Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: salmon outlook  (Read 4485 times)

rocky

salmon outlook
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:12 AM »

any idea what the outlook is for the up coming salmon season this year? i can't seem to find any info!

Nitroholic

Re: salmon outlook
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:43 PM »

A hell of a lot of pinks

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »

there will be fish, lots at time and almost none at times  ;)

lets all hope the chum find their way home this year, been 2 yrs in a row without many of them
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

andrew5

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:05:57 PM »

The flyer sale on Berry's bait said 30 - 50 million pinks were forecasted.... I would never say theres too many fish, but that might be as close as it gets... Let's all be thankful that we arre getting back to back good runs and make sure we all do our part to keep the good times going.

1son

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »

30 - 50 million that's way more then the last run we had in '09 gonna be a great season can't wait

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:19:59 PM »

an old native fellow once told me that nature knows when a huge natural disaster is gonna happen and some species will over populate, so that those species can survivie afterwards, ... what day is coming up next year? 2012,

30 million sockeye last year, 30 - 50 million pinks this year, im pretty sure thats over population

Not saying i believe in that 2012 bs, just saying in general. hopefully nothing bad happens an we can just keep fishing with these big fish stocks ;D

azafai

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »

that good 30 to 50 millions are only pink's prediction.  now think about good runs of other salmons adding to that.  I am excited and can't wait.    :)

buck

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »

Other data indicates around 17 million pinks . 30- 50 Million ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:08:41 AM »

The forecast for 2011's Fraser River pikeminnow is great in case anyone is interested... ;D

Keep in mind that these forecasts are simply, forecasts, which have a fair amount of errors when the season is still so far away. In-season estimates will give you a better idea on how many fish will returning. Final escapement is usually a lot different to early forecasts, especially when condition in the Pacific Ocean is unpredictable.

I highly doubt that the Fraser River pink salmon run will exceed 20 million fish (which is still a lot of fish!) if you look at historic return numbers.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:52 PM »

Yes and hopefully everyone will respect even pinks and let the population stay strong.  For at least when everything else fails (god forbids) we would still have pinks..   ;D  ;D

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »

These forecasts are derived from the enumeration of outmigrating fry/smolts from their brood years (which is an estimate unto itself).  The model that is used to forecast returning adults is fraught with significant uncertainties like ocean productivity, fish farms, disease, predation etc..  which explains why forecasts have always had a huge margin of error.  Its like taking a class full of Kindergarten kids and predicting how many will still be alive in 75 years.  You can use statistics to come up with a number based on average life expectancy but the actual number in 75 years could be way different.

In other words I'll be taking a wait and see approach.

azafai

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »

how much was the estimated number of pink salmon return in 2009
thanks.

Silex-user

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:33:21 AM »

It would be awesome to have  predicate 30-50 million Fraser river's Pinks return this year however, would this translate to more commercial fishery opening?  ???See what happen to last year 's Vedder river salmon fisheries with more commercial opening in month of Sept.

Silex-user

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if we had 30 million pinks and sockeyes ? ;)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:14:59 PM »

It would be awesome to have  predicate 30-50 million Fraser river's Pinks return this year however, would this translate to more commercial fishery opening?  ???See what happen to last year 's Vedder river salmon fisheries with more commercial opening in month of Sept.

Silex-user

don't want to get too side tracked, but i think it would be a mistake to have more openings...last year was no exception... people never learn.

who's to say, the sockeye run of last year didn't account for their over all population? i heard stories of fish being thrown away because of lack of re fridgeration space and the commies selling their catch at a fraction of their worth, yet making thousands $ based on their shear numbers... pathetic.