Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sturgeon registration  (Read 1928 times)

red_tailed

sturgeon registration
« on: September 08, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »

My extended family (brothers, dad, uncles and cousins) and I have over the past couple of years really gotten into sturgeon fishing.  We have caught the usual 2-3 footers but every fall we hook and land some "broozers."  We have caught probably close to 20+ fish between 6-9 ft with some also being lost.  Since we do all our fishing on our own (no guides) we have no idea if these beasts have been tagged with the internal microchip or not.  Knowing the history of some of these fish is very interesting to me.  Have they been caught before, where were they tagged ect ect ect.  What I would like to see is along with the internal chip, there should be a external one as well.  Say just behind or on the dorsal fin.  This number would match the internal chip.  That way when a recreational angler lands a sturgeon they take all the necessary measurments (length and girth) go to a site put in the tag number and the measurments and where it was caught and only then will the history of that fish could be known.  And any unmarked fish can also be put in to get a good estimate of what the actual numbers are.  This is only an idea.  But it would be interesting to see what others think on this idea. 

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: sturgeon registration
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:58:38 PM »

Ive always wanted to be able to read those internal tags....