Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More Action From Peg, September 2, 2010  (Read 16766 times)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
Re: More Action From Peg, September 2, 2010
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »

Exactly,so why are you replying back...Action/Reaction :P!!!
Because it's a forum and I like discussing things.  :)

Don't really understand your comment, but you're welcome to it!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »

YEP....just like I'm welcome to my allowed limit of sockeye no matter how I choose to fish for them as determined by the written regulations.

Alwaysfishin was just stating his input in this discussion, that's how I see it!

I didn't deny you your "limit of sockeye".

As for your view of Alwaysfishn's retort - incorrect.  Alwaysfishn stated he didn't want to read that.  He didn't say he disagreed, or give reasons why he was offended (or upset, or whatever he was, I'm not sure), but that he didn't need to hear it.  :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

tworivers

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »

I'm still wondering if that's chris g. testing a new Drennan float ;D

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 01:22:28 PM »

Not sure if you were serious or joking, Ivan, but looks like they were a research group catching sockeye - not highgrading.  :)

Haha thanks for the clarification Tex  :)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »

Haha thanks for the clarification Tex  :)

No prob!  Good luck out there.

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

I still get a chuckle everytime Rod posts that cartoon.  :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Danube Boy

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »

Not long before the "Gong Show" shifts over to the smaller systems and similar topics flood the forum.

It seems that year after the year, the attempts of a few to educate and convert anglers to proper and ethical fishing tactics is getting far outdone by the fast spreading fine art of flossing/snagging. I'm only guessing, but I'd think that flossing has been around longer than most people realize. Where the problem lies today is in the increasing popularity of the sport and the lack of proper direction for the new anglers. While certain programs do exist (Fish for the Future) and help tremendously for early development of ethical anglers, it's all downhill from there as these kids are exposed, by friends and family, to current flossing scenario on the Fraser and the later run of salmon up the smaller systems (Vedder, Stave, etc.).

The inherent problem with salmon fishing in fresh water is the lack of a feeding instinct, which presents all sorts of problems for inexperienced and sometimes experienced anglers. This problem is amplified in smaller systems (Vedder) by the ever changing river conditions and the constant need for tactical adaptation and tackle selection. Throw in the fact that the river is full of fish, and it's not long before flossing tactics rear their ugly heads. Why? It's simple, effective, and to those who do it it's fun because it gets fish to the shore. Why do experienced anglers do it? Partly for the reason just mentioned, and partly due to frustration of not being able to get one to bite while many around them are pulling fish to the shore. It's like a disease.

One thing that's new to me, is the recent act by "ethical" anglers who have resorted to flossing on the Fraser just because the fish won't bite. I am perplexed by this as they have taught themselves their whole lives to try to be innovative and never give up on attempting to get the fish to bite. And if in the end they are unsuccessful, they should never under any circumstance turn to an act that results in a possession of a fish which was caught for a reson other that willing biting of a presentation on the hook.

To me, the word "harvest" (used by many to justify their "entitlement" to sockeye), is something that legaly has no place in current regulations found under the Provincial Sport Fishing Licence.

roeman

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »

For someone who is disgusted by the flossing for sockeye fishery, you sure spend alot of time out there and posting videos of all the people and mess left behind.  What is the point?
Are you fishin or catchin

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »

For someone who is disgusted by the flossing for sockeye fishery, you sure spend alot of time out there and posting videos of all the people and mess left behind.  What is the point?
Just showing what is going on and cleaning up the mess at the same time as well as the recyclables to pay for the gas spent while sevicing the few garbage bags I have on the Fraser and Vedder. That reminds me I must get the ones I picked up to the landfill before it closes today, at my own expense. ???

Also I hope you will be able to come to the cleanup of the mess left by some on the Fraser on October 16, more details to come but I talked to FOC today who were doing a check of people leaving Peg and they have offered their truck to haul garbage to the landfill. ;D ;D

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 05:05:11 PM »

Chris is a good Samaritan to the rivers, no doubt about it. Though I disagree with him on the sockeye fishery, I truly appreciate his selfless act to keep the rivers clean. We do our share of cleaning in the bars we fish. I am even recycling those expensive broken braided lines right now & put them on my spool. Tie a good connecting knot and they are good to go (at least for sockeyes). I encourage all your flossers to love your flossing bars and keep it clean. Good for you and good for the fish.  :)

Back to the subject of sockeye fishery, it is here to stay if there is enough fish to share. Why some go to the crowded spots to catch their fish and others hate it? Well, we are humans and we don't think alike, particularly if we come from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds. Let's just respect the differences. If you spot illegal acts, just report to authorities. It is a legal fishery, and some people find it fun to pursue this fishery allowed by DFO. Those who don't enjoy it, there are always trout lakes or sturgeons, or even fishing video games.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:26:36 PM by liketofish »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »

Chris is a good Samaritan to the rivers, no doubt about it. Though I disagree with him on the sockeye fishery, I truly appreciate his selfless act to keep the rivers clean. We do our share of cleaning in the bars we fish. I am even recycling those expensive broken braided lines right now & put them on my spool. Tie a good connecting knot and they are good to go (at least for sockeyes). I encourage all your flossers to love your flossing bars and keep it clean. Good for you and good for the fish.  :)

Back to the subject of sockeye fishery, it is here to stay if there is enough fish to share. Why some go to the crowded spots to catch their fish and others hate it? Well, we are humans and we don't think alike, particularly if we come from different cultures and ethnic backgrounds. Let's just respect the differences. If you spot illegal acts, just report to authorities. It is a legal fishery, and some people find it fun to pursue this fishery allowed by DFO. Those who don't enjoy it, there are always trout lakes or sturgeons, or even fishing video games.  ;D
I appreciate this post.

We can disagree on lots of things but can still work together to make things better and respect each other. Gosh just ask my wife after 45 years of living in the same house.  ;D ;D ;D

A trip to the Thompson for jacks, grouse, deer hunting and badminton at the Senior Games in Campbell River will have me on the road for a couple of weeks so I will not be able to visit "The Peg" but I will be checking in every so often on FWR. ;D ;D

After that there is the BC River's day cleanup and celebration on the Chilliwack Vedder on Sept. 26, cleanup on The Fraser including "The Peg" October 16 and then the Alexandra Morton's big Paddle down the Fraser in support of wild salmon a few days later. I, Buckeye and Buck's wife are helping plan the celebration here in Chilliwack.

Of course a few coho in between, boy I love the Fall. ;D ;D

Sea Nymph

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 09:32:55 AM »

Tho only thing missing was the banjo music playing in the background by the look of most of those so called fisherpersons ( I have to be politically correct).

Keep us posted on the clean up date Chris.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

I think the disgrace at the Peg has alot to do with the close proximity to the city and the ease of access to the river.Probally alot of these anglers and i use the term loosely are for the most part just out to harvest a limit of sockeye period.Thier not really sport fisherman and this is probally the only fishing they do in the entire yr so they dont know any better and or dont really care.The pink fishery on the Vedder last yr was just as digusting as what we see going on at the Peg. But dont worry it will soon all be over.