Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migratory Routes_Salmon  (Read 2909 times)

sassygrams

Migratory Routes_Salmon
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »

After doing a quick google search on the migratory routes of salmon/steelhead for the Lower Mainland or general BC area, I have not been able to find anything productive yet.

Where did you all learn so much about the habits of these fish, like the little things?  Where these fish are at certain times of the year and why?  Where do they go?  Then perhaps I can find maps and understand why when I drive down the Hope Princeton Hwy and see absolutely no one fishing, but yet a river goes through there.

I am not asking for 'secrets' - don't want 'spots' to go to - I just want to learn and this is my only area to ask.  My friends don't fish, my family is old to go out with me, and I love the sport. 

Look forward to any helpful input.

Thank you,
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration." - Izaac Walton

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Migratory Routes_Salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:45:47 PM »

1) People tend to fish where they see others fishing - herd mentality.
2) The first people fishing in a spot fish it with the hope that there MIGHT be fish there.
3) Once someone has even a whiff of a fish in an area, they will keep coming back knowing that it's there waiting for it.

itosh

• I EAT llamas!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:15:27 PM »

...  Then perhaps I can find maps and understand why when I drive down the Hope Princeton Hwy and see absolutely no one fishing, but yet a river goes through there.

Salmon require a river that eventually drains into the ocean.  The Upper Skagit that you cross along the Hope-Princeton does drain into the ocean but down in the US and there is a dam that stops any salmon from entering Canada.  All of the creeks/rivers east of the Skagit do not flow into the ocean.

Shane

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:29 AM »

You could start here: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/index-eng.htm

The map shows the various freshwater fishing regions in the province.

Click on each of the coastal regions (1, 2, 5 & 6) and review the salmon regulations for each river.
The other non-coastal regions may have salmon (EG: region 8 - Okanagan - Thompson River).

Region 6 (Skeena) for example has many major salmon bearing rivers: Babine, Bulkley, Kispiox, and the Skeena itself.

Steelie1030

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »

1) People tend to fish where they see others fishing - herd mentality.
2) The first people fishing in a spot fish it with the hope that there MIGHT be fish there.
3) Once someone has even a whiff of a fish in an area, they will keep coming back knowing that it's there waiting for it.

So true.....
I've actually hid my vehicle on occasion trying to avoid looky-loo's.

cohojoe

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 10:48:10 AM »

Hey Sassygrams,  its me  cohojoe.   How did that fishing trip go with the person in the float tube ?   There are many migratory rivers / streams near you.  Just phone your local fishing shop.   They usually are dialled in to the good locations for  both  gear and fly fishing .      I wish we were up there near the Adams.    It must be crazy with socks and people, and bears,  and skunks ( just kidding ).     Any other news about your successes this Fall fishing season much appreciated.

tworivers

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »

Frequent refreshing of Google Map zoomed in and around the Agassiz area could provide you with some of the answers.
Unfortunately, these visible schools would probably have moved on prior to your arrival.  ;)

As for "the little things" sassygrams, I think it safe to say that like most creatures on earth... they find a mate, then go at it! ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:22:06 PM »

Be thankful for the sheep people...... Herds scare fish to other parts of the river that aren't as pressured. I've had some of my best days just out of sight with the gong just around the corner.  ::)
always a student

cohojoe

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 02:50:41 PM »

yup  the herds  come blasting in with their boats ;  jump out and splash around wading to just a few feet besides you.    Then proceed to cast over your fly line ;  then ask   Hows the fishing ?     So  I pretend to be a dumby and say ;   shucks  I'm  a beginner fly fisherman so forgive me if I catch you on my back cast.      Works most of the time.   Until they see you casting like a pro and  catching more fish than them on gear.     Happens a lot a the acquarium on the harrison and countless other places I go to in my canoe.