Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about roe  (Read 3859 times)

Preliator

Question about roe
« on: November 19, 2010, 08:51:17 PM »

Just a quick question with Steelhead season just around the corner. Do you guys prepare / cure your roe any differently for Steelies than you'd do for Salmon?

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Question about roe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:33:11 PM »

no steelhead are even dumber than salmon....it doesnt really matter what you use until say late season when they stack up
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »

If you can find them they're prone to bite whatever you put in front of them.

I like bugs

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 09:41:43 PM »

What is it that makes them such aggressive eaters? The cold temperature perhaps?

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 09:45:31 PM »

HUNGRY TROUT  8)

Danube Boy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »

If you can find them they're prone to bite whatever you put in front of them.

This can change once they've seen everything off an A&N shelf a few hundred times, been hit in the head with lead a thousand times, and snagged in the body once or twice.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 11:40:02 PM »

This can change once they've seen everything off an A&N shelf a few hundred times, been hit in the head with lead a thousand times, and snagged in the body once or twice.

so true...these fish can sometimes baffle the best of fishermen.
i've out fished roe chuckers using plastic worms, yet on the flip side, i've been schooled by old timers using fresh uncured steely roe to my extensive arsenal (including bugs and cured steely roe).

Fisherama

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:34 AM »

I try to stay away from roe since it can be a bit of hassle during steelhead season.  A good alternative is making spawn sacs from water hardened singles (you can buy these at most tackle stores).  I usually vary the sizes of the spawn sacs based on water clarity.  Also, adding a drop of shrimp oil can do wonders.     

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:58 AM »

Although I like my roe a lot, I feel naked if I don't have some fresh bugs with me. Nothing out fishes bugs IMO, but you can use such a wide variety of things these days, and all still work well. Someday's the roe shines, someday's the pink worm shine's, but bugs always shine.  ;D

Another good thing is the jig, tipped with a roe bag or piece of prawn, easy to fish, not messy, and you don't have to take your gloves off on those real cold days.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:45:13 AM by Bently »

Preliator

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 10:31:37 PM »

The use of bugs is very interesting.  As for roe sacs, could using different colours like a green for example, be effective?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »

The use of bugs is very interesting.  As for roe sacs, could using different colours like a green for example, be effective?

Sure.  I'm no expert, but it seems to me that steelhead are likely to engulf something they haven't seen before.  This could mean the first lure/bait they see in the morning, or maybe a jensen egg after a previous angler has worked through with a pink worm, or in your case, perhaps a green roe bag.  My best steelhead last year was on a BC orange gooeybob and chartreuse wool combo after a few anglers had worked the pool with pink worms and another colour of wool.

I haven't fished much roe for steelhead, but i fish bags a lot.  I feel that the more water you fish, the more likely you are to connect, so I prefer fishing artificials or roe bags so I don't waste time re-baiting.  That said, I've cured up some really tough roe this year for steelhead, see how that goes.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »

roe sacks are one of my favourite...have had lots of success with them...and it helps alot when its freezing out.

Preliator

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  Hopefully my midwestern roots will keep me brave in the cold temperatures for my first Steelie season  :D

n8

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »

one of my buddies just cures with rock salt but adds food coloring to the roe. he doesn't add any scent at all. as natural as possible scent-wise but with a brighter color. seems to work ok for him. and btw, he uses a different color food coloring... prolly wouldn't think to use this color.