnaby lake... but as far as i know nobody has caught any in there since the fifty's, when it was stocked.

Its a very difficult lake to fish, but once you figure it out.. it can be quite rewarding... same goes for still creek.  Ive gotten pikeminnow on the dry fly in still creek.. on a size 20 mosquito to be exact.

(EDIT) Small addition, and spelling edit.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:25:53 AM by urbanflyfisher »

Sam6140

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »

They should definitely stock it.  For example, if they stock Deer Lake or Burnaby Lake with say 2,000 rainbows twice a year, why can't they simply take 400 of those fish and release them into Squint Lake.   It's also really close to Burnaby or Deer Lake.   Besides not a lot of people fish Burnaby or Deer Lake.

Sam6140

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 01:27:03 AM »

And I agree completely...Catch and Release only.   I have never kept a single fish that I've ever caught my whole life.   I wish more people would catch and release fish.   I personally find it a little cruel to kill a fish, but that's just me.   I can't kill anything.

kid fisherman

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:48:34 AM »

They finished the dredging at Burnaby lake about a month ago. Now I thinks they are going to start some tests on the water.