Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink salmon at the Capilano  (Read 11613 times)

slurpie

Pink salmon at the Capilano
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:45 PM »

Pink killed on the Capilano today. 

It looked like a spring jack, chrome as can be.  But upon closer inspection, .... low and behold..., a pink buck (the oval spots gave it away, esp on the tail)!  Saw it with mine own eyes!  And shocked as all heck.  I've fished long enough to know the difference.  This year is not a pink year on the mainland, so it's understandable that it was mistaken for a spring jack. 

Has anyone else seen this?  Could this be a lost island fish?  Does the Seymour have an even year pink run and this is a lost Seymour pink?
 ??? ???

gofishon

Re: Pink salmon at the Capilano
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »

And it didn't have black gums or that chinook odor? Very strange  ???. I am certain the Seymour is odd years also.

slurpie

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »

gums were black...
I couldn't smell it over the adult spring right next to it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 11:00:41 PM »

It's quite plausible. I saw a sturgeon caught at the mouth of the Seymour during pink season a few years ago.

Nitroholic

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »

Took this a couple weeks back in the hatchery

mirak

• Afilal Freestyle Football
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:11 PM »

wow well those are some mixed up pinks  ;)

slurpie

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »

Wow... unless the hatchery is experimenting with enhancing even year pinks, could these be lost island pinks?

Took this a couple weeks back in the hatchery

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:54:39 AM »

I read an article about how pinks are the "salmon of the future".  Apperently they are more capable of thriving in a warming ocean and because of their 2 year cycle, they are more responsive to environmental changes, as well, the article said that of the 5 pacific salmon they are the worst trackers.  They often get lost and end up in non natal stream...this and the 2 year return allows them to grow and expand their range more quickly in a changing environment.  

I would assume this is one of those lost pinks.

Now the damage to killing that pink (in terms of a run/resource) is pretty limited because its probably the onyl fish of its type in the river and most likely wouldn't have found a mate but it kills me in that its just another sign of a another F******* beak on the river that doesnt know his A** from his elbow!  Pinks look NOTHING like springs...Jack or adult...the tiny scales on a pink, the lighter spots that are elongated (not round) the usually pointed jaw (pink), etc...just another STUPID angler.  Put that guy on the vedder and its a Cultas sockete being mistaken for a coho.  Man I hate hearing stories like this...proves how many dip s**** there are out there.

AND NO IT IS NOT UNDERSTANDABLE THAT THIS MISIDENTIFICATION OCCURED....thats like saying I was flossing sockeye and springs...when I hooked that THOMPSON STEELEHAD, I thought it was a spring because thats what I was expecting to hook.

What ever learn your fish identification!

bcguy

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:09:11 AM »

I read an article about how pinks are the "salmon of the future".  Apperently they are more capable of thriving in a warming ocean and because of their 2 year cycle, they are more responsive to environmental changes, as well, the article said that of the 5 pacific salmon they are the worst trackers.  They often get lost and end up in non natal stream...this and the 2 year return allows them to grow and expand their range more quickly in a changing environment.  

Now the damage to killing that pink (in terms of a run/resource) is pretty limited because its probably the onyl fish of its type in the river and most likely wouldn't have found a mate but it kills me in that its just another sign of a another F******* beak on the river that doesnt know his A** from his elbow!  Pinks look NOTHING like springs...Jack or adult...the tiny scales on a pink, the lighter spots that are elongated (not round) the usually pointed jaw (pink), etc...just another STUPID angler.  Put that guy on the vedder and its a Cultas sockete being mistaken for a coho.  Man I hate hearing stories like this...proves how many dip s**** there are out there.

AND NO IT IS NOT UNDERSTANDABLE THAT THIS MISIDENTIFICATION OCCURED....thats like saying I was flossing sockeye and springs...when I hooked that THOMPSON STEELEHAD, I thought it was a spring because thats what I was expecting to hook.

I think you are having difficulties expressing your true feelings... ;D ;D ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

BladeKid

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »

X2      ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »

Cool on the pinks being there...

If 1 has been caught and 1 spotted in the hatchery then surely there have been many more.

Is it not late in the season in the year for a chrome pink???

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »

I think there are a lot of guys right now that are feeling really raw about this type of thing.  There is some clown on Facebook standing there with the biggest S*** eating grin on his face you have ever seen...he's holding a dead thompson steelhead that he thought was a spring.  Title of the album with that pic is "another good day snagging on the fraser".  We heard reports of coho and steelhead bonked during sockeye season,  a pink on the cap, cultas sockeye on the vedder, etc, etc, etc, etc.

I never heard/witnessed so many infractions like this when i was learning to river fish salmon 20 years ago.  Yes there internet had made us more aware but I think that flossing sockeye is increasing the number of new anglers out there that dont have a clue.  I spent a long time learning how to river fish.  This included learning what presentations work best on which fish, etc.  People who floss, they don't know what they are going to hook because they aren't targetting anything...they are out there snagging what ever is in the way and due to a weak knowledge base, they make mistakes like mistaking steelhead for springs, pinks for springs, sockeye for coho, chum for springs, etc, etc (saw that happen on the cap)...anyone see a pattern here?  Thats right they cant tell ANY ONE SALMON FROM ANOTHER!!!  >:(

I would be interested to know where these guys were fishing and how they were fishing ie were they flossing.  Any specifics slurpie?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »

Slurpie, I think you should kneel in front of Gooey and beg for forgiveness. Kissing his feet would be optional but it'd gain you more credits for future sinful acts.

As a moderator of this discussion, I'd be happy to set up this arrangement in the near future to resolve any potential conflicts.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »

Hey Rod, I appreciate the offer but I think its unneecasry...it wasnt Slurpie that killed the pink...the way the report reads "saw it with my own two eyes" makes it sound like he witnessed someone else act. 

Now if you can figure out who that beak is, then I'd be happy to pass the details along to DFO and then that beak can pay restitution to the appropriate authorities for "his sins".

Seriosuly Rod...a pink being confused with a spring...a steelehad with a spring, etc, etc why are these obvious mistakes like this being made? 

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:01 AM »

PS - Rod, tell me what you think of the Thomspson steelie being bonked.  If that outrages you (as it has for many others) then this pink should be no different.  You see we cant say, oh it was just a pink or it was just one lost fish out of a healthy run.

The issue at the root of this problem is a lack of species identifaction skills and as I pointed out its the same issue that leads to cultas socks being killed on the ved or coho and steelhead being killed on the fraser during sockeye. 

So Rod put the sarcasm away and take a stand...is species identifaction important or not?