Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommendations on books on steelhead fly fishing  (Read 3890 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Recommendations on books on steelhead fly fishing
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:18:55 PM »

I have decided to take the final step and learn how to fly fish for steelhead. ;D

When I try to learn something new, I normally buy good books on the subject and read them cover to cover at least a couple of times to build up some foundation on the subject before I go out and do it.  I would appreciate some recommendations on books on steelhead fly fishing. :)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Recommendations on books on steelhead fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »

for your first year with the fly rod i suggest bringing the gear to (except may, no gear)
and are you gonna be tying your own flies as i have a good book for that,
but for the learning part of steely flyfishing i googled mostly and talked to fellow flyfishers and just did trial and error.
i have caught 3 on the flyrod with i think 5 more lost.
and i have found it really helpfull to cross the river  ::) more room for casting heavy tips
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

There are 3 books that I highly recommend:
*Spey Casting by Simon Gawesworth
*A Passion For Steelhead by Dec Hogan
*A Steelheader`s Way by Lani Waller

DVD`s also really help a lot-The very best ones are:
*Skagit Master by Scott Howell
*Modern Spey Casting by Dec Hogan
*Skagit Master by Ed Ward
*Spey Fishing Steelhead by John Hazel
*Rio`s Modern SpeyCasting-by 6 of the very best casters
*Steelhead Legacy by Lani Waller

*****Please note that all the various books and DVD`s have one statement that is totally true---Nothing replaces putting time in on the river--A person has to pay their dues.

*****Never be afraid to try something new and that is your own idea. IT MAY VERY WELL WORK.

I hope this bit of information helps you gain your first TUG.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »

Thanks for the list of books Harley.
Dec Hogan's book was also on my list.
Quite right about having to pay my dues on the river.
Nothing beats time on the river. :)

Steelie-slayer, didn't know you were a top rod on the fly too. ;)
I have also been googling quite a bit and did find some good vids on basic casting.
Thinking of starting out with a single handed 8 weight rod with Rio multi-tips as a starting point.
What did you meant by "really helpful to cross the river"? Better to fish the south bank of Vedder? Kinda lost me there.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »

What did you meant by "really helpful to cross the river"? Better to fish the south bank of Vedder? Kinda lost me there.

I sense the eye roll was a clue.  With some 30 km fishable length, I don't think that statement was made seriously.  What you do want is to find are those "flywater" runs that have the unique characteristics of being good steelhead holding water (see the above mentioned books) as well as well as being the type that will allow a fly to get down into the strike zone (not too fast and not too deep), and of course with room to cast.  These are not easy to find as they make up a small percentage of prime steelhead holding water, and they are frequently already being worked by gear fishermen, so be prepared to hike and wade a lot.  Take advantage of the month of May to search the lower Vedder portion to find these runs and to get used to drifting fly line without worrying about the gear guys sneaking up on you. I personally fish with an 8 wt with a variety of tips and also frequently dead drift flies under an indicator (at least half of my steelhead have been hooked this way).  This allows you to get into runs and pockets where swinging a fly is not really an option.  You are going to lose many flies as you fish them right off the bottom and so tying your own is a must unless you are wealthy.
Not all those who wander are lost

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 07:19:20 PM »

Thanks for the tip Sandman.

As I am off from work for the first two weeks of May, I am planning to spend sometime on the lower Vedder hopefully learning how to fly fish. As I have done enough gear fishing this season, I might have a half decent chance locating some steelie, but whether I could get my fly anywhere near them is something else. ;)

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »

Thanks for the tip Sandman.

As I am off from work for the first two weeks of May, I am planning to spend sometime on the lower Vedder hopefully learning how to fly fish. As I have done enough gear fishing this season, I might have a half decent chance locating some steelie, but whether I could get my fly anywhere near them is something else. ;)

There is some nice water below the crossing and there sounds like there is some fish down there, although I did not see any this morning.  I am heading out in the morning to try to forget the Canuck's loss tonight and look forward to having a bit more room to cast.  Maybe I will see you there.
Not all those who wander are lost

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »

by crossing the river i mean, less guys meaning less pressured fish so there more likely to bite a fly.
a good example is borden creek i think you know the are from the side where borden goes in, there doesnt seem to be much water to fly fish but from the other side theres a few specific pockets that form little runs holding fish and just down from borden theres a 200yd (maybe 100) long run which from the normal side is not really castable but the otherside has lots of back cast room. also up from borden lots of fly water from the other side. but sadly no fishing it for awhile  :'(
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »

There are 3 books that I highly recommend:
*Spey Casting by Simon Gawesworth
*A Passion For Steelhead by Dec Hogan
*A Steelheader`s Way by Lani Waller

All of the titles that Harley recommends above are GREAT books, I especially love Dec's.  I would also add "Steelhead Flyfishing" by Trey Coombs to the list, it was (and still is) considered the steelhead flyfishing bible by many of the greybeards I know.

Best of luck out there!
:D
Tex

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »

by crossing the river i mean, less guys meaning less pressured fish so there more likely to bite a fly.
a good example is borden creek i think you know the are from the side where borden goes in, there doesnt seem to be much water to fly fish but from the other side theres a few specific pockets that form little runs holding fish and just down from borden theres a 200yd (maybe 100) long run which from the normal side is not really castable but the otherside has lots of back cast room. also up from borden lots of fly water from the other side. but sadly no fishing it for awhile  :'(

You are quite right that the other side of Borden offers better approach with some nice pockets right in front.
Too bad it will have to wait until next season.

Tex, I am currently reading the Combs' book and have Dec's book on order. I think I got enough books for now to sink my teeth in. Thanks.