Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fish Bags  (Read 5287 times)

tumbleweed

Fish Bags
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »

This is a stupid question but.... when you are at the river and you don't have a cooler with you, what do you put your fish in. I see guys with garbage bags, but have been told they have chemicals in them so that is not a good idea, plus they are black and your fish will start to cook.  ???

NiceFish

• Old Timer
Re: Fish Bags
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 09:56:01 PM »

on the rare occasion i have a few fish to take home with me,  i haul them around in a burlap potato sack

shakespug

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »

I keep seeing people carrying their prized catch bare-handed with no bags.

I'd like to do that too sometime this season...if I don't keep bird-nesting that is.  :-\

FishOn36

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 03:15:17 AM »

My buddies dad made a bag out of vapor barrier (used for house insulation?) with his food saver vacuum sealer machine(s), it's capable of holding about 6 coho without breaking (and it's probably capable of more). A pretty genius idea if you ask me! Most people I see either put em in garbage bags or just carry them though.

HARLEY

• flyfishing
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »

on the rare occasion i have a few fish to take home with me,  i haul them around in a burlap potato sack

I am not sure if I would want to put this type of bag in my vechile--Unless it is extremly hot out, at which time you have to have a cooler and ice to look after your fish, that is just part of the trip. A plastic bag works just fine. At least your vechile won`t smell like a fish cannery.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:02 AM »

I always bring a garbage bag or something that size along, only so I can transport it to the cooler sitting in my trunk. My vest has a pouch for fish along my back but I still want a bag so I don't have to scrub it down each time.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »

I use the "Contractor Bags " sold at Crappy Tire they are extra,extra heavy duty and can easily hold 25lbs of fish. They have good resistance to tearing,have no chemical deodorant inside and just rinse them out and reuse them on the next trips catch.
 I carried in one off the Fraser 4 socks and a small spring back to the car when my buddy forgot to bring a bag.

Ikea blue shopping bags are perfect to carry fish off the river if you don't have a steelheaders/river vest.
It ain't the roe bro'

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »

I use the clear Trophy XL bags.  They are large and strong.  Most tackle shops carry them

mirak

• Afilal Freestyle Football
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:29 AM »

I use the clear Trophy XL bags.  They are large and strong.  Most tackle shops carry them
Ya these bags are really strong  :)

gman

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:57 AM »

I do the same. If I'm hiking a long way from my car then the fish goes in the fish bag (Trophy XL type), then that bag goes in a garbage bag (double seal now), then the whole thing goes in my all weather packsack.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »

I am not sure if I would want to put this type of bag in my vechile--Unless it is extremly hot out, at which time you have to have a cooler and ice to look after your fish, that is just part of the trip. A plastic bag works just fine. At least your vechile won`t smell like a fish cannery.
I've always had a truck so I just toss it in the back, however you could always put the burlap into a garbage bag as well. I don't trust garbage bags as they do have chemicals in them to break down food waste. What I like about the burlap is that I can easily soak the fish if i'm moving around a lot while fishing while not having to leave my fish sitting out in the open for everyone to see (and invade my territory) haha

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 08:27:39 PM »

Burlap  or a whaite cotton sack (read pillow case).  You can wet it down and let evaporative cooling do its work.

Garbage bags - yeach... bad chemicals  :-X

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

Burlap  or a whaite cotton sack (read pillow case).  You can wet it down and let evaporative cooling do its work.

Garbage bags - yeach... bad chemicals  :-X

The black garbage bags I buy have no chemicals added to them. Mind you the plastic they are made of is not "food grade" plastic so no food should be stored in them. Fish has it's protective coating so there should be no problem with it being "contaminated". I have never had a problem or concern with carrying my fish from the river to my home in a black garbage bag. However I never leave my fish in the black garbage bag in the sun. That will ruin a fish in minutes...

I've tried cloth bags but can never wash them out properly and my wife wouldn't allow me to use the wash machine. I was only able to use them once and then I threw them away because of the smell!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[