Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2010  (Read 4529 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2010
« on: September 22, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »

So I had canceled all my plans to go fishing today, told 2 people I was not going...had things to do at home. But...I couldn't sleep, body woke me up around 4:30 this morning and felt wide awake. Said to myself screw it I'm going, yanked some roe out of the freezer and packed up my vest and waders and out the door quarter after 5am.
Arrived on the river just before 6:30am, no one to be spotted in either direction, tied on my leader and did two short drifts. Looking out to the opposite shore saw alot of fishing rolling and the odd jumper. Right at the end of my third drift bobber down with a scrappy jack chinook at the end. One little flip and off he goes. Reload my hook and cast out again, same spot bobber down, landed my first salmon of the day before 7am. Landed 5 fish today, 4 jack chinooks and one very small jack coho. Released the coho and 2 of the chinooks as they were a little dark and I was hoping to get into some coho. Was having a hard time getting my hook set, had another 5 solid hits and lost 3 close to shore. Using gammies, even sharpened them up from time to time. Bite was on until just before 9am and then it went cold, fish stopped rolling and no takers it seemed. Fished until 1pm so I could avoid rush hour back into Vancouver.
some poor iphone pictures

« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 04:48:28 PM by vancook »

c-pin

Re: Chilliwack River, September 22nd 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 04:00:02 PM »

Hey .... well done Vancook, and thanks for the report. It's good to see the fall fishery starting to come, with some consistency in fish being seen and caught. I might make it out there soon.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

Good show! Can't wait to get out there, not this weekend I don't think probably have to work saturday and sunday have to visit the great grandmother.

Did you see any bigger Chinooks lurking around? Probably was a doe around if you got into a few jacks in the same hole.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »

Good show! Can't wait to get out there, not this weekend I don't think probably have to work saturday and sunday have to visit the great grandmother.

Did you see any bigger Chinooks lurking around? Probably was a doe around if you got into a few jacks in the same hole.
didn't see any big ones, heard a very heavy loud splash but never got a good look at it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

I ventured out for the first time to the Vedder this fall today. I had planned to be there at first light but as usual, I underestimated how early there would be light before sunrise and arrived 20 minutes after first light. ::) Upon my arrival to the chosen spot, I found another car parked there already, so was even more bummed. :P But that all changed when I realized who it was. I bumped into Rhino and we fished together for awhile but did not connect with anything beside some small trout and seeing a couple of salmon zipping by.

A quick phone call to Chris an hour later suggested that we were at the wrong spot. ;D Chris had found some active fish so off we went to his spot. ;D Right after we arrived, Chris hooked and lost another one after already losing two other fish prior to our arrival. I hooked one soon after and it too popped off right away. Still very rusty after not touching the drift rod for four months. :o

There were a few rollers at times. Most were chinook jacks, but among them were some beautiful large silver coho salmon, which we just couldn't entice. At one point I switched to the spoon that never fails, and right away had a coho followed right in but I ran out of water before it bit. :'( That was as close as I would get to a coho today.

Later on both Rhino and I landed a chinook jack, which were released as they were somewhat coloured.

Water was a bit higher than I liked but it was very fishable. If it rains like what they are predicting in the next few days, then most likely it will not be fishable in the near future.

No fish in the cooler, but great fishing trip on the last day of summer. :)

I also found a prized item on my way out. It is a blue Toronto Maple Leaf hoodie with numerous roe stains on the front. If it is yours, you must attend Sunday's clean-up event to claim it. Maybe I should just burn it since the owner would probably be too embarrassed to claim it? ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 05:30:22 PM by Rodney »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »

That hoodie may have gone up in value......   the Leafs just beat Ottawa 4 -1!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 07:07:10 PM »

Nothing wrong with those iPhone pics there vancook, thanks for the report! I'm hoping to go out Saturday and maybe Sunday as well but after seeing the forecast for the next 5 it might be a no-go.  The river's probably gonna be blown out well before the weekend arrives  :-\

Buck_wife

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »

pretty sure that hoodie has not gone up in value ........ ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

I also found a prized item on my way out. It is a blue Toronto Maple Leaf hoodie with numerous roe stains on the front. If it is yours, you must attend Sunday's clean-up event to claim it. Maybe I should just burn it since the owner would probably be too embarrassed to claim it? ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for removing the garbage from the river. ;D

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:52:35 PM »

i also went out today with my pin and the day started out with nothing. i then hooked one spring which i lost because it decided to run and jump down stream and i snapped my leader. 2 spring i hooked was a little more mellow but it spat the hook. third fish was a nice jack hatch coho which i kept. third spring was on for a bit but i lost it to a snapped leader. fourth spring was huge over 40 pounds fought it for 15 minutes then lost it to a hook that opened up. sixth spring i lost to another opened hook which by then i stopped using that brand. 7 spring i landed but was hooked under the jaw so back in he went he weigh a little over 10 pounds. 8 and nine were lost about a minute after i hooked them. all in all my best day on the river in a while. ;D
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

purplehelmet

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »

Vancook, were you the guy I fished with for a while?  I recognize those Spring Jacks.  I'm the guy in the red truck who arrived & caught one on a Colorado blade. 

Rod, was that you above the train bridge wearing a blue hoodie chuckin' a lure of some sort, then fly-fishing?

Small fishing world...  In any case, I educated a guy below the train bridge using a 9-ft leader & a bouncing betty--THANKS SOCKEYE FISHING!
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:19:58 PM »

No sorry that wasn't me. :) I was further upstream.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 09:33:03 PM »

Me lose anything, I am only finding things. ;D You could have dropped it off at the house as now I canot go fishing tomorrow without it. I guess the hat will do. It sure will be nice catching fish tomorrow while the rest of you are working. ;D ;D ;D

lapetitebuse

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 09:45:45 PM »

unfair

chris gadsden

• Old Timer