Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red springs  (Read 15617 times)

ribolovac02

Re: Red springs
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »

wool.in.fast.water..........right

those fish are tough to get  to bite on roe and shrimp at the best of times.

Totally agree,i have had a very good day tho,one year in the morning hours,all the fish were cought short floationg jigs tipped with prawns,and one of the fish was abullit chrome sockaye,but at the time when i was fishing the pool was loaded with fish,never happened again,its always been one or none for me

Silex-user

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »

Ever try fishing for red flesh springs in Stamp river? I used to go over to  fished the Stamp river during Labour Day weekend and done quite well.  The bottom end of Somass river where  Swanson pool is quite good when it is high tide which push lots of fresh chrome springs in.

Silex-user

buck

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »

SterlingC

The Chilliwak River has three stocks of chinook that return to the Vedder system.  1. Original red chinook ( indigenous ) spawn late September - Mid October Less than 20 fish

2. Transplanted summer reds from Slim Creek - spawn late Aug - Mid September 500 + fish                                                     

3. Transplanted Harrison Whites which do have a few red fleshed fish mixed in, these are not
                                                                                                                    original Vedder River red springs. Spawn Mid October - Late November 25 k + These red fleshed
                                                                                                                    fish are still considered to be white chinook. They smell like white chinook, look like white chinook
                                                                                                                    and their flesh colour turns almost white close to spawning. Some sort of genetics going on I guess.

4. Egg  targets: Original Chinook - as many as possible. None the last few years.
                                                                                                                                       Transplanted Reds - 500  k  if possible.     
                                                                                                                                       Harrison Whites - 1.2 Million

5. Last two years returns have been poor - closure of limits hole to protect brood stock

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

Why were original red chinook (indigenous) eggs not used for spring salmon production in the early days?
I guess that the Chilliwack hatchery has been in operation for decades, so twenty or thirty years ago there would have been more plentyful supply of indigenous salmon available for artificial fry production.  I am just curious, why Harrision whites, which are not much favoured among many fisherman, were so widely introduced into many lower mainland rivers.

island boy

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 07:00:17 PM »

tee spoons
you kill it, you clean it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 08:29:59 PM »

I am just curious, why Harrision whites, which are not much favoured among many fisherman, were so widely introduced into many lower mainland rivers.

In a nutshell, it is because most LML streams are very poor in nutrients - the Chilliwack/Vedder in particular.

The Fraser fall-run stock group (where the Harrison stock comes from) is unusual because the fry migrates to the estuary immediately upon emergence from the gravel. In the estuary, they rear for three to six weeks before moving offshore, rather than spending  90-150 days in freshwater as is typical of most other stocks with an ocean-type life history.
The sooner they get the hell out of a sterile river, the more they increase their chance of survival. The more chinook come back to spawn and die, the more nutrients they will provide to an otherwise nutrient poor river.
Other stock wouldn't stand a chance to establish a sustainable run.
Simple, eh? ;)

So, look at white springs in a more positive light. They actually help sustain all the other species in the Vedder that we like to catch. 8)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:18 PM »

Ever try fishing for red flesh springs in Stamp river? I used to go over to  fished the Stamp river during Labour Day weekend and done quite well.  The bottom end of Somass river where  Swanson pool is quite good when it is high tide which push lots of fresh chrome springs in.

Silex-user

Too bad Swanson's is out of bounds now.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »

In a nutshell, it is because most LML streams are very poor in nutrients - the Chilliwack/Vedder in particular.

The Fraser fall-run stock group (where the Harrison stock comes from) is unusual because the fry migrates to the estuary immediately upon emergence from the gravel. In the estuary, they rear for three to six weeks before moving offshore, rather than spending  90-150 days in freshwater as is typical of most other stocks with an ocean-type life history.
The sooner they get the hell out of a sterile river, the more they increase their chance of survival. The more chinook come back to spawn and die, the more nutrients they will provide to an otherwise nutrient poor river.
Other stock wouldn't stand a chance to establish a sustainable run.
Simple, eh? ;)

So, look at white springs in a more positive light. They actually help sustain all the other species in the Vedder that we like to catch. 8)

Yes, that makes perfect sense milo. Thank you.
Now I know why those smelly buggers were introduced into so many rivers. :)

1son

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »

Nice fish josh I myself haven't caught any reds in vedder only whites would like to land one this year if possible very good thread thanx for the info and knowledge ;D

Rickjames_22

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »

Yeesh Milo, you have to come off so reasonable??? ;D gosh, way to, you know, put it so simply! haha

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »

Yeesh Milo, you have to come off so reasonable??? ;D gosh, way to, you know, put it so simply! haha

Well, you know, I am just a language teacher, not a PhD in Marine Biology.

It's all on the Internet, you just have to find it, summarize it and present it to your students (in this case, a fellow board member).

Full paper here (for those so inclined):

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/2010FrasRvrChkInformDoc.htm