Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: B.C black-market salmon  (Read 16302 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: B.C black-market salmon
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »

Do the math; the last two record salmon returns were from fry that went out when the government buckled to the public out cry and forced the fish farms to fallow their nets.

I'm tired of the blame being shifted from the commercial guys to the natives and back; and then for a change of pace the loggers and miners. While all the above place the blame on us sporties. Come on, we are all trying to clean up our act and their is volumes of documentation to prove it; so who is not pulling their weight here. I write for news papers and well know how to spin a story in any way I wish. Take it from one sees the inside; take everything you read with a grain of salt, find out where the write draws a paycheck from, and read between the line.

Instead of just covering the news you should trying knowing something about the topic, but I am used to reading articles in the paper that look more like something I would find in the National Inquirer – more sensationalism and little on fact.  Fallowing is not a new practice that was initiated when the 2008 outmigrants went to sea.  I find it hilarious that fish farm critics were predicting the demise of the 2008 Fraser Sockeye outmigrants basically saying that when they get lice they die...”that simple”, but when the adults returned in 2010 they needed to find an excuse so they said that the salmon farms suddenly cleaned up their act for that period of time. So, when the return is not as good does this mean that the farms decided to not fallow and visa versa....Give me a friking break...lol.  If you have learned anything from the testimony at the Cohen Inquiry you should understand that the issue of Fraser Sockeye productivity has more to do than salmon farms.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/ahc/fish_health/sealice_BA_monitoring.htm

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:02 PM »

Instead of just covering the news you should trying knowing something about the topic, but I am used to reading articles in the paper that look more like something I would find in the National Inquirer – more sensationalism and little on fact. 

Ha, Ha, that is a good one. I like it.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »

Did I read that right, this is from tapes made in 1989, don't they have anything more recent than that to present?

Since the Supreme Court has ruled out covert tapes, what is left?  Would they reject video taped evidence of the criminals in the act?
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »

The solution is not to blame, but to correctly monitor and enforce the law.  It is like leaving the bank vaults open at night and then acting all surprised when money starts to go missing...gasp...there are dishonest people out there?  Enforcement should be along the lines of prostitution, go after the Johns.   All FSC fish should be tagged upon capture, tagging could be as simple as the removal of the pectoral fins (any fish found in the possession of the band not so tagged should be confiscated as illegally caught).  Anyone caught purchasing tagged fish should be arrested and charged.  A DFO officer could ask to see a restaurant's fish (removal of the fins prior to preparing the fish for a meal could be made illegal as well) and if the fins are removed, charge them.  Knowing the fish they are buying are tagged and could be identified later may dissuade the buyers (the real criminals here), especially if a few restaurants are investigated and prosecuted publicly.  Without a market, the syndicate has no reason to continue stealing fish from the bands. This could all be done for less cost than the investigation of the native fishers in 1989 must have cost.  Why do they not do it?  Perhaps newsman is on to something.

JAwrey

• 'Head Hunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »

The solution is not to blame, but to correctly monitor and enforce the law.  It is like leaving the bank vaults open at night and then acting all surprised when money starts to go missing...gasp...there are dishonest people out there?  Enforcement should be along the lines of prostitution, go after the Johns.   All FSC fish should be tagged upon capture, tagging could be as simple as the removal of the pectoral fins (any fish found in the possession of the band not so tagged should be confiscated as illegally caught).  Anyone caught purchasing tagged fish should be arrested and charged.  A DFO officer could ask to see a restaurant's fish (removal of the fins prior to preparing the fish for a meal could be made illegal as well) and if the fins are removed, charge them.  Knowing the fish they are buying are tagged and could be identified later may dissuade the buyers (the real criminals here), especially if a few restaurants are investigated and prosecuted publicly.  Without a market, the syndicate has no reason to continue stealing fish from the bands. This could all be done for less cost than the investigation of the native fishers in 1989 must have cost.  Why do they not do it?  Perhaps newsman is on to something.

Good points, Sandman.  What about the foreign market?  How would you police that, without a very deeply-integrated task force?  And task forces cost money, which is something governments hate spending...

J
- John A.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »

The solution is not to blame, but to correctly monitor and enforce the law.  It is like leaving the bank vaults open at night and then acting all surprised when money starts to go missing...gasp...there are dishonest people out there?  Enforcement should be along the lines of prostitution, go after the Johns.   All FSC fish should be tagged upon capture, tagging could be as simple as the removal of the pectoral fins (any fish found in the possession of the band not so tagged should be confiscated as illegally caught).  Anyone caught purchasing tagged fish should be arrested and charged.  A DFO officer could ask to see a restaurant's fish (removal of the fins prior to preparing the fish for a meal could be made illegal as well) and if the fins are removed, charge them.  Knowing the fish they are buying are tagged and could be identified later may dissuade the buyers (the real criminals here), especially if a few restaurants are investigated and prosecuted publicly.  Without a market, the syndicate has no reason to continue stealing fish from the bands. This could all be done for less cost than the investigation of the native fishers in 1989 must have cost.  Why do they not do it?  Perhaps newsman is on to something.

ain't gonna happen while all the dudes in Ottawa collect ther big fat pay checks !
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:41:20 PM by rjs »

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 11:08:07 PM »

What bothers me is the few dead sturgeons I see floating down on the Fraser River. I saw two about 8 feet last year and 4 footer this year. How many dead ones I don't see?
Is the Sturgeon fishing $27.00 tag fee stamp doing anything besides making money for the government? If it takes 50 to 75 years for the sturgeon fish to mature, should we be so proud of "Our Great Sturgeon Fishing?" Perhaps it should be stopped all together..? What do you think?
MrGrey1

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »

What bothers me is the few dead sturgeons I see floating down on the Fraser River. I saw two about 8 feet last year and 4 footer this year. How many dead ones I don't see?
Is the Sturgeon fishing $27.00 tag fee stamp doing anything besides making money for the government? If it takes 50 to 75 years for the sturgeon fish to mature, should we be so proud of "Our Great Sturgeon Fishing?" Perhaps it should be stopped all together..? What do you think?

Well it is making the guide services and the services that service their clientele (hotels, fuel sales, gear, restaurants, etc) a lot of money, so as long as the lower Fraser population exhibits what could be considered "reasonably healthy population structures . . . A wide range of size-classes and maturity cohorts of white sturgeon. . . from immature juveniles to reproductively mature adults" (McKenzie 2000), then I would say a catch and release fishery is acceptable.  Should the population start to show signs of aging and poor recruitment (fewer juveniles) then I would support a closure to protect the remaining stocks (like on the Nechako).

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 08:54:25 AM »

Dave, how does it feel to have a life-long career that has been based on conspiring to deceive the general Canadian public? ;D ;D ;D

--the conspiracy if you choose to call it that is with the government not the individual workers of DFO.....
--Government conspiracy:... is simple... don't give enough funding for DFO to do the job they are mandated to do!
--I have never personally met a CO, DFO or Forest officer that did not want to do their job. Not only in enforcement but in research to conserve and protect!

--Why wasn't the "RIVER KING" case pursued... why weren't complaints from natives who alleged they did not get their allotments investigated??? I'll bet no CO or DFO or RCMP investigators were involved in a conspiracy of silence... but I'll also bet they were not given the time or money to properly investigate.

--I draw my parallel from forestry.... MOF staff cuts...Companies now police themselves under government policy of professional reliance...they're doing such a good job of self policing that there are way less violations than there were when MOF staff had the funding and experience to check them. I believe most of us can remember how well professional reliance worked out for Ontario Drinking Water Users.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:05:52 AM by skaha »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 10:02:36 PM »

it still baffles me how u can look after ur oceans when ur based in Ottawa ? time to get rid of dfo !!! pay out those blood suckin $$$ maker managers and let the provinces with ocean look after them ! or bite my tongue let the natives run it ! they couldn't do any worse !

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »

Cohen Commission
No one followed the B.C black-market salmon
MARK HUME | Columnist profile
VANCOUVER— From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published Sunday, May. 22, 2011 7:20PM EDT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/no-one-followed-the-bc-black-market-salmon/article2031554/

funny how the article isnt there anymore

scuntor

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

it still baffles me how u can look after ur oceans when ur based in Ottawa ? time to get rid of dfo !!! pay out those blood suckin $$$ maker managers and let the provinces with ocean look after them ! or bite my tongue let the natives run it ! they couldn't do any worse !

Ya lets lets the Liberals run our oceans. :-\ We would soon be reading about the sale of a large chunk of the Pacific Ocean.

bcguy

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »

Ya lets lets the Liberals run our oceans. :-\ We would soon be reading about the sale of a large chunk of the Pacific Ocean.

Got that right brother!!! :D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

holmes

• photobucket.com
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »

lmfao, you guys do realize that the bcliberals and the federal conservatives are the same animal rite?, the fact that the bcliberals even call themselves liberals is a lie and fraud in and of itself, they arent liberals whatsoever....holmes*

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »

lmfao, you guys do realize that the bcliberals and the federal conservatives are the same animal rite?, the fact that the bcliberals even call themselves liberals is a lie and fraud in and of itself, they arent liberals whatsoever....holmes*

Of course, there is nothing liberal about a BC Liberal.  They Shanghaied the BC Liberal party in a move to unite the right leaning parties (right of the NDP) after the decimation of the Socred government.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:31:33 PM by Sandman »