Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Matching Rod for Sage 1880 Reel  (Read 7519 times)

azafai

Matching Rod for Sage 1880 Reel
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »

Hi all
I got it.  I don't know what rod should I pick up.  I like to stay more on the budget side but don't like to go too cheap either if I have to.
looking for using it for river salmon fishing.  I am a complete novice in this.
thanks.
https://www.flyfishingoutfitters.com/sage/s/viewitem.aspx?pid=rls-sag-1800-880
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 06:17:07 PM by azafai »

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Matching Rod for Sage 1880 Reel
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:21:50 PM »

have a look at an 8wt in one of these brands which will fall around $300 or less

Echo - 9foot or 10foot
Dragonfly
Temple Fork Outfitters
Amundson Wind Warrior series (i mention the series because this is Amundson's only series with lifetime warranty)

Im sure there are more lower end name brands but these would be your best bets to find locally
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

azafai

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »

Thank you Hook,
I appreciate it.

Banny

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »

Look for something with a decent fast action to make throwing tips easier.

For middle of the road rods price wise these are all good choices
Amundson Wind Warrior
Echo 2 freshwater
Scott A3
Sage Flight
St. Croix Legend Ultra
Beulah guide series

I have not tossed a wind warrior 8 weight but have a 6 weight rod I use for stillwater fishing and they are top notch for the price you pay.  Another added benefit is that Amundson warranty service is superb and local.   I personally use a Legend Ultra 8 weight and would recommended it to anyone.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:39:29 PM by Banny »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:38 AM »

Banny - go back and read the warranty on their rods. some are only a 1yr unconditional however the WW series is lifetime (some others might be also). Thank you for pointing out the Sages, i always forget about them because the ones i look at buying are not cheap LOL

I own an Amundson WW spey rod and its very very nice !! and i cant believe how light their graphite is for the price
Check out our new blog

Banny

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 11:49:40 AM »

I said nothing about the duration of the warranty I was speaking if the service which has received quite a few glowing comments on another forum.

It is an important consideration with all of the horror stories about rods heading to the states for warranty fixes and disappearing for weeks or months (Ie St. Croix and Scott before they got their acts together)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 03:55:50 PM »

if you want a slightly higher end company to deal with that has AWESOME warranty and turn around times then take a look at Beulah. i sent my rod back on a cfriday and had it back in my hands 2 wednesdays later  ;D turn around was less than 2 weeks !!!!

Sage takes anywhere between 4-8weeks on average  :-\ I say this because i just sent 2 rods back last year and they took between those time frames. Thank god i was done trout fishing for the year when i sent them

Amundson's best part for their warranty is that you can call their factory|(located in Burnaby) ahead of time and have the broken peice made up then just drive to their factory with the broken peice and get the new peice in hand right there, can pay there also i believe. Turn around ?? could be as little as a couple days !!!!
Check out our new blog

doja

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 04:53:51 PM »

Amundson's best part for their warranty is that you can call their factory|(located in Burnaby) ahead of time and have the broken piece made up then just drive to their factory with the broken piece and get the new piece in hand right there, can pay there also i believe. Turn around ?? could be as little as a couple days !!!!

My dealings with Amundson was beyond what I expected. They were great to me!!! And as a result I will definitely consider them the next time I buy a rod.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:55:49 PM by doja »

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »

I have a Wind Warrior 6wt switch rod and it just broke of at the 3rd guide down, was tossing a floating line with a beadhead leech on it. Not sure if I can find the reciept as we've been in a constant state of upheavel for the last couple of months. Any of you guys got any advice on the warrenty process?
Cheers,
Nick

Banny

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »

Contact them and ask.  Or drop by their place in Burnaby.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:23:51 AM »

Going to drop by there today, thanks!

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »

Dropped by there today, great service! Replaced the tip section even though I didn't have the receipt.