Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to stay in northern BC - Skeena region?  (Read 1718 times)

kodiak

Where to stay in northern BC - Skeena region?
« on: September 18, 2010, 02:47:16 AM »

My brother and I have finally convinced our over protective parents to let us take a road trip to the steelhead mecca.  We are planning to go at the end of this month to the first week in October and will be fishing on foot.  Any suggestions on where we should set-up our home base.  I was tentatively thinking either Smithers, Hazelton or Terrace but it kind of depends on which rivers we are most likely to fish.   Are there certain rivers that offer better shore access than others? Of course we also want to be on a river with a strong run but it sounds like they can all be good.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts!  We'll hopefully have some photos to post when we get back.

Hookbender

Re: Where to stay in northern BC - Skeena region?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:14:33 PM »

Lakelse resort has cabins and campsites,about 15 min from Terrace on the way to Kitimat.Skeena,Copper Kalum river all within an hrs drive.The cabins are great,right on the lake ,very clean and well kept,reasonable weekly rates.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

There is always the option of a tent, or car camping.
Fish killer 101

Hookbender

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 08:36:48 PM »

Watch out for the bears,they will be pretty thick up there,bring some bangers and spray if you intend on camping.

kodiak

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:40:10 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  After doing some more research we are leaning towards staying around Smithers and fishing the Bulkley/Morice.  Is there decent access from shore or is a boat needed?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »

if you are staying in Smithers drop by Oscars Source for Sports, and the Bike Shop downtown for up to date information on the Bulkley.  You may also want to consider doing some fishing on the Skeena and the Kitimat River. Heard that the Bulkley River is running low this year so good to have a backup plan just in case. You can also visit Noel Gyger's website for info on the Skeena and surrounding area, and in Kitimat the fellow who runs the Home Hardware store does guiding on the Kitimat River.  I am sure if you explain your situation they would be wiling to extend you some up to date info for the area.