Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Fraser River chum salmon reg. changes  (Read 8368 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: 2010 Fraser River chum salmon reg. changes
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 07:39:18 PM »

does anyone really target the chum when there is coho present anyways?
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:40:31 PM »

May I know why chum retention is such a hot topic? They tase like ***, even fresh. I'd take a Coho any day over a chum thats starting too rot in the ocean, before it makes it way upstream.
So you've tasted *** before.....
Hmm interesting.

doja

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »

"But if you hook multiple chum and the officer feels you are fishing water holding chum he may write a ticket."
Well its pretty obvious thats not going to happen a)no officer is going to stay there to watch one fisherman in specific b) the river is still open for Chinook and Coho retention and you can catch chums in the mix on any part of the river and c)You cant change up your baits to try and avoid catching chums because they will take everything that the open species will take.

"It may be wise to avoid waters with lots of chum as the vedder seems to be specially regarded as it is the only one I know of that has no chum fishing stated and they very well might enforce that rule in areas."
Do you have an inside tip that we don't? They stated in the fishery notice it is closed for retention until the end of the year, they arent going to make a special regulation to close areas of the Vedder to avoid chums because like I said above you can catch chums in any water on the river. It;s just common sense.

Wrong!!!

It is closed to fishing. Try reading the regulations for a change. ::)  Most all other rivers are closed to retention but not fishing. Seems odd the vedder gets the exception, but if you fish there often it is no surprise why this rule is in place.

For the most part you are fine but if you fish a slow pool/tail out loaded with spawning/pre-spawning chum the officer may decide that you are intentionally targeting chums. And there are spots that hold primary chum and it is impossible to avoid them. If you fish there you ARE fishing for chum amongst other species.

Or if the un-ehtical fishers are dragging chum in then it is pretty clear they are fishing for chum amongst other species.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:50:56 PM by doja »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »

Alright super angler you tell everybody here how they are not going to connect with chums in the vedder.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

May I know why chum retention is such a hot topic? They tase like ***, even fresh. I'd take a Coho any day over a chum thats starting too rot in the ocean, before it makes it way upstream.

With it being closed I would not go out and specifically target them. That being said if they were open I would make a few trips just to try and target them as they put up one heck of a fight. Not really there to keep any as I can have coho instead.

How does *** taste anyways?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

I get a kick out of chum fishing before a day of Sturgeon.
not concerned with retention.

doja

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »

Alright super angler you tell everybody here how they are not going to connect with chums in the vedder.

Ughh, If you fish a spot and get lots of chum and nothing else you are fishing for chum... pretty simple!

For the most part you get a mix of fish but there are spots that I know of that will produce many chum and it is impossible to not constantly hook into them. Some of these spots are good fishing until the chum show up and then it is a pain to keep from hooking them. the coho also seem to be less and less present in these spots too.

I'm just saying if you hook many chum in one spot and nothing else it might better to move on.

There is a reason they closed it VS closed to retention.

And to answer you question, me being the "super angler" (LOL) you move to another part that has considerably less chum. Pretty simple.... And worked the last time out ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:06:13 PM by doja »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »

"Ughh, If you fish a spot and get lots of chum and nothing else you are fishing for chum... pretty simple!"
I don't fish those spots but sounds like you know the chum honey holes.

"I'm just saying if you hook many chum in one spot and nothing else it might better to move on."
Like I said, it's common sense.

"There is a reason they closed it VS closed to retention."
I guess your missing the point. Sure it can say closed but it is impossible to not avoid them.

Take the Fraser River for example, when Sockeye is closed and it says no fishing for Sockeye. People are still out their using methods that intercept Sockeye when Chinook is only open. You dont see officers handing out tickets to these individuals catching and releasing Sockeye. Im arguing your point of saying an officer may ticket you for catching and releasing Chums. It isnt going to happen!!!

doja

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:19 PM »

"Ughh, If you fish a spot and get lots of chum and nothing else you are fishing for chum... pretty simple!"
I don't fish those spots but sounds like you know the chum honey holes.

"I'm just saying if you hook many chum in one spot and nothing else it might better to move on."
Like I said, it's common sense.

"There is a reason they closed it VS closed to retention."
I guess your missing the point. Sure it can say closed but it is impossible to not avoid them.

Take the Fraser River for example, when Sockeye is closed and it says no fishing for Sockeye. People are still out their using methods that intercept Sockeye when Chinook is only open. You dont see officers handing out tickets to these individuals catching and releasing Sockeye. Im arguing your point of saying an officer may ticket you for catching and releasing Chums. It isnt going to happen!!!

I looked in the regulations and I don't see sockeye even listed. So they are not closed to C&R. Where are you getting your info from???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 08:52:06 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=127842&ID=recreational

From the Freshwater Salmon Supplement-
"EXPECT IN-SEASON CHANGES!

During the year, a number of important regulation changes may have to be made in specific waters. These management changes and additional openings and closures are indicated in red on this page. You can also click on Updates on the left bar to see Fishery Notices."

Maybe you should try reading the regulations for a change. ::)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:00:51 PM by Trout Slayer »

doja

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 09:13:27 PM »

OK, so why did they close the vedder to fishing for chum instead of retention?

And what dose this mean???

And you are saying that if a species is closed to fishing it is ok to do so???

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »

"OK, so why did they close the vedder to fishing for chum instead of retention?"
Maybe tomorrow you should call the number provided on this fishery notice and get back to us if you are so concerned. In the Freshwater Salmon Supplement it says "No fishing for chum" in the fishery notice provided here http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=128553&ID=recreational it just mentions the daily limit being reduced to zero.

"And what dose this mean???"
???

"And you are saying that if a species is closed to fishing it is ok to do so???"
No, it is not alright. But on systems where other species are open and you are very likely going to encounter the closed ones it is unavoidable. Which makes it impossible to justify handing out a ticket.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »

"OK, so why did they close the vedder to fishing for chum instead of retention?"
Maybe tomorrow you should call the number provided on this fishery notice and get back to us if you are so concerned. In the Freshwater Salmon Supplement it says "No fishing for chum" in the fishery notice provided here http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=128553&ID=recreational it just mentions the daily limit being reduced to zero.

"And what dose this mean???"
???

"And you are saying that if a species is closed to fishing it is ok to do so???"
No, it is not alright. But on systems where other species are open and you are very likely going to encounter the closed ones it is unavoidable. Which makes it impossible to justify handing out a ticket.

I dont think you will ever get through to him....... ::)

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

doja

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »

Notices are in addition to the regulations. ::)

Notices are sometimes incorrect. But you should know that as you read them more then me.

If you constantly drag your gear threw a school of spawning chum then you are possibly breaking the rules.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:41:55 PM by doja »

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »

"Notices are sometimes incorrect. But you should know that as you read them more then me."
This is probably true.

I'm out.