Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hey dragonspeed or anyone (micro 4/3)  (Read 4081 times)

andychan

hey dragonspeed or anyone (micro 4/3)
« on: September 24, 2010, 01:55:08 PM »

So what do you think of the whole micro 4/3 concept - portable with pretty good pic quality - almost dslr...

You like? dislike?

I have an opp to switch from my lx3 to an olympus e-pl1...

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: hey dragonspeed or anyone (micro 4/3)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »

So what do you think of the whole micro 4/3 concept - portable with pretty good pic quality - almost dslr...

You like? dislike?

I have an opp to switch from my lx3 to an olympus e-pl1...
The big reason to stick with SLR is variety and choices - particularly with Canon and Nikon.  SLR systems allow you to continue growing and stay with your manufacturer of choice.  Most other systems limit you out pretty soon.

I haven't looked carefully at the other choices since I was coming from the film SLR world and simply migrated to the digital side of it.

marmot

• Old Timer
Re: hey dragonspeed or anyone (micro 4/3)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:33:05 PM »

I LOVE IT.

I got the panasonic lumix GF1, my friends with full size SLRs are jealous because I can bring mine around in my pocket.  With the 17mm 1.7 pancake it comes with you can get some gorgeous shots.  The ONLY thing aboud the GF1 is that it lacks in body image stabilization.... so either you get used to shooting without (and this WILL teach you to take better photos) or you buy lenses with stabilization.

ALSO....something to consider.... you can get adapters over ebay for cheap (mine is a fotodiox) that allows you to use vintage lenses like Canon FD and FL primes... to me that is the coolest thing since sliced bread.  I have about 8 lenses now and 20 or so filters from my great uncle that up until now were collecting dust... and there is just no comparison in lens quality these days... not a hit of plastic on them :)

If you doubt the quality you'd get out of one have a look online at flickr in photogroups for micro 4/3 with legacy lenses...insane stuff.

You pay a little more but for portability to me it's worth it...the best camera is the one you have with you. 

If you have any questions about it email me, I may be able to give you answers more meaningful than a professional because I'm a beginner myself.