Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why use a long rod? - GLoomis GLX 1563 CP rod  (Read 12091 times)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Why use a long rod? - GLoomis GLX 1563 CP rod
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »

whats the advantage of having a rod that long? i am not new to fishing but never used a pin before. i would love to pick one up and try but just wondering what systems you use a rod this long on. i personally only fish the vedder but would love to try some more rivers. any knowledge from anyone that has fished with a rod like this would be a appreciated. i was eyeing this rod on g-loomis website but would love some more info before i spend big $. thanks in advance.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Why use a long rod? - GLoomis GLX 1563 CP rod
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »

whats the advantage of having a rod that long? i am not new to fishing but never used a pin before. i would love to pick one up and try but just wondering what systems you use a rod this long on. i personally only fish the vedder but would love to try some more rivers. any knowledge from anyone that has fished with a rod like this would be a appreciated. i was eyeing this rod on g-loomis website but would love some more info before i spend big $. thanks in advance.

loomis touts this rod as a big river rod, its not. You would be hooped on the Thompson. It is a great rod for the Vedder and any river that you want to toss light weight,  the longer rod is really just more of a personal preference

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Why use a long rod? - GLoomis GLX 1563 CP rod
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:56:04 AM »

what other pin rod would you guys suggest in that price range? i wouldnt be using it for chum and chinook but for steelhead and coho.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »

thanks for the info. much appreciated

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 02:30:49 PM »

If you are new to using a pin then stick with what you have till you get comfortable because a 13' rod especially this one would be awkward in tight spots. This rod is not like your typical 10'6 it's more whippy but not quite a noodle. People call the GLX 1563 a 3 power but to me it's more of a 2.5, it feels too soft to be a 3 power but you can totally feel the power half way down the rod to the handle. 

The length is great for float control and keeping line off the water without high sticking too much. The length is also good for absorbing the shock caused when fighting fish which translates to being able to use really light leaders. I personally would not use this rod fishing chinooks or chum but I think Yakideath has a YouTube video of him playing a good sized one so maybe you could but I wouldn't.

I wanted this rod since it came out and finally my wife bought it for me for Xmas. I don't mind the line guides but the sliding rings suck and reels have to be taped down so they don't accidentally fall off. If this rod was sold as a blank, I would have my ideal steelhead/coho rod.

Chrome, I just stripped my GLX! I am redoing all the cork and using a w fitting. I know it will void my warranty but got it for such a good deal I decided to just work with the blank rather than sell and buy another blank. I'll post some pics up when done.

Chrome, tried to sell my

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »

Check out Centerpinangling website if you are interested in longer pin rods for Steelhead and coho.

Hard to answer a question like that when there are quite a few(GLoomis, Lamiglass, Sage, Amundson...) quality rods out there. Personally if I were spending similar $$$'s I would try to find a Sage 3113M/LB  or 3106L for an all around pin rods.

Geoff T had some custom pin rods posted up that would be good as well but is all a personal preference.

I have got one left and it is the 10'6" Lamiglas. Check it out in the buy and sell section. Otherwise the rod builder I use is just finishing up a 3113m green blank and a 2106mb brown blank both in a Pin and with all the bells and whisltes. These both have all the best components and will be going for a pretty penny but man are they worth it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

river walker

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:16:04 PM »

As far as I am aware. From loomis, changing the handle will not void the warranty . As long as you do not alter the action of the rod by cutting it.  But if the but section breaks, you will have to strip it again and redo it .
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »

how about a sage 3113 mb? found a like new one for sale for $450. i like the fact thats its a 11'3 and not 13'. might be good for a newbie pin guy like me. thoughts?

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 11:30:25 PM »

Cant go wrong with a 3113, awesome rod!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »

I have got one left and it is the 10'6" Lamiglas. Check it out in the buy and sell section. Otherwise the rod builder I use is just finishing up a 3113m green blank and a 2106mb brown blank both in a Pin and with all the bells and whisltes. These both have all the best components and will be going for a pretty penny but man are they worth it.

Geff, I met Duncan on the river the other day, and he had one of the loomis blanks with w fitting that you sold him, dang! that rod was a steal for $250! very nice craftsmanship

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:08:30 PM »

Geff, I met Duncan on the river the other day, and he had one of the loomis blanks with w fitting that you sold him, dang! that rod was a steal for $250! very nice craftsmanship

Yes the rods where a steal at the price he just wanted to see them being fished instead of hanging on the rod rack. The price he wanted for the rods does not even cover the cost to make the rods. I am surprised no one has bought the Lamiglas one yet as it is one sweet rod.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 12:27:27 AM »

imo 13' rods are stuiped long for the chill/vedder. Last weekend i was watching a guy just down from me trying to fish a deep run of about 8 feet in very tight trees and brushes he had to wade out a couple feet just so he cud cast and he was in sum swift current up to his belly button  :-\ and still sumtimes catching tree branches behind him. I fished it after him and never caught and trees and didnt have to wade out and i was using my 10'6 fishing about the same depth.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »

I bet if you tried a 3113 or a 13 ft you would want one for sure. Just cuz you saw one guy have some difficulty does not mean anything.  Thats like saying I dont like pizza but have never tried it?
yes good point. I used to have a 9 foot drift rod then got a 10'6 and after a day it felt way better. im getting a pin rod n reel soon and am either getting a 12' or 13'6
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

lapa

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »

I bet if you tried a 3113 or a 13 ft you would want one for sure. Just cuz you saw one guy have some difficulty does not mean anything.  Thats like saying I dont like pizza but have never tried it?
X2. would like to try 18 ft  one for pink fishing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:50:05 PM by lapa »

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:56:16 AM »

I would love to try out a long noddle rod except I don't really want to invest the time to learn how to use a pin proficiently.
Therein lies my dilemma, but the idea is very appealing.