Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Historic Fraser Sockeye Fishery Caught in Hi-Def  (Read 3576 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

andychan

Re: Historic Fraser Sockeye Fishery Caught in Hi-Def
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »

During one of the last openings of the season, Gillis documented the "set" of a lifetime for Captain Mitch Ponak and his crew: over 35,000 sockeye in one seine.

So that works out to 2 per 17,500 fishermen on the fraser - who spent on gear, gas, licenses etc...seems like better value to scrap the commercial boys.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:18:42 AM »

During one of the last openings of the season, Gillis documented the "set" of a lifetime for Captain Mitch Ponak and his crew: over 35,000 sockeye in one seine.

So that works out to 2 per 17,500 fishermen on the fraser - who spent on gear, gas, licenses etc...seems like better value to scrap the commercial boys.
Maybe in your eyes, but to me it,
Sounds like the boys on the Snow Queen made about 30 grand a man in one set, good for them.They needed it.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:20:33 AM by Bently »

burnaby

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 07:17:06 PM »

Yup, 35,000 for one seine yet only 2 per Rec. angler. Wonder how wide spread the double/triple... dipping was.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 06:52:12 AM »

Well, all I can say is that hopefully in 4 years we have this same discussion again....

burnaby

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »

Conversely I hope we don't have these kinds of conversations ever again. 10-15 million socks yearly makes for some challenges and less crowding. These boom to bust cycles are awful. In an ideal world 10m a year makes for far more interesting fishing.