Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Protecting BC'S Environment, Rafe Mair  (Read 2470 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Protecting BC'S Environment, Rafe Mair
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:21:25 PM »

--Finally, I feel compelled to mention that I learned recently the BC Liberal government is quietly designing a wolf "management" (read "slaughter") plan that will likely sanction, among other horrors, the killing of wolves from helicopters under the pretense of protecting caribou populations. I dealt with this crap when I was Environment Minister in 1979, instituting a ban on the slaughter of wolves; clearly the forces in favour of this arcane practice never let up.

-- above is Quoted from the Rafe Mair article.
--below my opinion

It is my cynical nature that believes that the wolf management plan has in part to do with forestry... how you say?
--the amount of area that can be logged where caribou reside in part is tied to the health of the caribou population... instead of expensive best forest practices it is cheaper to ensure the caribou population stays the same or expands... one way to increase the caribou population thus increase the amount of logging allowed is to nuke the wolves...

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »

--Finally, I feel compelled to mention that I learned recently the BC Liberal government is quietly designing a wolf "management" (read "slaughter") plan that will likely sanction, among other horrors, the killing of wolves from helicopters under the pretense of protecting caribou populations. I dealt with this crap when I was Environment Minister in 1979, instituting a ban on the slaughter of wolves; clearly the forces in favour of this arcane practice never let up.

-- above is Quoted from the Rafe Mair article.
--below my opinion

It is my cynical nature that believes that the wolf management plan has in part to do with forestry... how you say?
--the amount of area that can be logged where caribou reside in part is tied to the health of the caribou population... instead of expensive best forest practices it is cheaper to ensure the caribou population stays the same or expands... one way to increase the caribou population thus increase the amount of logging allowed is to nuke the wolves...

I couldn't find the quote you've highlighted in the link Chris posted but I do have a comment on your wolf management analysis.

Studies have shown that a single wolf kills and eats up to 10 moose a year. A cariboo is about 2/3 the size of an average moose so we could assume that a single wolf could kill and eat 12 - 15 caribou per year. Based on those assumptions a pack of 6 wolves could potentially kill as many as 90 caribou a year....  

Killing some of these wolves is about conserving the caribou population, not about saving money on expensive best forest practices.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:25:23 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:57:12 PM »

--killing some wolves... probably necessary given we have interfered with the cyclic population balance.. I'm not against some management especially when we are the probable cause of the imbalance.
--however the process and timing of the count to assess the cow/calf survival can be skewed by ensuring wolves don't get at the calves until after MOE or their contractor does the count... after that the forest company  could give a rats *** about the wolves or the caribou.
--Now I am not certain that this is the actual wolf cull that Rafe was talking about as I have not seen the current wolf management plan or where it is but I can say that best practices as a concept doesn't usually happen even when managed by the old Min of Forests BC timber sales... not sure what they officially call themselves nowadays.
--I watched as many of these ministry, forest managers changed from vigorously arguing for best practices to complaining about costs of reforestation, set back from creeks and accommodation of wildlife needs etc. to the point where I affectionately called them the worst licensee in the province.. I was required to affectionately call them the worst licensee because of course they may not actually be the worst. It was just disappointing to see the transformation of some, but not all.
--Caribou are just a pawn in a bigger chess game...although moving in the same direction,  the players may be moving the pawn with different intent for sacrifice or gain.
--Personally I have more disdain for those who move the paw then exaggerate the intent.

--quote is from the  #12 complaint in the article. I must say I get a kick out of Rafe who has seen the lite and claims he always did because I don't recall agreeing with him all that much when he was in government as I do now... even though he always was a fly fisher.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:03:31 PM by skaha »

StillAqua

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »

--quote is from the  #12 complaint in the article. I must say I get a kick out of Rafe who has seen the lite and claims he always did because I don't recall agreeing with him all that much when he was in government as I do now... even though he always was a fly fisher.

We need to figure out what medication Rafe is now on and slip a supply into the water coolers at the parliament buildings.  ;D