Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Liberal Park Legacy  (Read 2265 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
The Liberal Park Legacy
« on: May 09, 2011, 05:16:57 AM »

http://

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: The Liberal Park Legacy
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:54:09 AM »

--Last time NDP was in power they seriously reduced budgets and staff for parks, forest and environment.... the Liberals only lived up to their  promise to meet or beat those cuts.
--NDP is only nicer ( less confrontational and longer notice) to staff when they lay them off so the union puts up with it from their buddies but they still lay off and budget cut.

StillAqua

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »

"In response to a request for comment on the state of B.C. Parks, the Ministry of Environment responded that "British Columbians can be proud of their world-class park system" and that "our parks staff do a great job of looking after our parks for today's users and for future generations."

Great political doublespeak........if they run them far enough into the ground, they'll have good justification for turning them over to the private sector.  :(

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »

If you are going to let private operators collect fees in parks,then they should of let volunteers help park staff maintain the trails etc. I would only let the volunteers work under the supervision of parks staff. I would not let private operators collect fees for camping because that's guaranteed to go to one of the original sins.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 07:10:14 AM by troutbreath »
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »

"In response to a request for comment on the state of B.C. Parks, the Ministry of Environment responded that "British Columbians can be proud of their world-class park system" and that "our parks staff do a great job of looking after our parks for today's users and for future generations."

Great political doublespeak........if they run them far enough into the ground, they'll have good justification for turning them over to the private sector.  :(

--Totally agree.... the Parks Staff do double and triple duty often working extra hrs for no pay and putting on a brave face to clients... as the FOI requested information tends to indicate.. behind the scenes they are also begging government for money to address safety concerns. I also do not have an issue with the majority of contractors, again who's staff members.. some even former employees of parks are doing the best they can with the money allotted.   
--I long for the day of the old Forest Service rec sites which I often used. Had to watch first the experiment off , user fees come and gone and privatizing some and finally a dismal excuse for the few remaining sites under a new ministry.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:23 AM »

Can't remember the last time I saw a provincial employee at a provincial park.

I have encountered private contractors in all of the recent trips.