Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you in favour of extinguishing the HST and reinstating the PST in conjunction with the GST — yes or no

yes
no

Author Topic: Question of the day  (Read 5894 times)

Novabonker

• Old Timer
Question of the day
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:45:43 AM »

Yay or nay?
http://

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Question of the day
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:36:05 AM »

I think this should be in General Discussion not:   Fishing-related Issues & News 

burnaby

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »

Why do we have to wait till Sept 2011 to vote. The earlier the better. Of course the Lieberals wants to stretch the tax collection as long as possible. That extra 7% food tax adds up.

CameronT120

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »

Which food?  It only applies to the processed crap (junk food) that we shouldn't be eating anyways.

The better poll question would be: "How many people think that the HST is a tax that has been implemented in addition to the PST and GST"?

Kenwee

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »

The HST is a good tax for the province. It allows us to be competitive with Ontario, though consumers will have to now pay tax on some items that were not previously ST taxed.
The tax benefits most businesses as they are not able to reclaim the PST part of the HST whereas previously they could not. This exempt allows businesses to upgrade their machinery which will increase productivity and this will encourage employers to hire more needed staff thus creating employment.

It might hurt the individual consumer somewhat, but on the whole it creates less administration function in a business and encourages employers given the tax incentive to hire new employees. Also,'it gives businesses a higher competitive edge in their products.

No pain no gain!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »

--I like the HST, I don't like the way it was introduced with no debate and do not trust nor support those who brought it in, however ... it is simpler and cheaper to collect.. it is new thus needs some fine tuning rather than wholesale changes.

--there is nothing stopping the goverment of the day from reducing the provincial portion of the tax or even refunding the provincial portion on some items. If we went back to GST/HST it would cost us more to collect as now HST is collected by the feds.

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »

I believe that we were blatently lied to by the FIBRALS prior to the last election, when they claimed they were not even tempted to implement the HST. As soon as they won the election they did exactly what they told us (during their campaign) they were not going to do. They did this despite the overwhelming opposition to the tax voiced by the decieved electorate. I cannot forgive this one and I think it is important to press on with recall and ultimatly dismantling the HST, as this would send a warning to polititions, that there can and will be harsh consequenses for dishonesty and manipulation in public office.
When you consider how many additional items we are now taxed on I don't believe it's benificial to the vast majority of us!

CameronT120

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »

Dismantle the HST and replace it with what?

Everyone wants government services, but don't want to pay for them.

CameronT120

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 06:20:07 PM »

Another thing, have you noticed that Ontario would love nothing more than for us to scrap the HST (and is quite vocal about it)?  Ponder on that for a while.
If businesses leave BC for a province with a more favorable tax system, some of you might be wondering what happened to your jobs.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »

I'm sure there will be a few layoffs in the restaurant/pub type business here because of it. Most people I know go out less now because of the extra costs. Not to mention the drop in spirit sales over the concern of being nailed to the cross for having blown nearish to .05 from one drink.

Anyone donating to MADD this year? I'm on the no donor wagon. Gave to the HST.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

jimmywits

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »

I know a number of bar and restaurant owners and they all say they hate the HST, as it's bad for business. If we are talking about the prospect of Job losses look no further than the HST and the unnecessary .05 laws wreaking havoc on a once vibrant industry.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 11:07:11 AM by jimmywits »

jimmywits

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »

Dismantle the HST and replace it with what?

Did you not read the POLL question that the rest of us are responding to?

deepcovehooker

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:14 AM »

If the big issue is that business will save money because the HST is deductible why not go back to the PST and make it deductible as well.  In addition how long will it take business to pass down their new profits to the people in price adjustments.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 12:00:18 PM »

Why do we have to wait till Sept 2011 to vote. The earlier the better. Of course the Liberals wants to stretch the tax collection as long as possible. That extra 7% food tax adds up.

--I think it is quite obvious that the NDP also wanted the delay... as they were on the joint committee which decided to go to referendum rather than take it to a vote in the legislature where they would have to stand up and be counted.
--I don't see how either party can now get rid of the tax... just like the Fed Liberals kept the GST. Bottom line is we need to see the books... I'm not yet convinced (ie haven't even been shown)  that the HST has a higher net revenue given the NEW business deductions which were included... was it a tax grab or tax gift with a shift in who is paying the bulk of the tax. Show me the books...is there is a net tax gain to the province and do we need the money. I'm willing to pay my fair share of the debt but I want to see the bill and who's paying it.

jimmywits

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 05:37:03 PM »

If the big issue is that business will save money because the HST is deductible why not go back to the PST and make it deductible as well.  In addition how long will it take business to pass down their new profits to the people in price adjustments.

Forever and a day!!