Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Action From Peg, September 2, 2010  (Read 16765 times)

jon5hill

Re: More Action From Peg, September 2, 2010
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »

YEP....just like I'm welcome to my allowed limit of sockeye no matter how I choose to fish for them as determined by the written regulations.

Alwaysfishin was just stating his input in this discussion, that's how I see it!

Just curious ChromeKings, do you find flossing salmon fun? Don't get defensive or anything I'm not insinuating anything, I just want to know if you find it enjoyable to spend the day in crowded areas snagging fish intentionally.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 08:56:47 PM »

Just curious ChromeKings, do you find flossing salmon fun? Don't get defensive or anything I'm not insinuating anything, I just want to know if you find it enjoyable to spend the day in crowded areas snagging fish intentionally.

I am just curious. Did you get any sockeye this year? By any means, either catching them yourself or buying them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

jon5hill

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:44 PM »

Yup,

A friend of mine picked up 6 fish for me in Richmond a couple of weeks ago. The fish was handled well, bled and gutted, on ice and absolutely delicious. I paid 80 for the lot of them. I've heard the price has dropped since then?

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »

i'm starting to hear stories from the commies and first nations about the glut of sockeyes saturating the market...so much so that their selling price (wholesale) is averaging 80 cents per pound....stories of incidental catches like sturgies and cohos being drowned, etc.

i think everyone recognizes that the sockeye fishery is a meat industry...so whether you're buying or catching sockeye, you're a willing participant in this already mismanaged fishery.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »

I was having lunch at Shady Island restaurant by the Fishermen's Wharf earlier in the week. Their special of the day was sockeye steak for $11.99 ! You can buy a whole sockeye for $10 just a few feet from the restaurant. Wonder how many "specials" they sold that day ? ;)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2010, 09:15:23 AM »

i think everyone recognizes that the sockeye fishery is a meat industry...so whether you're buying or catching sockeye, you're a willing participant in this already mismanaged fishery.

No, the sockeye fishery is a manufacturing industry. No, the sockeye fishery is a service industry.  Wait...aren't sockeye made out of meat and don't they sell they sockeye meat.  Dadgummit, you're right; the sockeye fishery is a meat industry.

Every housewife in the Prairies that buys a can of sockeye this winter for her kid's lunch is a willing participant in the mismanaged fishery. Shame on her! ::)

azafai

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »

yes, she is.  that is how boycotting works.

GFL108-12

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »

:D :D :D :D..... ;D

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.....I think we get the idea from your previous posts about this fishery!!

Then don't do it. And stay off the river. ;D

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »

Jon5hill, there are many more things in life you should be worrying about (such as why north americans are not donating to flood relief in pakistan, the continuing problems in haiti, where to get your hair cut next) than altering the behavior of other people so that they conform to your ideals.  Having an opinion is fine, trying to ram it down the throats of others, especially when their behavior is being condoned by regulators just comes off as self righteous and pushy.

Some people like it, some people don't.  On an individual level, to each his own.  What most of us seem to agree on is what most of us should be concentrating our efforts on instead of continually attacking and belittling each other; that is, doing what we can in terms of lobbying regulators to have sockeye season specific regulations that prevent this method from finding its way into other systems and affecting other fish populations.  As long as the status quo holds, nothing will change and we'll see the same discussions every year.  I know for fact that we have some vocal and more importantly connected members on this site.  I would be curious as to their opinion on sockeye specific regulations and how feasible they would be to implement.  (Paging the OP!)  

azafai

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 02:59:26 PM »

Do I enjoy spending a day in crowded areas, of course not! It's not for sport or enjoyment, it's a food or meat fishery for me. Why spend more money buying Sockeye at a store or wharf when you can get your fish yourself.

"Snagging fish intentionally"...Well, I don't go there intending to snag fish. I go there hoping that a fish takes my offering. I simply cast out a weight with 7-10ft leader, a coloured corkie and some wool and wait till a fish takes it. It's not like I'm out there seeing the fish and trying to direct the hook close to it's mouth then trying to snag them....that's illegal!!

Have I actually gone out this year for Sockeye? Nope....haven't fished, bought or even eaten sockeye yet this year! I could have gone but didn't need to kill fish unless I was going to eat it right away. I haven't missed an opening in many years but since I had no room to store fish in my freezer I didn't bother.

My turn...Just curious Jon5hill, do you find fishing for dark spawning steelhead fun? 

well, if it is taken on a fly set up that maybe even more fun.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »

No, the sockeye fishery is a manufacturing industry. No, the sockeye fishery is a service industry.  Wait...aren't sockeye made out of meat and don't they sell they sockeye meat.  Dadgummit, you're right; the sockeye fishery is a meat industry.

Every housewife in the Prairies that buys a can of sockeye this winter for her kid's lunch is a willing participant in the mismanaged fishery. Shame on her! ::)

well, i think we can excuse her... like they say, ignorance is bliss.  8)  i was referring more to the guys who know better.  ::)

burnaby

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:24 PM »

Let's all become vegetarians and leave those poor creatures alone  ;D. Where is the sports when the other side (the fish) are always unwilling participants. It is really fish harassment no matter how you spin it.