Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Only?  (Read 9454 times)

Kype

• Try the fly!
Fly Only?
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »

So what is the chance of securing a 'fly only' section of water on one of the LM streams?  Noting the Campbell River has one!!

Ideas?
Try the fly!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Fly Only?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »

i dont really think it will happen around here for a simple reason, not enough officers to check guys, i have never been checked and only seen them once  :o
the campbell is a very nice river and i think it has a fly only section as its heavily fished, escpisaly by the fly guys, and it sure would be nice having a fly only section.
the best ways imo would be letters and emails  :-\
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »

Already have one on the Vedder in May, Silverhope in August and September, and the Seymour all year long.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 08:50:58 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Kype

• Try the fly!
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »

Though if it was on a busy enough river (Chedder / Harrison) the other fly guys would likely help police the regs.  Doesnt have to be a long section of river.

Could even be a stretch of the Fraser with a section of slower water (there are some!!).

Vedder in May is a flood zone for spawning fish = naff.  Seymour lacks fish.  Next?
Try the fly!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »

i think the cap shud as there is alot of guys that dont follow the regs and use barbed hooks or treble hooks.
for the fraser a smart part for fly only wud be pegleg sure wud get ride of 90% of the people  ;)
on the vedder from kwb to the highway bridge cud be fly only, get rid of the night fishers and snaggers.
i love gear fishing but i also love the fly (mostly for salmon and trout).
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »

on the vedder from kwb to the highway bridge cud be fly only, get rid of the night fishers and snaggers.

Whats wrong with the night fishers?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »

Whats wrong with the night fishers?
nothin... if there doing it properly  ::)

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »

I think the cap shud as there is alot of guys that dont follow the regs and use barbed hooks or treble hooks.
for the fraser a smart part for fly only wud be pegleg sure wud get ride of 90% of the people  ;)
i love gear fishing but i also love the fly (mostly for salmon and trout).
You kidding? That statement applies equally to every river I've fished in the lower mainland.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »

You kidding? That statement applies equally to every river I've fished in the lower mainland.
ya now that i rethink that i have no idea why i even said that

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »

nothin... if there doing it properly  ::)

And how do you properly night fish in your opinion?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »

Your are so lucky you responded to Nick's post because I had stronger words to post than the guys that responded to this comment.

Great that you are finding this internet thingy a great thing to reach out and be heard but you don't realize the impact it has because it reaches a lot of people that may know a lot more than a kid that thinks he's got it all figured out. Be prepared to take verbal lumps for comments you make because the chances are, there will always be guys with varying arguments.

Have you even fished the Cap(Ca-pil-an-O)... I mean more than 1-2 times?
yes i have fished it more then a couple times... i have fished it 7 or 8 times. i dont think i know it all, and if you have ideas for this topic on fly only areas then say where you think would be a good area, i said a few areas but i strongly believe the BEST place would be pegleg bar on the fraser during socks season, as its so crowded during sock. season. And for proper night fishing imo i dont think it should be done on a river like the chilliwack as you cant see and is very dangerous. But if your really inclinded to night fish then short floating following regs and not snagging fish and reefing back at the end of every drift, is how it should be done and carry a light.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 05:25:10 PM »

has the NO night fishing on most of our lower mainland rivers been lifted or something  ???

I believe the busy rivers fall under this, of course i cant list them all or even remember which ones specifically
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:34 PM »

has the NO night fishing on most of our lower mainland rivers been lifted or something  ???

I believe the busy rivers fall under this, of course i cant list them all or even remember which ones specifically

Read the regs....
Only certain rivers fall under the night fishing bans and only at certain time of the year.
Look under the salmon supplement.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 03:04:24 PM »

I dont fish moving water in the dark personally so i dont care to check the regs for that info, Thanks though. I do however fish into the dark when lake fishing because i cant think of 1 lake with a night restriction (in the regions i fish)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »

--If you want to restrict the numbers on a particular area then try Limited entry as in hunting regulations... people who get the limited entry would be given something like a tag number that would have to be displayed... It would include dates available for fishing with the limited entry.
--But be aware that YOU may not get a limited entry to that area and it may encourage others like myself who do not fish those waters due to the crowding to also seek a limited entry pass, thus reducing your chances of fishing the area.

--I'm not against fly fishing... in fact I have been a flyfishing club member for many years... but just because you fly fish doesn't make you an honest fisher. Might even attract some of those bad bait guys who would switch to flies just to fish these restricted fly only areas... they might even add scent to the flies!

--Why not restrict the area to people who own pre 1970 red VW beetles?  I'm sure they would make sure no Dodge guys fish there.

--Be careful what you ask for... restricting areas may just  motivate the people you kick out to search out your favourite super secret stretch of river.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:22:57 PM by skaha »