Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help. Daiwa luna Problems!  (Read 4317 times)

shi man oh man

Help. Daiwa luna Problems!
« on: November 20, 2010, 02:53:01 PM »

I have been fishing the daiwa luna for the past 3 months, and loving it. Today i was out on the water, and noticed my reel was not casting the way it should be. where before, the slightest flick would send my float right across the river, now i could barley get it half way, i always take great care of me reels, IE lube , clean , dry, reel case etc.  It seemes the reel is stickey. any advice?    Problem #2  as i was tinkering with the casting adjustment knob, which made no difference to casting ease, which normally it does, I LOST THE KNOB, it fell off and i could not find it anywhere,    where can i find a replacement knob, any shops carry this stuff, or do i need to order it?  any advice, or info always appreciated, thanks guys. tight lines

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Help. Daiwa luna Problems!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 02:56:33 PM »

Your problem is losting that casting adjustment knob. I had my reel nice and set, but when I got it serviced It was all out of wack. So get that knob replaced and tinker with it and the spool knob untill your happy with your casts.
The Bigger The Better!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »

Did you get your reel wet?

That combined with subfreezing temps may reduce performance. 

azafai

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »

if it is only less then a year old and you have the receipt it is still under warranty.
get it with the receipt to Mike's Reel Repairs in Abbotsford.  They fix it for your cost covered by warranty and there you can get another knob too for cheap.
worst case scenario you need a clean-up and lube service for it and that cost around 20 to 25 dollars.
I did the same for my Luna after I cleaned up myself couple times and noticed it is still not as smooth as used to be.
I also did a bushing to bearing upgrade for its shaft.  you can ask them for upgrades available for any given reel when you drop your reel for service there.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/contact_us.php

shi man oh man

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 11:10:58 AM »

Thanks for the tips, Are adjustment knobs available anywhere other than reel repair?  any tackle shops carry replacement knobs?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

Did you get your reel wet?

That combined with subfreezing temps may reduce performance. 

Good point.  Also, did you keep an eye on your rod and the eyelets?  These get wet and ice may form reducing casting distance.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »

if it is only less then a year old and you have the receipt it is still under warranty.
get it with the receipt to Mike's Reel Repairs in Abbotsford.  They fix it for your cost covered by warranty and there you can get another knob too for cheap.
worst case scenario you need a clean-up and lube service for it and that cost around 20 to 25 dollars.
I did the same for my Luna after I cleaned up myself couple times and noticed it is still not as smooth as used to be.
I also did a bushing to bearing upgrade for its shaft.  you can ask them for upgrades available for any given reel when you drop your reel for service there.

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/contact_us.php

Hey azafai - what was the turn around time?

azafai

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »

Hey azafai - what was the turn around time?

Hi FFM
I was dropping it in the morning around 9:30.  They offered my the same day but I could not pick it up that late in the day.
I asked for two days later and they accepted it.

azafai

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »

they have a good stock of parts.   if they don't need to order the parts the repairs and service are done pretty fast.