Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Red springs  (Read 15580 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Red springs
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:02 AM »

I am wondering what to use for then and in what conditions you use certain things. I am also wondering what type of water they hold in. Thanks for the help
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Red springs
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »

roe seems to work best for them unless your in faster water then red wool is fine. I have found them in all types of water from shallow right through to deep slow pools but usually i find them in decently deeper slots with failry fast water around their holding spots.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »

Ionno where you plan to fish for them but the vedder run is pretty much nada. I find their harder to find than steelhead and getting worse every year.
[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »

Ionno where you plan to fish for them but the vedder run is pretty much nada. I find their harder to find than steelhead and getting worse every year.

Ditto. :(
The Vedder red spring run has been in severe decline for the last several years. Where back in 2002/2003 we had 6-7 fish days on opening day, today it is next to impossible to find one. The run is so compromised I' wouldn't mind seeing a total ban on retention of red springs until at least September 1.
Every fish counts!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »

The run is so compromised I' wouldn't mind seeing a total ban on retention of red springs until at least September 1.
Every fish counts!

Why? The Summer Chinook present in the Chilliwack River during the summer are not native and are 100% hatchery reliant.

If anything they should close retention to the Red Fleshed Fall Chinook, which are a native run.

Actions speak louder than words.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »

Ditto. :(
The Vedder red spring run has been in severe decline for the last several years. Where back in 2002/2003 we had 6-7 fish days on opening day, today it is next to impossible to find one. The run is so compromised I' wouldn't mind seeing a total ban on retention of red springs until at least September 1.
Every fish counts!
I would go further with that thought and say stop all production of this poorly adapted/poorly researched stock to the C-V.  Their progeny is a group of interior stocks genetically adapted to interior water temperature conditions.  Those temperature profiles don't happen on the C-V as the fish spawn when water temps are still high and fry emerge when temperatures are low and food is scarce.   Natural production from this stock is minimal, if even measureable.
Put this summer red chinook enhancement money where it will do the most good to the watershed - chum salmon production.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 06:33:14 PM »

Why? The Summer Chinook present in the Chilliwack River during the summer are not native and are 100% hatchery reliant.
If anything they should close retention to the Red Fleshed Fall Chinook, which are a native run.

It's actually the early spring chinook that is wild and native to the Vedder, and is already closed to retention. The red fleshed fall chinook are just summer fish running late.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:34:34 PM »

Reds can be hard to find on the Vedder - but one river I haven't checked for years is the Chehalis.  It used to be great - especially when the river flowed down the hatchery side.  I haven't been back for reds in the Chehalis for around 9+ years now!

As for the Vedder, I usually don't start finding (and hooking) these fish until at least mid-July, with the last two weeks in July being "prime time" - if you can call it that.  Too bad the Summer run chinook isn't as big as the Fall run!  Those whities are not even close to the eating quality of the reds IMHO.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »

It's actually the early spring chinook that is wild and native to the Vedder, and is already closed to retention. The red fleshed fall chinook are just summer fish running late.

And what does this have to do with closing the Summer Chinook to retention  ::)

My point regarding them being a 100% hatchery reliant run was just backed up by Dave. So why would you close them?

I have spoken about these runs with Don Johnson over at the Chehalis hatchery and he made some interesting points. These fish are originally from Spius or Finn Creek (can't remember which one of the two). He agreed that these fish are poorly suited to our local rivers and that there likely are more suitable stocks available. That being said, the permits required to introduce these stocks are now impossible to attain.

And no, the red fleshed Chinook encountered in the fall on the Chilliwack are not late running summer fish.
Actions speak louder than words.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »

roe seems to work best for them unless your in faster water then red wool is fine. I have found them in all types of water from shallow right through to deep slow pools but usually i find them in decently deeper slots with failry fast water around their holding spots.

wool.in.fast.water..........right

those fish are tough to get  to bite on roe and shrimp at the best of times.

Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

island boy

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:26:27 PM »

troll the mouth. more relaxing.
you kill it, you clean it.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »

what would you prefere to use at the mouth island boy?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »

There are still a lot of them around.
Made 3 trips last year and landed 13 of them, just need to find them. All one roe, bite time was generally between 8 and 11 am just before sun hit water.
If you don't believe in bite times well... that's another discussion but like I said out of those 134 probably 10 were between those times.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:53 PM »

And what does this have to do with closing the Summer Chinook to retention  ::)

My point regarding them being a 100% hatchery reliant run was just backed up by Dave. So why would you close them?

I have spoken about these runs with Don Johnson over at the Chehalis hatchery and he made some interesting points. These fish are originally from Spius or Finn Creek (can't remember which one of the two). He agreed that these fish are poorly suited to our local rivers and that there likely are more suitable stocks available. That being said, the permits required to introduce these stocks are now impossible to attain.

And no, the red fleshed Chinook encountered in the fall on the Chilliwack are not late running summer fish.

Hey don't get your knickers in a knot or the snotty attitude. There's no need to be so insecure! ::)

I never contradicted what you said about the hatchery fish. I only corrected a little detail about Vedder's native run.
You want a pat in the back for knowing your fish? Sure. There you go. Atta boy! :)

FWIW, you can fish all the chinook you want in the Vedder. I catch mine in the ocean off Ucluelet every year and the occasional Fraser fish... ::)  I will incidentally catch a few Vedder ones when chasing coho, but they all go back unless they are bullet chrome, red or marbled.And yes, I can figure that out without gutting the fish.

joshhowat

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »

Reds are harder to get then steelhead in the Vedder I would say but that being said if you find a pocket they are very willing to bite. As for the red wool it works just fine.
13/07/2010 at 9:09:27 AM on red wool

14/07/2010 at 5:37:52 AM on red wool

Eat, Sleep, Fish.