Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FISHING REPORT SECTION, PLEASE READ GUIDELINES!  (Read 13508 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
FISHING REPORT SECTION, PLEASE READ GUIDELINES!
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:45:10 PM »

Welcome to the fishing report section. Before you go on, please read the followings.

Limited to contributors and subscribers
Our fishing report section is now limited to forum members who have made 50 posts or more and FWR subscribers.

Reports only
The fishing report section is designed for members to post fishing reports and trip stories. If you have a question regarding current fishing condition or request for fishing reports, please post it in the general discussion. Please include the location and date of your trip in the topic.

participate responsibly!
We intend to keep this discussion forum a positive learning environment for all. When you participate in our discussion forum, you should do so in a responsible and respectful manner. You should be aware of the followings:

• No profanity: This discussion forum caters users of all ages and profanity will not be tolerated. Many words have been censored out and please do not attempt to use the same words by omitting a letter or two. They will be deleted. We believe that you can deliver your opinions without these poorly chosen words.
  • No flaming or bullying: Cyber bullying is taken very seriously, especially when the recipient is under the age of 18 on the forum. Personal attacks will be deleted.
  • Fishing reports: Fishing reports are to be posted in the fishing reports section, which is limited to a number of users (see below). You should provide a general location and date in your report title. Participants who choose to intimidate reporters who choose to name a specific location will not be tolerated by post removal, loss of privelege in the report section or banning. While we understand that some river systems are more fragile than others, not all anglers are aware of this, so a better alternative would be to privately contact the reporters via email in a respectful manner.
  • Fish photos: Participants are encouraged to share their photos. If you feel that fish are being mishandled in the photos, respond privately by providing constructive feedbacks. Remember, fish handling techniques are knowledge that entry-level anglers may not be aware of.
  • Re-read before posting: Words can be interpreted in different ways so it is important for you to re-read before posting. What appears to be funny to you, may not be at all to others. If you wish others to read, respect and absorb your view points, you must first earn it by doing the same when posting.
  • Bannings: If a participant chooses to break these rules and our registration agreement repeatedly, he or she will be banned permanently.

Other fishing reports and news
You may also want to check out the main fishing reports section on the website. These reports are often updated weekly when guides, lodges and outfitters send their reports in from different regions of British Columbia. There is also a news section where fishing related news and regulation changes are posted on a daily basis.

Useful links
The following links maybe useful for you when planning your next fishing trip.

Trout stocking updates
The trout stocking database are updated whenever we receive data from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

Region 1 | Region 2 | Region 3 | Region 4 | Region 5 | Region 8

Observe, record and report!
To protect our natural resource, BC Ministry of Environment and Fisheries and Oceans Canada require your help to catch violators. When you witness violations, please contact:

BC Conservation Officers
1-877-952-7277

DFO Observe and Report
1-800-465-4336

marmot

• Old Timer
Commenting on Fish Handling in Reports threads.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »

I think that people need to recognize the importance of accepting constructive criticism.  It enables learning while its negative counterpart, defensive behaviour, limits knowledge and encourages ignorance.

In many report threads, posters who attach photos demonstrating poor fish handling skills are criticized for doing so.  This is a good thing, but it can turn into a bad thing.  Both the O.P. and following contributors need to realize a few things if they want to have a worthwhile discussion.  I have a few suggestions that I'd like to make and hopefully those reading today can take note.  They are simple suggestions.

To the original poster:

1.  Don't make excuses.  Making an excuse is an outright rejection of constructive criticism.  It's better to just keep quiet and register what is being said.
2.  Ignore non-constructive criticism.  It is a waste of your time to listen to the many people that will jump on you after mob mentality sets in.  It happens here all the time.
3.  Learn and move on, thank the person who pointed it out respectfully.  We all make mistakes.

To potential critics:

1.  As was demonstrated in a recent thread started by Damien (nice fish by the way), it is possible to provide constructive criticism in a mature manner that people will be receptive to. 
2.  Don't be afraid, if nobody has done so already, to speak up.  Fish handling skills are important and a public thread allows many people who may not know better to learn from the mistakes of others.
3.  Once it's been addressed the poster does not have to hear it again and again and again.  The more it is repeated the less receptive the original poster will be to constructive criticism.
4.  Realize that your comments reflect on yourself more so than the person you are commenting "against".

We all want to see improved fish handling out there.  Following some basic common sense and courtesy can turn a pic of poor fish handling into a learning opportunity.

that's all

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Commenting on Fish Handling in Reports threads.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:48:26 AM »

I'm going to move this to the reports section and sticky it. Great post.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:20 AM »

Great post, marmot, I entirely agree with pretty much everything you've laid out here.

3.  Once it's been addressed the poster does not have to hear it again and again and again.  The more it is repeated the less receptive the original poster will be to constructive criticism.

This is one that I myself am often guilty of not considering.  I will remember this going forward, thanks for the suggestion.
:D
Tex

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »

Well said, marmot

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »

Good post.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »

One hundred percent.Thank you. :)
Riverman

loveforstellies

• Thump! huh? Fish on!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:31:48 PM »

Well said and great post!! I think some of the points in this post apply also to life in general.  :)
jza