Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: Capilano River, September 11th 2010  (Read 8793 times)

hickman

Re: Capilano River, September 11th 2010
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:29 AM »

I went for a walk along the mouth of the Cap on Sunday and saw at least a couple of guys snagging fish, hauling them ashore and letting them flap around on the rocks.  >:(
Dozens of fish jumping. It would have been nice fishing.... DFO should be down there to check on poachers/ snaggers....

Fish Slayer

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 04:59:10 PM »

You didn't like what you saw but DFO is not about to go down there and tell the Natives to stop snagging.

Natives while sport fishing are supposed to follow the sport fishing regulations, quotas and everything else that a sport fisherman would have to follow. However nothing will be done as the government doesn't want more armed stand offs and they are scared to step up to the plate.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 05:00:16 PM »

Natives while sport fishing are supposed to follow the sport fishing regulations, quotas and everything else that a sport fisherman would have to follow. However nothing will be done as the government doesn't want more armed stand offs and they are scared to step up to the plate.

i dont think they have to when on their reserve...and that is native land....
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Nitroholic

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 06:41:48 PM »

Had a look at the hatchery yesterday and saw this guy. I think he's a little lost  ;D

Fish Slayer

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:25:09 PM »

Charges would stick if the CO's actually did do something. Just like how the natives pollute the river with shopping carts and other items that they use in their "ancestral" way of fishing. Great keepers of the land  ::) the problem is that it would be a hassle to have the tickets stick and it would be costly court wise so the the CO's just don't bother.

Risking their health? I find that to be rather funny as assaulting an officer is a very serious offense and would not be taken lightly.

hotrod

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »

The Royal Proclmation of 1763.............. it's all native land as far as the eye can see!
Queen annes Order in Council 1704....... Indian law is the force of law in the community!
Lord Dufferins Order in Council of 1875... B.C.does not exhist, but is only a corporation registered in Washington DC.as is Canada corp.
Just the facts! Recently upheld in a court case in Chilliwack(sic) a DFO officer did not know where Canada was!

hotrod
all rights reserved
      ;)

StillAqua

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:33:10 AM »

Charges would stick if the CO's actually did do something. Just like how the natives pollute the river with shopping carts and other items that they use in their "ancestral" way of fishing. Great keepers of the land  ::) the problem is that it would be a hassle to have the tickets stick and it would be costly court wise so the the CO's just don't bother.
Their "ancestral" way of fishing in small rivers was to use weirs, fences and traps and then spear what they needed. A shopping cart isn't that far off from a trap. Suspect a judge would conclude the same. Anyway, the Cap is so "un-natural" now since the dam was built no one is going to take anything to court.

burnaby

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:35 AM »

Even if you convict them then what, care for them in expensive jails instead of gov't supported native land. Garnish their pay cheque, seize their homes,  ;D ??? ::)

Enforcements only works for the law abiding citizens with something to lose.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 04:27:16 PM »

The cap is no longer a reel river, with 20+ km of the upper watershed submerged. It is a put and take system, all of its runs are hatchery influenced. Its just unfortunate that the fish can't even make it up the first half km before dying.
Fish killer 101

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »

I think the way they fish is great. i like to watch them fish they have skills. if you go down there and watch there isnt a shopping cart weir but a TRADITIONAL ROCK weir( yes maybe a few spots patched with shopping carts) and its a very traditional way of fishing especially with dip nets. its great to see kids down there fishing and not of up to no good. . AT LEAST THERE NOT SEINING WITH POWER BOATS which they could be doing. as for the "pollution" ever notice the sewage plant and the sulphur pile right beside the river.  shopping cart arent polluting anymore than line the 2.5 billions yards of tuff line and lead in the fraser.  if there was no natives around there would be no hatchery and no fish for sporties. the hatchery is there primarily there for a native food fishery. and as for the snagging. no different the the fraser floss fishery and beside like i said they could be netting them all at least it takes skill and patience to do that.

LightLine

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 12:43:48 PM »

I was down by the Dog-leg pool last night and watched as 2 males in their late 20s early 30s, accompanied by their 2 young labs, fished with roe. No the dogs weren't fishin! I yelled accross to them "there's a bait ban on". One responded casually "I know". I said " I guess you won't care if I call it in?" 
His response was " they'll probably be here by next week" and continued fishing.  It's hard to keep motivated when you know you're competing  against roe, so I left and called RAPP. I was told they where spred too thin, transfered me to a DFO # where I left My # and  message. I never got a call back.

anorden

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 03:02:26 PM »

I was told they where spred too thin, transfered me to a DFO # where I left My # and  message. I never got a call back.

how many COs do they have in this province? How many in lower mainland?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »

It would seem that there are quite a few people using roe this year. No enforcement whatsoever

StillAqua

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »

how many COs do they have in this province? How many in lower mainland?
From the DFO C&P website (2006):
"Conservation and Protection is responsible for the enforcement of fisheries regulations and management plans. This work is carried out through 125 full time Fishery Officer positions and a further 50 or so seasonal Fishery Officer positions located all across the Region."
The "Region" covers all of BC and the Yukon. Can't tell how many are in the Langley, Chilliwack and Mission offices.

From the BC Conservation Officer website:
"Approximately 120 field staff are located in 46 offices throughout the province, from Atlin to Victoria and include full time and seasonal employees."
Fish are just a small part of the Provincial COs duties.

If you think about how big BC is, they're spread very thin.

andychan

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »

Lower Cap a few nights ago, fished a spot that had 6 guys. 5 of the six all had bags of roe and I'm pretty sure only a couple of them knew each other because no one spoke to each other and they all left at different times. I did not see them using roe while I was there and there was no fish taken so I can not pass judgement. I'm sure CO's would have something to say though if you had cured roe with you on the Cap even if you weren't using it at the time.

how much lower  - like the mouth?