Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boater Exam  (Read 9272 times)

strobes

Boater Exam
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »

I just thought I'd put a note up incase some people didnt know.  The rules for the boater exam are changing on April 15th.  From the looks of it, it will be a little more time consuming to get.  You'll have to actually log study hours, take chapter quizes as well the test itself will be going from 36 to 50 questions long.  So if you haven't done so it would be worth it to get it now.

<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Re: Boater Exam
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »

im glad to see the boater exam changing, it was far to easy to get before. i would also like to see them get rid of the free unlimited retrys. makes it way to easy, people would actually make sure they know boating before taking the test if they knew they had to pay $50 each time to write the test, but with the unlimited trys for $50 people can just keep trying. last year i was at a interent cafe and there was a guy taking the test and he had 2 buddies behind him telling him the answers. sure hope hes not cruising the water around where im fishing, just looking for a accident to happen should he decide to venture out by himself without properly know how to run a boat.
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

James

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »

thanks for the info .

boater exam is a money grab for the most part . i can see having to take a exam if you are operating a boat over 12ft with a gas motor , but honestly i don't feel i need to take the same exam if I am operating a 8ft wooden pram with 30lb minn kota .

I wish it was similar to the motor vehicle license . I don't have to take a motorcyle exam to drive a vespa moped , but if you wanted to operate a harley the exam is usefull .

also , it being open book test . very few acutally retain any information after they have completed the exam . even fewer probably put any of that learned to use .

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »

def agree with ya james money grab yes, and i agree should b required for opperating anything say 16ft and up, 10 and 12 ft boats shouldnt need the licence
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 10:25:37 PM »

also , it being open book test . very few acutally retain any information after they have completed the exam . even fewer probably put any of that learned to use .

It is only open book if you cheat.  The majority of the test is common sense, but unfortunately a lot of people are heading out on the water without it (the common sense that is).  The government can make the test more meaningful by simply making it mandatory to write it at a marina or DMV location, so people have less opportunity to cheat.  It doesn't really matter the size of your boat as you are operating it around other larger boats, you really need to know the proper protocols, however, I do not think an electric trolling motor should be included in requirements.
Not all those who wander are lost

James

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:01:14 AM »

it states that even with the new exam , "it will be a open book exam"

so they don't even care .

oh well , gotta do (pay) what you gotta do I guess .

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »

it states that even with the new exam , "it will be a open book exam"

Oh, I see, you were referring to the new format.  Yes, I guess they feel that since they now require you to log the 3 hours minimum of study time, and to pass the 5 chapter quizzes sequentially, they can let you use the book during the exam. I registered 6 months ago, read the study guide once through, then took the practice exam.  Then, because I could not find anyone one to supervise me, I never took the actual exam until last weekend when I was walking through the Boat and Sportsman show and saw them there.  Without having studied the guide again, and having 6 month elapse between reading the guide and taking the exam, I only got 3 questions wrong (and these were ones that my answer was right, but just not the "best" answer).  As I said, the majority of the questions on the exam are common sense, just having the operator read those, even once, may be enough to increase their responsibility on the water.  If nothing else, they will know which side is port and which is starboard, even if they do not remember which side to pass that approaching jet boat on.

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:05 AM »

I keep hearing people say this is a money grab. My understanding is that No money from the exam goes back to the government. They only administer it.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

If the intent of the Pleasure Craft Operators License is to make our waters safer by ensuring that only qualified operatorss get behind the wheel, or in front of the tiller....then I doubt that it be accomplished in its current form. 

At last weekend's outdoors show, my 15 year old son took the test without studying. We do not own a boat and the greatest extent of his boating experience is being pulled behind one.

He passed. I am afraid.

I question the validilty of a test that a 15 year old with no boating experience and can pass on the first attempt without studying.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »

that test is crapshoot you can guess your way through it and make the grade.

Should do that you have to take a safe boaters course to obtain the licence.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

I question the validilty of a test that a 15 year old with no boating experience and can pass on the first attempt without studying.

As I said, the majority of the answers are common sense, so you can rest assured your son has common sense.  Of course it IS multiple choice, so there is also a 25% chance of him guessing his way through (although I have to say the majority of the answers were NOT "C").  At any rate, by making boaters write the test, (or pay a $250 fine if they do not), then the morons will stay off the water (or the government can grab their cash if they get caught).  I got no problem with that.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »

Should do that you have to take a safe boaters course to obtain the licence.

That will be the case as of April...of course it is still an online course and you can always "cheat".  Now you can get a license to drive a car without ever taking a driving course (you only need to pass a "knowledge test" before which they recommend studying "the guide").  However,  you DO need to take a "Road" test, so perhaps boaters should have to take a "Water" test with a qualified examiner and pass a series of specific challenges (loading the boat with equipment and people, passing another boater, navigating a channel, anchoring at night, etc).  Of course, your boater "License" is going to cost a little more than $50 then.  A motor vehicle license costs over $150 (knowledge test = $15 + Class 7 Road Test $35 + Class 5 Road Test $50, + first 5 year License = $75).  Now, they do offer incentives for taking a driving course (you can "graduate" from the Novice stage faster), so perhaps they can offer a break on the $50 License fee if you spend $150 on a safe boater course.

strobes

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »

the main problem is enforcement.  with minimal CO on the rivers and lakes to enforce PCOC.  most people opt to not get it.  at least we as responsible fishermen get it and can fish with a clear conscious. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:00:47 PM by strobes »
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

Butch1949

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »

Definitely agree with James.....money grab.....but.... There are "yahoos" out there, see them on Kawkawa, Allouette Lakes, ready to take lives as long as the it narcissism gets fulfilled.  I studied for three months , wrote the exam and w/2 wrong passed, my wife goes in to their testing area at the boat show, not having studied passes the test and a workmates of ours same story but fails.....point being saving lives comes from the heart, not the wallet.....my 15 year old operates our boat so safely and at sixteen has to take a test to prove, but I'm happy, he's not a yahoo
"I don't catch fish"