Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mind your wake  (Read 3027 times)

beansagain

Mind your wake
« on: October 20, 2010, 07:06:04 PM »

Hi all,
had a great day on the Harrison (its a big river, so no secrets have been revealed)
I fish from a smallish boat and managed to flip her on the way home.
Reminder to always wear PFD and have dry clothes.
Big thanks to Rod of Bent Rods Charters for the tow back to Kilby.

Also would the people with bigger boats please mind the wake that you produce?
It is a common courtesy to ease up when you see others in the area.

Tight lines.

beans

Kype

• Try the fly!
Re: Mind your wake
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 07:21:07 PM »

and common courtesy to people fishing from the bank waded in up to their armpits!!  >:(
Try the fly!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

It's also important to remind folks that boats moving past you on plane, at high speed make the smallest wake they are capable of.

I mention this because a lot of people get upset when a boat goes by them at full speed not realizing that the wake would be much larger if the boat slowed down....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 09:37:13 AM »

--agree either troll speed or on step full plane... its the in between... slowing abruptly and plowing through at 1/2 speed is no help to anyone.

Morty

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »

Same here - my jet makes the smallest wake full out.  Far too often when I pass others at speed they're shouting and giving exaggerated thumbs down signals.  The only way for me to make a smaller wake is to go dead slow but that's going to take forever to get past people.

The biggest challenge comes in trying to get to anchor in fast moving water.  I sometimes have to have a fair bit of throttle on just to keep up to the current and 'stand still' relative to the beach.  That causes a fair wake and others along shore give dirty looks and accuse me of "coming in too fast".

We each need to simply do the best we can at any given moment and try to understand that the other guy just may also be trying to do the best he can.

[ BTW - I love how the spell checker has 3 different correct spellings for exagerated ;-) ]
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"