Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River anchor weight  (Read 5815 times)

180gall

River anchor weight
« on: April 04, 2011, 03:10:29 PM »

Hi all I have a 12' smokercraft alaskan light and I am wondering what a good weight would be for a Fraser style anchor  as I plan on welding one up. It will be used mostly above the mission bridge as I live in kilby. I was thinking around 18 lb.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 03:13:06 PM by 180gall »
Wishin I was fishin.........

Butch1949

Re: River anchor weight
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 05:03:56 PM »

I have thru a little research learned 15 lbs. is good  and you should be alright with 18lbs., if you are making it yourself could you post a pic when done and would you consider making another if it appeals to you, I'm wanting one also, I have a 14' Mysty River with just a 10lb. lake anchor at the moment, I've seen some on Craigslist for $20-50, check it out. :P
"I don't catch fish"

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 05:07:39 PM »

Remember that lead and steel have different densities and therefore have different holding power. Lead is typically used in lakes and steel in rivers so you can't really compare the two.

180gall

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »

I have thru a little research learned 15 lbs. is good  and you should be alright with 18lbs., if you are making it yourself could you post a pic when done and would you consider making another if it appeals to you, I'm wanting one also, I have a 14' Mysty River with just a 10lb. lake anchor at the moment, I've seen some on Craigslist for $20-50, check it out. :P
Not a problem. Once I get it done I will post a pic and you can
Let me know if you would like one.
Cheers thanks for the info

180gall

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

Remember that lead and steel have different densities and therefore have different holding power. Lead is typically used in lakes and steel in rivers so you can't really compare the two.
Lead? Where did that come from?thanks for the update

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

Lead? Where did that come from?thanks for the update

Butch mentioned he was using a lake anchor (I assume it's made of lead).

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 04:10:42 PM »

18lbs should be ample in the Fraser providing you're using something like this.  If you're welding it up yourself, make sure you make the cross-piece that the flukes are welded to about 1.5-2x as long as the distance between the points on the same fluke so the points dig into the bottom.

Also, weld a loop at the bottom of the anchor and secure your anchor chain there.  Zip tie the top of the anchor to the chain where you'd think the chain ought to attach.  Should you hook up on a log or snag, the zip tie will break and the anchor will be easily pulled up backwards.  Bring several zip ties, snagging up does happen.

Also, use at least 10' of 3/8 chain in between the anchor and the to keep the anchor laying flat on the bottom where it has the ability to grip.

freddy2596

• I'm an my friend....
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »

What ever you use, lake or river style keep in mind that the waters above and below the mission bridge rip by at a very fast pace, the out going tide is very fast. If you are going to use a 18 to 25 pound anchor to keep you in one spot on a gravel type bottom this is going to feel like 100Lbs when you try and get it up from the front of a 12 foot boat. I have a 14 foot tin boat with a 25 HP and a very good anchor system and avoid any where near the main flows above Mission. (I have travelled the Fraser from Mission to Hope in this boat), When anchored keep a knife close by to cut your line and keep your eye's open upstream for debris coming at you, I have seen tree's the size of trucks fly past me two feet below the water.
Good luck with your adventurs and rember not to boat alone! (I sound like an old man here)

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:41:45 PM »

we used a 15lb with nor prob.Used it with a 12 and a 14 foot,pulling it up was fairly easy and i have a disability.

180gall

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.
I welded up an anchor on the weekend now
Just need to give it a try.

Regards