Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: buying a boat fromt the states  (Read 3760 times)

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
buying a boat fromt the states
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »

anyone here done that ? what is all involved ? would u do it again ?

there's some really good deals down there and more selection ! the better half finally gave in and said I could buy !!!

thanks Ray

Verdi

Re: buying a boat fromt the states
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »

best thing to do is bring down your own trailer, it will save you registering the trailer and getting a provincial inspections as it is an out of country vehicle($150 for vehicle reg and 350 for inspection) , if the motor is not American try to get a separate receipt for the boat and motor otherwise no problems.. the Nafta free trade does not include Japaneses motors..So you will have to pay a little duty on a import motor.

I think it is $10 to register the boat.

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »

best thing to do is bring down your own trailer, it will save you registering the trailer and getting a provincial inspections as it is an out of country vehicle($150 for vehicle reg and 350 for inspection) , if the motor is not American try to get a separate receipt for the boat and motor otherwise no problems.. the Nafta free trade does not include Japaneses motors..So you will have to pay a little duty on a import motor.

I think it is $10 to register the boat.

Great info Verdi. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »

2nd what was posted already by Verdi.
Bring down your own boat trailer to pick up the Washington St boat or USA boat. It then will bwe 90% less paperwork for ya.
Plus ya do not have to bring the trailer to be inspected at Canadian Tire etc...(& wait for a special paper in the mail before ya can insure the trailer in BC)

When ya buy the USA trailer MAKE SURE YA HAVE THE TITLE PAPER form the seller.
This is a must for the Canada Customs.
Hope ya find a good boat.
We brought in the trailer & boat from Everett Washinton (Boat Country on the I -5) but in hindsight would of just bought the boat & picked it up with a BC trailer. (make sure ya have the insurance papers for your BC trailer incase either customs aske to see them)

rjs

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »

thanks everyone !
I never knew the trailer would be such a problem ! thought the boat would be !
so say u buy the boat with trailer, get to the border with all documents and stuff, how long does it take to process it ?
do u get a permit for the trailer to tow it in BC before it is inspected ?

thanks again!
Ray

prairiefire

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 04:22:43 PM »

Great info on this post! I was wondering if you have to pay the same same kind of inspection and registration fees if you bring in a boat from another province. My Dad has a boat for me out in the prairies and I want to go pick it up in the spring. Sorry but I don't mean to hijack this thread.

Ray,

Do you already have your spot staked out in G-Bob's yard for the new boat? ;D
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

rjs

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »

Ray,

Do you already have your spot staked out in G-Bob's yard for the new boat? ;D

yeah right Kerry, Glen let me park it in his back yard.... not likely lol I will have find storage for it somewhere !

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 12:31:29 AM »

rjs (Ray) ...Good question.
When I brought in the USA boat & USA trailer ya just go into the Canada Customs. Show them the paper-work.
They will take it from there ...it took about 10 minutes after getting to the customs worker.

As far as transporting the trailer & boat (insurance) from the border to your home...well I was give 2-3 stories...
They told me that I could go to the truck weigh scale (1/2 mile down the road from the Douglas crossing) & they could get me a permit.
Well when I went in to get it the guy just told me that my veicle's insurance will cover the boat trailer TILL I got the boat & trailer to my house.
That's what I was told. ( so I just drove home)
But now to get the boat trailer checked at the Canadian Tire (a few days after getting the boat home) ya just go to your ICBC agent & they will give ya a day's insurance ...something like $25 or $35 dollars.
After Canadian Tire checks your trailer they will send the info to "forgot the name"...anyways within a few wks you will get a letter in the mail & with the letter you then can go to the ICBC & get your BC trailer plate & insurance.
Before taking the trailer on the road make sure the brake & signal lights are working & it is safe to travel on the highway. ;)

FraserFishing

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »

May be cheaper but if u don't live there, taxes might be expensive when you bring it back through the border since you exceed the limit ($50 per person I believe) tell me if I've got it wrong

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

In your search engine type in:
Pat's Boating in Canada Importing a Boat from the USA

It has simple & straight forword info in all the things ya gotta do.
 Sujj.if possible have a sea-trail before buying....sometimes it is good to buy from a boat broker (boat selling place that sells new & used boats & also boats on consignment..as then they should make sure there are no liens on the boat but also the sales person will arrange for ya to get the boat tested on the water.)
Used boats ya can always try to shave off a few 100's or even $1000-$1500 etc ..on a boat that has a $10,000 asking price.
Play your cards right...When a person wants tosell a boat they just want it sold...so they can forget about the whole issue.
They don't mind to get less as they had 100's or 1000's of hrs enjoying it through the yrs.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:34:34 PM by arimaBOATER »

rjs

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:37:30 PM »

good stuff ! ;D keep it coming !

thanks all !

Ray