Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: was given a ticket  (Read 29417 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: was given a ticket
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »

Always carry an extra licence in your vest.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 11:50:05 AM »

Always carry an extra licence in your vest.

If you are going to advise someone to break the law (having more than one license), you should at least advise them not to get caught.....   ;D

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 12:13:03 PM »

if thats the case then why are you legally allowed to print 5 ( i think) copies before having to pay to print extras ??

I know i usually print 2 or 3. 1 in my vehicle, 1 my fishing vest/lumbar pack, 1 in my wallet. I will probably be doing one for the tent trailer this year also so that i am NEVER without my license.

the biggest problem i see with this is that lots of people abuse it when tagging off their 10 chinook and/or 10 steelhead per year because you can just have an empty you switch off to  >:(

I personally will update all of them like you are supposed to, not that i ever keep my full license limit anyways
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 12:29:59 PM »

I didn't say it was illegal to print more than one copy. (It's a PDF file so you can print an unlimited number)

Just be aware if you get caught with more than one copy, you will get a ticket.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:21 PM »

If they are all up to date with all the same fish tagged off i doubt you would and why would you have 2 on your actual person ??
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »

If you are going to advise someone to break the law (having more than one license), you should at least advise them not to get caught.....   ;D

Not advocating having more than one licence. Meant to say having an extra copy in your vest in the event you left your wallet at home

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »

If the law meant for you to be able to produce your license at a later date, it would have been written that way.

really..? is that why there's so many grey areas when it comes to the regulations? not only in the wording, but the way they distribute and update changes to the act?

if it was infallible the process of appeal would not be included in it's legislation...i'm NOT saying the guy didn't commit an offense, i'm merely stating if in the past others had been given the opportunity and allotted time to make amends for their mistake, he too should be given the same right and privilege.

bluesteele

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »

lets hope bluesteele and all his fans never have to kill anyone in self-defense and can't prove it to the ones accusing him of first-degree murder.

All I can say is I hope my fans are my witnesses and your not the judge.  ;D

Bluesteele has fan club?!  ;D

shhhh...it's a secret.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

really..? is that why there's so many grey areas when it comes to the regulations? not only in the wording, but the way they distribute and update changes to the act?
if it was infallible the process of appeal would not be included in it's legislation...i'm NOT saying the guy didn't commit an offense, i'm merely stating if in the past others had been given the opportunity and allotted time to make amends for their mistake, he too should be given the same right and privilege.

He has the right to appeal.  But an appeal is meant to address a wrong (ie: if he was wrongfully accused).  It is clear he was not wrongfully accused.  He was asked to produce a license and he could not do so (an offense under Article 97).  Producing his license later is not an appeal, and he has no "right" to do so (and have his charges dropped) simply because someone else did.  While you could make an argument for past precedence,  you would need to cite (with documentation) an actual case where a charge was dropped after the accused produced a license.  This is not going to be easy.  The fact is he was cited for an offense that he was guilty of.  It is tough luck, and it can happen to anyone, but the law is there for a reason.

you must be real dense to think that situations like these are so black and white. and you let the CO ticket you for having a fly with a barbed hook on your hat..  :D last i checked that wasn't against the law. sure, you said you "... tried it today" but you could easily have gotten out of the ticket just by using ur noggin and saying you just tried that PATTERN or something along those lines... you got weaseled out of your money buddy. if you want to graciously donate your money to the government, go right ahead. i'll spend my money on fishing gear.

You missed the point entirely.  Of course I could have gotten out of the ticket.  I could have lied. Perhaps lying to save your money is easy for you, it is not so for me.  I have integrity.  Both the CO and I agreed at the time that I was getting a ticket for being honest.  The bottom line is I did fish with a barbed hook where I was prohibited from doing so. Sure I could have avoided the ticket by lying about it, but that does not make it "right" to do so.  Nor do I have any "right" to appeal the ticket just because I could have "weaseled" my way out of it.  I'll save the weaseling to you.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:52:13 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

bluesteele

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »

Speaking of integrity.....
I have a buddy who had his car stolen. Inside was his debit card with his PIN number on it. You guess the rest the crooks deposited blank envelopes in the ATM's
and made off with over 5 G's.....   He has a thing about lying and told the bank straight up the truth. Result he owes the bank 5 G for being honest. Tuff lesson.

baowu2

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 09:03:32 PM »

phoned up DO this afternoon. According to them, most likely I need to pay for the fine because the Provincial Conservation Officers don't always tell people about the 7-day grace period.  And it's "up to the officers" wether they give you the opportunity to fax your license or not.
Ok, now i get it, it is double standard.  If they like you, you get a chance; if they are not in the mood, suck it up.
And yes, i am still waiting for my disbute court date.  And I will address this issue nicely with the judge, and also yes, i will honestly admit that i did fish for 5mins without my licnese, and got ticketed when the rod's already been putted away.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 09:33:45 PM »

He has the right to appeal.  But an appeal is meant to address a wrong (ie: if he was wrongfully accused).  It is clear he was not wrongfully accused.  He was asked to produce a license and he could not do so (an offense under Article 97).  Producing his license later is not an appeal, and he has no "right" to do so (and have his charges dropped) simply because someone else did.  While you could make an argument for past precedence,  you would need to cite (with documentation) an actual case where a charge was dropped after the accused produced a license.  This is not going to be easy.  The fact is he was cited for an offense that he was guilty of.  It is tough luck, and it can happen to anyone, but the law is there for a reason.

an appeal is exactly what it is...in this case, not to prove his innocence, but to put forth what precedence was set prior, to ensure fair play of *the principle that it is unfair to treat similar facts differently on different occasions[/i]...(known as the Common Law or Case Law Act).

everybody has the right of appeal, it's part of our constitution...by appealing, the courts can easily audit citations that were deemed 'void' and authorized by the Department.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 09:43:42 PM »

phoned up DO this afternoon. According to them, most likely I need to pay for the fine because the Provincial Conservation Officers don't always tell people about the 7-day grace period.  And it's "up to the officers" wether they give you the opportunity to fax your license or not.
Ok, now i get it, it is double standard.  If they like you, you get a chance; if they are not in the mood, suck it up.
And yes, i am still waiting for my disbute court date.  And I will address this issue nicely with the judge, and also yes, i will honestly admit that i did fish for 5mins without my licnese, and got ticketed when the rod's already been putted away.

that's the grey area i was referring to...

reminds me of my boss who got off twice with warnings after being pulled over for speeding by two different cops (who happened to be French Canadian)...as you guessed it, my boss is from Quebec.

You should have taken note of that conversation or even recorded it on your answering machine...or even asked for a name and referral of the phone call because that statement is admissible at your appeal.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:55:57 PM by blaydRnr »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:26 PM »

phoned up DO this afternoon. According to them, most likely I need to pay for the fine because the Provincial Conservation Officers don't always tell people about the 7-day grace period.  And it's "up to the officers" wether they give you the opportunity to fax your license or not.
Ok, now i get it, it is double standard.  If they like you, you get a chance; if they are not in the mood, suck it up.
And yes, i am still waiting for my disbute court date.  And I will address this issue nicely with the judge, and also yes, i will honestly admit that i did fish for 5mins without my licnese, and got ticketed when the rod's already been putted away.

Yes, it is the same double standard as the police officer that decides to let you off with a warning for failing to produce your license.  You could say "...but I was only driving for 5 minutes...and I had already stopped when you gave me the ticket and I wasn't going to drive any more..." but it is the officer who decides if he is going to give you the ticket or not, and if he gives you the ticket, you are going to have a hard time selling it to the judge that you did not deserve it, since you were driving your car without having your license on your person.  Sure you expect the CO to believe you that it was only for 5 minutes and you expect him to believe you that you were not going to fish any more, but you will have to forgive him for not trusting you as he has probably heard the same story numerous times in the past.

an appeal is exactly what it is...in this case, not to prove his innocence, but to put forth what precedence was set prior, to ensure fair play of *the principle that it is unfair to treat similar facts differently on different occasions[/i]...(known as the Common Law or Case Law Act).

everybody has the right of appeal, it's part of our constitution...by appealing, the courts can easily audit citations that were deemed 'void' and authorized by the Department.

Sure, but the "appeal" you refer to is used to prove the Judge in the case did something wrong, overlooked a key fact, did not allow viable evidence (or allowed invalid evidence) or, in this case, ruled contrary to prior precedence. To "put forth what precedence was set prior" you would need to cite an actual case that was heard in court (saying "my friend got off with a warning" or saying "A guy I know had the ticket ripped up when he faxed in his license" is not setting a "precedence").  What you are suggesting is that Officer's discretion (to write the citation or not) is a "precedence" and that is simply not the case.  It is the judge who cannot "treat similar facts differently on different occasions" and it is there that you need to prove "past precedence". A judge, hearing similar facts, reduced the charges or dismissed the case.  That is an appeal.

Now, you are not really arguing that the Officers should not have that "discretion", are you?  That they should enforce the law to the letter every time?  Something tells me that you would not want that. Or, that once one officer lets a guy off with a warning, he (and every other officer) must now let every offender off with a warning? You need to accept that the Officer has the discretion, and if you get them on a bad day, then you have the unfortunate problem of having to explain your actions in court.  (Again, we are not arguing about his guilt at the offense.) 
Not all those who wander are lost

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »

Sure, but the "appeal" you refer to is used to prove the Judge in the case did something wrong, overlooked a key fact, did not allow viable evidence (or allowed invalid evidence) or, in this case, ruled contrary to prior precedence. To "put forth what precedence was set prior" you would need to cite an actual case that was heard in court (saying "my friend got off with a warning" or saying "A guy I know had the ticket ripped up when he faxed in his license" is not setting a "precedence").  What you are suggesting is that Officer's discretion (to write the citation or not) is a "precedence" and that is simply not the case.  It is the judge who cannot "treat similar facts differently on different occasions" and it is there that you need to prove "past precedence". A judge, hearing similar facts, reduced the charges or dismissed the case.  That is an appeal.

Now, you are not really arguing that the Officers should not have that "discretion", are you?  That they should enforce the law to the letter every time?  Something tells me that you would not want that. Or, that once one officer lets a guy off with a warning, he (and every other officer) must now let every offender off with a warning? You need to accept that the Officer has the discretion, and if you get them on a bad day, then you have the unfortunate problem of having to explain your actions in court.  (Again, we are not arguing about his guilt at the offense.)  

it is because of personal discretion that the opportunity for appeal becomes more imperative...we're talking punitive circumstances here, the "appeal" and the outline of the "Case Law Act" was not intended as a reference to the case in point, but a guideline to the basis of the law...doesn't matter whether civil or federal.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:43:54 PM by blaydRnr »