Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to release a steelhead  (Read 3008 times)

Kenwee

How to release a steelhead
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »

I am a newbie, tho I have had lots of experience deep sea fishing in the tropics my river experience is still at the novice stage. I am told that when releasing a steelhead it is best to move the fish forward in the water, lift him out and move him forward again till he recovers. It is not good to move him forward and backwards as doing so could drown the fish, the backward motion could prevent the oxygen flow and could be fatal.

I will appreciate any advice on fish release as this will ensure that newbies like me can learn good release methods and keep our fisheries healthy. Many thanks guys!!!

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Re: How to release a steelhead
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 10:39:30 AM »

Definately unsound info in that.Lifting the fish out of water repeatedly would cause more stress than any back and forth motion.Oxygen will be absorbed by the gills independant of direction of water flow.Having said that, a back and forth motion would only be needed for a very exhausted fish.Best to just hold the fish lightly by the tail wrist till it swims away.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:48:25 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

Kenwee

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »

This is an article by Sidney Snow on how to release a steelhead. Found this on the Internet. In his last 3 paragraphs, he advises that a fish should not be moved forth and back. Could readers please give more information on the release method which will not harm the fish. Many thanks!!

The Release
by Sidney Snow

Most don’t get it. Maybe  your cousin or a friend was recently blown away when you told them that you threw a fish back. “What? Then why do you go fishing if you're not going to eat them?” My neighbor Fred just asked me this question the other day.

Some of us are born with nature in our blood while others seem to be born with man-made materials. Some hike nine and a half miles to camp alongside a mountain stream, others won’t be caught dead in a tent.

We will wake up at 3:30 a.m., drive a few hours and go to extreme measures to get our spot on the river and not think twice about it. Why? Is it to catch a fish? As you know, it’s not that simple. We do all this to experience the complete package, from the morning drive to the river, to the afternoon trek back to the car, defeated or victorious.

A prime example is my solo trip last winter on the Sauk. I found myself chillin’ in my truck parked next to a six foot snow bank waiting for signs of life and light. I had arrived way early and still had about an hour left of darkness. Yes, you guessed it—a restless night’s sleep. The anxiousness continued as I sat there listening to a static AM station playing some kind of old rag-time. I killed the engine and stepped out into a foot of snow. It was in that instant when the magic began, like I was a little kid in a winter wonderland.

I stood there in the complete darkness, sipping my cup of joe, observing the sounds and sights above me. Over and beyond the silhouettes of towering Douglas Firs, hovered the monstrous galaxy full of lights. I wondered over to get a better look, hearing only the crunching of fresh snow under my boots and the rushing river in the distance. Standing there, looking up in awe, there was nothing else to do but ask and thank.

The stars began to vanish, so it was time to grab the gear and walk down a snowy tunnel created by the branches of firs. At the end of the tunnel was a little honey hole I knew quite well, hopefully holding a steelhead or two once again.

Sitting on a big boulder and taking the first casts, I watched the progressive glow of the eight thousand foot, snow-capped peak above me until it dominated half the horizon. What a sight!

I continued my drifts in the prime-time of morning—the anticipation built. I was just waiting for that strike, knowing it could be at any second. If it does strike, how big will it be? That is what fishing is all about, it’s the anticipation, it’s the quest, the adventure into the depths of the unknown. It’s about the escape, the experience and the exhilaration only a day on the river can evoke.

It wasn’t too many casts later when I set the metal into a beautiful steelie. The fish fought like a champ, but for a time during the fight, the fish dove down deep and started head shaking. I stood there with my rod bent back, pulsating to the fish’s every move—and it was at that time where it all sunk in and I let out a big “man scream.”

I eventually landed the fish in some shallows near the tail-out. I held it like Mark Messier was holding the Cup in ‘94, with a big ole smile and out of my mind. It was a nice seventeen pound buck sporting a fist-like kype.

Back to my neighbor, “Why go fishing if you're not going to eat them?” After that amazing experience, how could I now kill this fish that had lent his wild essence as my trophy? How could I? There was even more reward in my releasing him back into the wild. To watch him swim out of my bare hands and live another day.

What a rush! The reward of releasing fish is important for us to teach our children, because they are another reason why we catch and release. Let’s make sure we give them the proper instructions on how to release a fish.

One of my top pet peeves is fishermen who move the fish back and forth in the water. This will nearly drown the fish as he gets pulled backwards, forcing water into the back of his gills. Simply hold the fish in the current—no need to move him at all. In a slack current, move the fish forward, then lift him out of the water back towards you, then forward again in the water. This will keep the water flowing into his gills in the same, correct direction through the entire release.

Keep an eye on the gills and make sure they are both breathing. There have been times when fishermen put pressure on the gill plate in an attempt to free the hook. The gill plate can get pinched under, not allowing the fish to breathe. Unless you are freeing a pinched gill plate, always keep your fingers free and clear of the gills. When the fish feels like he has some power, let him kick out of your hands.

While my neighbor, Fred, is taking the day to wax his car and listen to his police scanner, it’s time for me to sit back down on the boulder and embrace that elevated heart beat and the numbing feeling of triumph. “I love the smell of mucoprotein in the morning...It smells like ...VICTORY.”

For More Kype Aricles, CLICK HERE

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 05:50:36 PM »

This is an article by Sidney Snow on how to release a steelhead. Found this on the Internet. In his last 3 paragraphs, he advises that a fish should not be moved forth and back. Could readers please give more information on the release method which will not harm the fish. Many thanks!!

The Release
by Sidney Snow

One of my top pet peeves is fishermen who move the fish back and forth in the water. This will nearly drown the fish as he gets pulled backwards, forcing water into the back of his gills. Simply hold the fish in the current—no need to move him at all. In a slack current, move the fish forward, then lift him out of the water back towards you, then forward again in the water. This will keep the water flowing into his gills in the same, correct direction through the entire release.

Keep an eye on the gills and make sure they are both breathing. There have been times when fishermen put pressure on the gill plate in an attempt to free the hook. The gill plate can get pinched under, not allowing the fish to breathe. Unless you are freeing a pinched gill plate, always keep your fingers free and clear of the gills. When the fish feels like he has some power, let him kick out of your hands.

The rest of his advice seems sound..Did a quick search on line and could not find any solid info on pulling a fish back and forth being harmfull.Found some info saying gills are designed for water flowing over the gills from the front to optimize oxygen absorbtion.But I did find this info that would indicate it would be harmfull to repeatedly remove a fish from the water.................... {Although there is more oxygen in air than in water, a fish will suffocate in air. This is probably because the muscular system of mouth and operculum which can work in water will not function in air. In other words, the valve system which is water-tight is not air-tight. Another important reason is that when a fish is out of water, the surface tension of the water-film covering the gill filaments sticks them together so that the total surface exposed is very much reduced.}......Remember that everytime you take a fish 's head out of water it is like someone sticking your head under-water,and lifting its body out is like exposing you to an extra g of force
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:54:48 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »

Its fairly simple imo. The fish should not be removed from the water at all if possible. With the hook removed and fish ready for release, it should be held gently facing an oncoming steady flow of water. The flow of water will oxegenate the gills and if the fish has not been exhausted during the fight he/she will swim away in its own time, unharmed and good to fight another day. The more we handle fish the worse so make it fast and the whole process can be done while the fish is still under water. I think a lot of anglers love to take a photo of their catch and this is a great way of taking a trophy home without killing the fish but again this can be done fast and gently. Get your snap as close to the water (just above the surface) as possible then pop your fish back under where it belongs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:28:10 PM by buncranabop »
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »

Fish heavy enough tackle to keep the fight to a couple minutes.  When you tire the fish out, grab its tail with your bare hand (no gloves!), pull the barbless hook out and almost always the fish will have enough energy to swim off after a couple seconds of holding it in the water upright gripping by the tail.  Steelhead water is moving and well oxygenated, no need to work the fish back and forth IMO.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 09:52:38 PM »

Fish heavy enough tackle to keep the fight to a couple minutes. 

I totally agree with Matt that whether salmon or steelhead fishing, tackle should be kept heavy enough to keep the fight within a couple of minutes to prevent exhausting the fish. This season I have seen some people catch 30 lbs springs on 6 lb leader and kind of show it off as testament to their angling skills. It's totally uncool and shows little concern for the welfare of released fish.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

You don't want to horse the fish in either as its liable to hurt itself it goes beserk in shallow water when landing.

Kenwee

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »

Very good advice has been shared, they will good information to help newbies handle steelhead with care and respect. Many thanks guys.

work2fish

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »

I could see the potential for harming the fish if you pull it back and forth roughly through the water- as the force of the water as you pull the fish backwards could put undue stess on the gill plates and the fine membranes of the gills, though I'm sure most show more respect to their steelhead than that.  The gills are also formed such that they are most efficient when water flows through the fish's mouth due to how blood flows through the gills.

Best bet is just point the fish's head upsteam so water flows through it's mouth more naturally if it needs the extra time to revive.