Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: was given a ticket  (Read 29409 times)

baowu2

was given a ticket
« on: March 27, 2011, 04:41:19 PM »

Hi,
last year around late september i was fishing at Cap River, and realized i forgot to bring my fishing license.  I did cast for maybe 5 mins before I noticed i didn't have my licnese on me.  Put my rod on the side and stopped fishing and start chatting with friend.  Shortly after, 2 young I believe either park ranger or conservation officer showed up checking everyone's hook, and license.  One officer asked me, I told him I forgot to bring my license so i stopped fishing.  He said they were far away and saw everyone was fishing.  And at the end, gave me a ticket of $105-not able to present a valid license.  Don't they have to catch you right at the moment when you are fishing in order for them to give you a ticket????
I asked around, a couple friends of mine were at the same situation.  The officer told them just fax their license to a number, and the ticket given to them will just be removed automatically.  They did it, and nothing after.  I just don't understand why didn't I get the opportunity to fax them the license..
I went to dispute my ticket, and since then, haven't hear anything yet. 
What are my chances? and has anybody got into this situation before?  solution?

Thank you for your information!

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: was given a ticket
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

--I see a couple of problems:
--you took away his option by telling him you were fishing and you were fishing without a license.... that's what the ticket is for.
--you have just again admitted to fishing without a license on a public forum
--others there although they may not have expressed it would have been writing into this or other forum about how a guy fishing without a license who didn't get a ticket.

--I say good on you for stopping on your own without being told, when you found you didn't have your license.. just pay the fine and chalk it up to a good beer story and don't buy any lotto tickets,  given the number of complaints here about lack of enforcement.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:28:08 PM »

i say fight it,when they see yu had paid for a licence they might drop it anyway.

bluesteele

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »

Three words :

SUCK IT UP.  ;D

You were fishing without a license. The law requires you carry it at all times while fishing.

Chalk it up to experience and pay your dues. 
CO's will stand back out of view and observe, they obviously saw you fishing and when you cant produce a license it's ticky time.
I am sure many CO have heard "uhhh  I forgot my license"

Bottom line is you broke the law. Even though it sounds like an innocent mistake ....you did it.
Why fight it when you were in the wrong ?  ???

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:59:04 PM »

Phone the conservation office and explain the situation. Showing your licence and the time of purchase usually cancel the ticket like what has happened to your friend.

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:12:20 PM »

i had the same thing, had a licence for the year but didnt have it on me, dfo rolled up in there boat and didnt think anything of it because i had my licence, when they were gettin out of there boat i looked everywheer emptied my wallet like 5 times searched every pocket in my bag **** not with me. they gave me a week to proove it even though i still had a rod in the water while they were talking to me. not quite sure why u didnt get the same chance
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »

fight it....you will win
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »

Make an appeal with evidence to back up your position.
If accepted, you are not out of $105, if not, lesson well learned.
Also, good idea to keep a copy of your license in your car, so you could present a copy if you forgot the original.
I also keep my license in a small zip lock bag so it won't get damaged in heavy rain.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

happened to me two years ago on the vedder in early april. I had just popped by Freds to renew it and accidentally left it at the shop. The CO gave me a ticket for failing to produce a license and gave me one week to prove that I had a license otherwise he would have also charged me for fishing with out a valid license. I guess the two are different infractions. Just pay up, you are required to have your license on your person. They did not charge you for sitting on the side of the river, they obviously saw you fishing.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »

yup fight it...big difference between forgetting a license at home and actually not having one.

the paper itself is just a document to prove you actually paid for the right to fish...it would be no different if it was the other way around where someone falsified a license by photocopying it and changing the owner's name...they could easily run the id number and match it with the person who it's made out to.

worst case scenario you should have been given a lesser fine or at best a written warning with a follow up of proper documentation.

n8

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »

fight it. all the purists on here who whine of lack of enforcement don't realize that this isn't the kind of enforcement we need. this is a cash grab and I effing hate it. if this guy's story is exactly how he said it is, he made a mistake. we all do. this guy was honest enough to do the right thing. give this guy a break. in the grand scheme of things, is it really a big deal that this guy didn't have a licence IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION. look at the bigger picture here ppl... there are many others we shouldn't be giving breaks to... anyone else see SBM's post on facebook? only ONE example of people KNOWINGLY breaking the law. where are the COs when you need them then...

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »

fight it. all the purists on here who whine of lack of enforcement don't realize that this isn't the kind of enforcement we need. this is a cash grab and I effing hate it. if this guy's story is exactly how he said it is, he made a mistake. we all do. this guy was honest enough to do the right thing. give this guy a break. in the grand scheme of things, is it really a big deal that this guy didn't have a licence IN THIS PARTICULAR SITUATION. look at the bigger picture here ppl... there are many others we shouldn't be giving breaks to... anyone else see SBM's post on facebook? only ONE example of people KNOWINGLY breaking the law. where are the COs when you need them then...

ok you tweaked my curiosity...how about you post an attachment to show the rest of us what you're referring to?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »

Three words :

SUCK IT UP.  ;D

You were fishing without a license. The law requires you carry it at all times while fishing.

Chalk it up to experience and pay your dues.  
CO's will stand back out of view and observe, they obviously saw you fishing and when you cant produce a license it's ticky time.
I am sure many CO have heard "uhhh  I forgot my license"

Bottom line is you broke the law. Even though it sounds like an innocent mistake ....you did it.
Why fight it when you were in the wrong ?  ???

he never denied his mistake and as right as you are, sometimes there has to be some 'bend' to allow an honest person to make amends for an infraction that is nothing more than a minor misunderstanding...of course it would have been different if he had continued to fish.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 09:12:51 PM by blaydRnr »

bluesteele

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 09:13:24 PM »

I understand what you are saying BUT there is no bend here. The wildlife act clearly states that if you do not produce your license when requested you commit an offense.
So he clearly broke the law. His intent does not matter. I am not trying too be a hard my friend. It's like running a red light or driving down the HOV lane(by yourself)
 You clearly broke the law. If the officer catches you and decides to give you a warning consider yourself lucky. If not you pay your ticket.

For anyone who is interested heres the link to the wildlife act.   http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/00_96488_01#section97

brownmancheng

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 09:15:44 PM »

SBMs facebook??