Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Okanagan River  (Read 2934 times)

hohartmann

Okanagan River
« on: December 28, 2010, 04:07:02 PM »

Just wondering if anyones has fished the okanagan river between osoyoos and Okanogan falls? whats in there and what should i use if i decide to go. Any help is very appreciated so thank you in advance. ;D

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Okanagan River
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »

Well, after irrigation job in sixties it looks more like ditch than a river. It contains small mouth bass below Vaseux lake. Rainbow trouts come to visit from Osoyoos lk in Feb and March. Oxbow around it contain some fish as well. I say, try Similkameen instead. It is a relatively short ride from south Okanagan River

hohartmann

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »

okay thank you it didnt really look like an area that would hold much. I will defenitley try the similikameen one of these days any tips on that river? what to use and  spots?

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »

Fished the river below Vaseux Lake in July and landed 3 nice rainbows in the 20 inch range, handful of small bass and lots of Pikeminnow which were quite large. The rainbows were quite a surprise I must say. We used spinners, worms and flies, every single bait produced. Put in the effort and you might be surprised what you find ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

hohartmann

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:59:17 PM »

thanks alot man i will defenitley try that out ;D would it be worth trying now like this time of year?

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:33 PM »

thanks alot man i will defenitley try that out ;D would it be worth trying now like this time of year?
I do not know, I have only fished it in the summer while on a trip to Oliver a couple times, check the regs as I think there is a closure at some point as well. Only one way to find out anyhow :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 10:29:41 PM »

--definitely quality fish in the river... biggest problem is access due to lots of private land. I would try any where you can access it.
--we've been having coastal weather .. without the rain lately..
--trout for sure.. I see several guys fishing near the hwy bridge north of Oliver...
--just check the regs as several seasonal regs and I think you cant fish close to some of the dam structures.. they might be posted on site but check as regs may now be changed.. haven't fished it for several years but got enthused this year

--you might want to contact local BCWF club as they are both hunting and fishing.. active in restoration work on the Okanagan river, they might have some good access tips plus you may get interested in working on local river and lake projects.

hohartmann

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:28:59 AM »

thank you very much guys i am going to head out today see how i do  ;D

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »

A few catfish in there too to my surprise lol.
[