Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to fish around Oliver  (Read 14392 times)

deepcovehooker

Where to fish around Oliver
« on: May 18, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »

I am heading up to Oliver for a few days of golfing and fly fishing.  Looking for some hints on where to fish say between Osoyos and Penticton.  I prefer streams/rivers but small lakes are OK.  I am not taking a boat.

Thanks for any advise.   ::)

andrew5

Re: Where to fish around Oliver
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »

right between Osoyoos and Penticton is a lake called Vasuex lake. It always looked like a great lake to fly fish from, and there is room for back casting from the shore. It is right off the highway as well. I also believe it is a provincial park.

Here's the write up on the fishing from the park website:
Fishing
The lake provides promising fishing opportunities for large mouth bass, rainbow trout and carp. The two Vaseux "Lagoons" on the west side of Okanagan River above McIntyre dam are included in the April 1- June 30 spring closure.  Anyone fishing or angling in British Columbia must have an appropriate licence.

The Okanagan river flows into it as well. there is a dam that you cross right as OK falls, and that area looks pretty promising for fish as well.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Madden, Ripley, Sawmill - all good.

No power boats (including electric) and mostly bass in Vaseaux Lake.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »

mostly bass in Vaseaux Lake.
yes and some very large ones at that...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »

--problem with Okanagan and Similkameen is with expected hot weather they are going to be in flood mode
--Might try the rocks near the train trestle in OK falls...although smallmouth bass around there might get a trout this time of year.

--Vaseux has some shore are you could cast from... most fish bass and both large and small mouth but this time of year you might get some trout as well.
--Sawmill/Burnell as mentioned.. if you can fit a belly boat in your vehicle... its a trophy flyfhishing only catch and release lake. With run off should have some good water levels in it by the weekend... over winter it lowers forming two lakes but we have a pipe from adjacent seasonal water course in full flow now to fill the lake. It could be fished from shore but gets a lot of pressure so you'd probably have boaters anchored near where you are trying to fish... casting back at you.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

Okanagan R has produced some nice ones if you know where to look. Right in the middle of Oliver can be productive although my experience is in the summer. Vasaux has lots bass and a few trout. Good Luck :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Dogbreath

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

Vaseaux is one of the noisiest places I've ever fished and most of the Bass seemed to be on the other side of the lake from the road so without a boat.......

If the river has enough water fish will move in but flyfishing in that brushy ravine could be tough.

buzzbomb

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 11:04:23 AM »

I've always liked going a bit west of 97 on 3 from the junction at  Kaladen to Yellow Lake.  I think a fishing club from Penticton stocks and manages it.  The big fish always seemed to come to the guys in boats out in the middle but I've had loads of fun catching little trout from shore there.  OK Falls used to have decent shore access back in the day but now the condos are built up along the river where I used to fish. There was a place called the Red Barn in OK Falls that sold pellet stoves and antiques and the guy there sold flies and gave some directions to local lakes where he was having luck.  I found him to be quite helpful but finding him at the store was hard as he was always fishing or making deliveries.  Right in Oliver I've caught bass off the beach at Tuc-l-Nuit and along the bike path south of town I've seen many fish but only caught a few. :D   Sawmill and the other lakes up above Oliver have always meant good memories for me but the road has always been brutal.  Even when it had been improved I lost exhaust systems and hubcaps and that was when the locals swore it was good.   :)
 The best pizza going if you like a spicy Mediterranean style pizza is Pizza 97 on the south side of Oliver.  They don't open till mid afternoon but it's 2 for 1 and I highly recommend it.   Savvios next to the liquor store has good food as well and Oliver Gardens puts on a good Sunday evening buffet.  If you go touring my favourite winery there is Wild Goose Winery southeast of Okanagan Falls and I think their best bottle is the Gerwurztraminer, with the Chardonnay a close second depending on the year.
5% Alc./Vol.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 11:39:00 AM »

--Penticton Flyfishers have put and maintain a dock at each end of Yellow lake but the only thing they have to do with the fish there is catching them.
--Their fish project is mainly with kokanee on Okanagan... they have a hatchery on penticton creek for okanagan kokanee however fisheries will not let them operate it.
--The do maintain the spawning beds and fish ladders on Penticton creek for kokanee

deepcovehooker

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »

Thanks all for the hints and reports.  Hope the area is not flooded out next week.   

Butch1949

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »

Used to camp at Kaleden, top of the hill at Camp-a-Long campground, Henry and Evelyn ran a gem there, did fish at the mouth of the canal under the bridge at Skaha Lake and caught Kokanee, talked with a father and son in a boat launched from Kaleden and they had bass caught by trolling the west shore of Skaha, and did watch pro fishing show where they caught bass at the north end along cottage docks on Osoyoos Lake, I also fished the dam at OK Falls , saw fish jumping but no luck :)
"I don't catch fish"