Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Just curious how many out there think the Fraser River should be closed down for good for salmon. (Recreationally)

Close the Fraser permanently.
- 5 (6.9%)
Keep things the way there are.
- 49 (68.1%)
Close it for 8 years. (Allows for 2 full cycles of all the salmon species.)
- 11 (15.3%)
Undecided.
- 7 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: October 23, 2010, 06:03:26 PM

Author Topic: Shut down the Fraser River?  (Read 11729 times)

BladeKid

• Old Timer
Shut down the Fraser River?
« on: September 22, 2010, 05:41:16 PM »

The poll is regarding recreational fishing, as commercial and native are whole other issues.

Michaelt

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Shut down the Fraser River?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »

Why should we do this when other sectors including the ocean fishers would continue to fish?

If you can get the governments to pay more attention to environmental issues all salmon species would be doing a lot better.

Take the recreational angler, who in most cases are really concerned about the welfare of our fish out of the equation things will get a lot worse for their well being.

andychan

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:10:56 AM »

The poll is regarding recreational fishing, as commercial and native are whole other issues.

Michaelt

why?

roeman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:21:30 AM »

That makes absolutely no sense.
Close the Fraser.
Oceans fishing remains open, ever been to any lodges on the West Coast and see the numbers of fish that recreational anglers take.
Close the Fraser, but what about the Vedder, Chehalis, Harrison, Stave.
It would be interesting to know sales from lower mainland fishing stores in Aug 2010 compared to Aug 2009.
The entire economic benefit is huge.  I know that is not enough, but there is allot more benefit from recreational sport fishing compared to FN fishing.  When my family has a ceremonial purpose someone bakes a cake.
My rights have changed since my grand parents, maybe other peoples rights need to change as well...
That would be the first place to start in my opinion...
Are you fishin or catchin

burnaby

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »

Eliminate the human race from the face of this planet for 1000 yrs would do great wonders for nature.
Any action in a bubble is at best ineffective. Closing just sports fishing will only change the type of whining.  ::)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »

No need to close down the entire Fraser.  Spot closures may be ok though.  It seem the bulk of the problems of hooked coho and steelhead stem from the Peg Leg area.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »

No need to close down the entire Fraser.  Spot closures may be ok though.  It seem the bulk of the problems of hooked coho and steelhead stem from the Peg Leg area.

I agree, the DFO could enforce newer boundaries and dates to eliminate the majority of the non-tidal upper sections until they feel the bulk of fish have made their way . This would counter the poaching and " mistakes" that are being made...to a certain degree. Native fisheries would still be exempt , but that's another story all together.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:29:22 PM by Bently »

lovetofish

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

Why should we do this when other sectors including the ocean fishers would continue to fish?

If you can get the governments to pay more attention to environmental issues all salmon species would be doing a lot better.

Take the recreational angler, who in most cases are really concerned about the welfare of our fish out of the equation things will get a lot worse for their well being.
I completely agree with Chris on this one.
As far as spot closures, That just moves the masses to the open areas where the same problems will crop up. Education and enforcement is needed in these areas.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »

I completely agree with Chris on this one.
As far as spot closures, That just moves the masses to the open areas where the same problems will crop up. Education and enforcement is needed in these areas.

Ever wonder why PegLeg is so productive for both Socks and Springs and anything else that swims through there?  When the Fraser is lower near the end of August, it becomes a narrow channel that the bulk of the runs must swim through.  The chances of hooking up a steelhead or coho are much higher there than any other bar.  Its similar to the top end of Landstrom bar (which has been closed for a number of years).  If too many steelhead and or coho are hooked in a particular area, then that area should be close IMHO. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

The sockeye salmon opening should have been closed sooner (after Labour day at the latest) in my mind to protect threatened species like Interior coho salmon and steelhead.

Didn't those that choose to go after them have enough by then anyway?

burnaby

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »

Imagine closing all fishing for 8 years. For sure all species would benefit. Leave them all alone, let nature take it's course.

Oops, forgot I was on the fishing site and not the PETA site. NVM.  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

Imagine closing all fishing for 8 years. For sure all species would benefit. Leave them all alone, let nature take it's course.

Oops, forgot I was on the fishing site and not the PETA site. NVM.  ;D
Be carefull Burn, Pamela Anderson is related to my first cousin, so I could turn you in. ;D ;D ;D

roeman

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 07:15:58 AM »

If taking the recreational fisherman off the river earlier would have protected the migration of other salmon...
Imagine if the nets came off the river earlier, what that would do...
Why start with the fishing that has the least impact,
Are you fishin or catchin

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

2010 Fraser River Panel Sockeye Review - Sept 17, 2010:

Canadian Commercial Catch: 10,015,500
Fraser River Aboriginal (FSC): 514,650
Areas 12-124 Aboriginal: 273,980
Recreational: 289,230

Catch Accounted-to-date: 13,109,160
Potential Spawning Escapement: 11,906,620
Total Accounted-to-date: 25,015,780

Recreational accounts for 2.2%

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »

Recreational accounts for 2.2%

I wonder how accurate this actually is....   I've heard that they account for it by doing their fly overs, counting the number of recreational fishermen and multiplying that by the daily limit....

Anyone know for certain if that's how they count?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[