Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Furry Creek Foreshore public access  (Read 4368 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Furry Creek Foreshore public access
« on: December 23, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »

C&P from an email today. I'll provide a link for the doc when I have a chance to upload it to my server later on. If you still want to enjoy fishing for pink salmon next August, then you better start doing something about it.

Rod, a while back I had shared with the fishing community the fact that a small group of residents at Oliver’s Landing Townhomes in Furry Creek were lobbying the SLRD to privatize the public foreshore. Your members’ submissions in this respect, along with many others was considered by the SLRD Board and they ruled against this private club and their efforts in this regard (well done and thank you for your valued input).

Since then the Oliver’s Landing Boat & Kayak Club have learned that the SLRD is not the legal upland owner and only holds a right-of-way lease on the foreshore. The private club is once again attempting to privatize this public area through applying for a private lease through the Integrated Land Management Bureau, as the province is the actual upland owner (see attached notice).

Many residents and visitors are again up in arms over this second attempt at privatizing the foreshore when it was made so clearly apparent through the SLRD review and board resolution that the there was no support for this, and the interests of the public and community must come first. Also, it has bothered some that the club chose the Christmas season to go this route as the add that they were obligated to run in the local paper (copy attached) would be seen by few over the holiday period (I’m surmise a strategic decision on their part).

Once again I am bringing this issue to your and the fishing community’s attention in the hope that you and/or your members will once again let your thoughts and concerns be known to ILMB prior to the public consultation January 20th cut-off date. Many fisherpersons recreate in the area on a year-round basis, and are welcomed by most residents and visitors alike. Information below in red:

The shoreline and waters of Howe Sound offer incredible recreational opportunities for all residents and visitors.  The natural topography of Howe Sound limits public access opportunities to a very few places, public access should not be further restricted by eliminating one of the few safe public water accesses on Howe Sound and affording it to the members of a PRIVATE CLUB for their exclusive use.

What can you do about it:

Tell the Province what you think about privatization of your public foreshore.

Comments on this application may be submitted to the Integrated Land Management Bureau (ILMB) until January 20, 2011.

The Land File Number is 2410543. Comments on this application may be submitted in two ways:

Online via applications and reasons for decisions database on the Integrated Land Management Bureau (ILMB) website at: www.arfd.gov.bc.ca where details of this application, including maps can be found.

By mail to the Senior Land Officer at 200 - 10428 153rd Street, Surrey, BC V3R 1E1. Comments received by the ILMB until January 20, 2011.

Comments received after this date may not be considered.

Please join us in opposing this application and circulating this notice to others who may be interested.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Re: Furry Creek Foreshore public access
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »

I will go anyway. 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

I left a comment.  Thanks for posting this information.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »