Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, February 13th 2011  (Read 1728 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, February 13th 2011
« on: February 13, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »

Got lucky this morning.    First ever Chilliwack steelhead.    Just over 10 pounds.
 I hope I can do as well on the Stamp next week.

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, February 13th 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:32:09 PM »

Nice! Is that one of those T Spoons?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 07:15:27 PM »

VEGA  was that you fishing across from me on Firday?
The Bigger The Better!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:45:09 PM »

lol and i thought the river was blown today
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »

Jeez, haven't seen a tee spoon in years. Those and Devons were the rage when I started.

Dave, showing his age :D

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 10:25:56 PM »

Jeez, haven't seen a tee spoon in years.

When I was a pup we lived in Port Hardy and used T spoons for everything: trout in the river, trout in the lake, coho in the ocean, coho in the river, steelhead.    Caught my first large coho in the chuck and first steelhead on them more years ago than I care to think about.   I always carry one and after everything else fails, I give it a try cause they used to work and you never know.   

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »

When I was a pup we lived in Port Hardy and used T spoons for everything: trout in the river, trout in the lake, coho in the ocean, coho in the river, steelhead.    Caught my first large coho in the chuck and first steelhead on them more years ago than I care to think about.   I always carry one and after everything else fails, I give it a try cause they used to work and you never know.   
Those are basiclly my go-to for trout in lakes, they work wonders and dare I say it, theyre better then blue foxes! Havnt tried them for much else tho I used them before for pinks in the ocean off beaches when its to windy to fly fish work great, but pinks will go after anything  :)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »

congrats on getting lucky. ;D its been too long since i was on the banks of the vedder, i caught my first ever spring on a spinner in the vedder and well the fight was intense. cant imagine the fight of  a steelhead in that flow...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »

congrats on getting lucky. ;D its been too long since i was on the banks of the vedder, i caught my first ever spring on a spinner in the vedder and well the fight was intense. cant imagine the fight of  a steelhead in that flow...
well in the lower river its not to bad in the canal section at least, but in the upper river whole difrent story, up there your chasin that fish.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »

The river definitely was not blown out on Sunday, but I did not have any luck myself.  The river looked great, especially up top.  A little more colour in the lower sections but still decent visibility.  I only heard of one fish hooked in the mid section across from "the tree."  I fished from "the tree" down to the fork, and I was the first through the big run above the fork.  I also tried that little run that I had chicken out on last time out.  The river had dropped a couple of feet so the wade across was easy enough, but the drop in water made the run smaller as well.  It still looked like it might hold something, even a bull trout would have been nice, but alas...  I also fished a run above Allison Canyon but it had been well worked over by a group of four before me.  I did see a small fish roll in the tail out, a small trout of some sort, but could not entice it to take my offering.  I was drifting egg sucking leeches and swinging green butted skunk patterns,  I even tried drifting a stone fly, but that might have been a little premature.
Not all those who wander are lost

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »

Seen a few caught Sunday, river was in not bad shape, here's a nice little doe I took mid river, on a red jig, early afternoon a foot out from the bank

"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB