- 13 (18.8%)
neoprene
- 16 (23.2%)
fleece+ softshell
- 7 (10.1%)
other
- 9 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Fishing gloves  (Read 9797 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing gloves
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 02:11:01 AM »

When the weather gets really cold and wet I use SealSkinz gloves.

THey don't look thin enough to be able to fish in, be it fly casting, thumbing a levwind etc

oni_kage

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 03:53:58 AM »

Today I tried out something that worked out really well. I bought some cheap $10 tight fitting fleece gloves from MEC and I put nitrile gloves over them. This turned out to be a cost effective way to get wind/waterproof gloves that are warm. The nitrile layer surprisingly helped to keep my hands warmer than if they weren't there. I figure it has to do with it being non-breathable and creating a small dead air section.

Another bonus was I could handle fish and bait without having to worry about the fish's health or dirtying the fleece gloves. All in all, there was some loss of finger dexterity, but I was still able to cast/thumb and tie well enough. Either way I would definitely suggest trying it out. Just make sure you buy tight fitting fleece and nitrile gloves. Also make sure to bring extra nitrile gloves in case a hook punctures it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 04:08:56 AM by oni_kage »

fetoid

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 06:20:39 AM »

THey don't look thin enough to be able to fish in, be it fly casting, thumbing a levwind etc

M:  You may be right.  I use a baitcasting reel and I'm hoping the slits in the pointer finger and thumb will allow easy use.  We'll see.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:38 AM »

There is not any glove on the market that works under all fishing conditions. I refuse to put my hands down my pants either. I gave that up when I was a kid. Booze only makes things worse unless you are able to sit down in front of a nice fireplace. Hot choclate would work the best. The hand heaters that were mentioned work really well, but I find the warmer your hands get with a heater the faster they get cold. I have tried gloves from every supplier and none of them work "while" you are fishing. Probably about the best is some sort of waterproof or water re sistent glove with a silk sleeve under the glove.. At best this will only help and won`t really cure the problem.Good Luck and Tight Lines.

Fish Slayer

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »

Wool gloves with the cut off finger tips are the best as wool will still insulate even if it is wet and your finger tips are free for refitting if needed. Just be sure to take what ever gloves you decide to wear off before tailing any steelhead or salmon that you decide to release as they will create substantial slime loss to the fish.