Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heading to Portland for a new boat!  (Read 2370 times)

Robbie

Heading to Portland for a new boat!
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »

I'm heading down to Oregon this weekend to check out a 17' Alumaweld.  If the sea test goes well and we settle on a good price im going to buy it.  I did a search and found some good info here, but maybe someone could fill in a few blanks for me.  First thing i was thinking was how to pay?  Seller is asking 12000$ so cash is a viable payment option.  Would I have to declare that I am bringing that much money into the US?  Also wondering about what Binder Insurance is, from what I understand, I need that to tow the vehicle?  Is that good for multiple states?  I should also do a title check on the hull and the trailer, would that be through U.S customs?  Maybe Canadian customs?  The old post said to get a separate bill of sale for the trailer and the hull, is a hand written receipt sufficient?  Lastly, I will need to pay HST upon return, is this paid at the border or do I pay it at ICBC?  Damn confusing stuff if you havn't been through this before.  Anyhow, any tips would be appreciated.  Cheers!

santefe

Re: Heading to Portland for a new boat!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »

You want the 'title' for the boat and the trailer.  Taking 10,000 cash or more you are supppsed to advise US Customs.
Canada customs want to see the title documents, your visa will take care of the HST.  I went to ICBC and got insurance coverage.  To bring the unit back with me.  I bought in Washington, the plate stayed with the trailer and the owner gave me the licence papers and the  title documents.  Customs give you a form that shows you paid the HST so all you do is show that to ICBC agent and pay for the trailer licence.  My info may be a couple of years old but think it still is current.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:13:33 PM »

You will also need a letter from the trailer manufacturer stating that there are no outstanding recalls on the model that you are buying.  Just phone them with the make and model of the trailer and they will email you a copy fairly quickly.  Also, you will need to have the trailer inspected when you get it back across the border. 

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »

Good stuff guys, thanks for the tips.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:43:01 PM »

It was the case that ya needed a letter about any possible re-calls on boat trailer but I'm 95% sure that the rule has been changed.
Guess it just bogged down the procedures too much.

Yes get the titles as they are very very important.  When ya get into Canada customs they know what to do...takes about 10 minutes.

But the very easy method is buy a new boat trailer here in BC (aprox $2000) & insure it.  Then just go down & load the boat.

Mind ya if ya do not lke the boat...it would be nice if your commited to buying a boat in the USA ...(better deals & good selection)

Hope ya find the boat your looking for(this may just be the one for ya)  Found it rather a bit stressful bringing up a boat & trailer from Washington St as I also had lots of questions etc... but it all worked out.
 Well worth the trouble as the boat we picked up has been a joy to own.
(by the way Rod's fishing stories with his dad have been a joy to read...my favorite fishing & boating partner has been my "pops" as at 85 yrs old he is limited to the activities that we can do together...play crib...meals...watch a good football game etc.. but boating & wetting a line(s) have been an adventure)  
When our "pops" pass on to the next world there will be great memories .
Many many days of being on the USA bought boat stick out in my mind.
Memories that will never fade.
Robbie go for it but buy wisely & not with emotion. Make sure everything checks out & looks in good shape. If hte boat has been on the market for awhile then you the buyer has the upper hand so use that power...get a good deal.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:51:23 PM by arimaBOATER »

Robbie

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »

Well, I went down and got one!  2005 alumaweld talon.  Had it out for a test run and it ran great.  http://www.cascademarinecenter.com/cgi-bin/SearchEngine/jsp/photo_gallery.asp?boatid=2898010&pageno=1&picpos=9&sspath=
Now I just have to finish all the paperwork and and make it legit.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 10:29:47 PM »

But the very easy method is buy a new boat trailer here in BC (aprox $2000) & insure it.  Then just go down & load the boat.

Excellent advice!

It seems that all Canada is concerned about is getting the taxes on a boat that you purchase. However if you bring over anything with wheels, that's where you can have a lot of hassles with licensing, insurance and recall checks.  Save yourself a lot of hassle and take a BC bought trailer down to pick up your boat.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

CONGRADS are in order. Fine looking boat.
Your going to have alot of "good times".  Main with a nice kicker to boot!

(ya alwaysfishn if we ever go down to up-grade to a larger boat..we will definately bring down a BC boat trailer...)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:56:16 AM »

Nice boat! Here is a usefull link to help anyone hoping to bring back a boat from the US http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html#aug10