Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: worms in Salmon  (Read 8233 times)

ali2pali

worms in Salmon
« on: August 24, 2010, 05:55:24 PM »

I was filleting my Salmon today and noticed a small translucent worm on the flesh (which was still alive!!). From what I understand this is somewhat normal and it's still safe to eat the fish as long as I cook it all the way thru. Does anyone out there have any opinions on the matter? Is it safe?

Thanks

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: worms in Salmon
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »

Have seen them in salmon before too. i forget what they are called.

Have also been told they are safe once the fish is properly cooked or frozen before hand.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:08:31 PM »

Pretty rare to find worms in a salmon. I believe it's probably a tape worm and cooking to temp of 135 will make it totally safe to eat.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

zztop

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

Read your fishing regulations .All fish have parasites ,they should be cooked or frozen b4 smoking page39

Weatherby

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:21:09 PM »

So your saying that the sockeye I ate raw last week was a bad idea?haha

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »

no worms in farmed salmon. good raw with wasabi.

Weatherby

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »

I took a few slices off a sockeye I caught last week.....I did put wasabi and soy on it...the wasabi was potent enough to kill any parasites I think :D

BBarley

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 12:28:48 AM »

What is the proper technique for preparing sashimi?

I love going to Tanpopo on Denman St. and getting the beautiful red sockeye sashimi. That atlantic salmon garbage is just too devoid of flavour...

fletcher

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »

If you look hard enough almost EVERY salmon will have some worms in them.  Usually if you skin your fish you'll find them under the skin.  After fishing for nearly thirty years and seeing them so often I just don't worry about them anymore.  However I also either smoke or cook my fish so I have no idea how they may or may not affect a person if you eat them raw.  Enjoy your worms.  A good source of protein!

tworivers

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 08:36:26 AM »

Worms...the best part!
Usually throw the rest away! ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:54 AM »

same here , ate 80 % of my sockeye raw this week , but then again i`m a chef so that doesn't bother me . and no knowledgeable  cook would freeze salmon before smoking that would mess up the texture .

If you're a chef then you know that all salmon served in sushi restaurants is flash frozen for 2-3 days before being served. This is necessary in order to kill any parasites that may be present.

I always freeze my salmon before smoking it and I've never had any problems with the texture of my smoked salmon or the texture of the salmon served in a sushi bar.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:11:42 AM »

What is the proper technique for preparing sashimi?

I love going to Tanpopo on Denman St. and getting the beautiful red sockeye sashimi. That atlantic salmon garbage is just too devoid of flavour...

It is re commanded to freeze your fish at -17C or lower for 48hrs before consuming as sashimi.

If it's vacuum packed and frozed for 48hrs, you'll minimize texture lose.  However if you do leave it in freezer for about a week or longer you'll find the flesh becomes mushier as freezing time increases.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:19:01 AM by BwiBwi »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 09:12:26 AM »

no worms in farmed salmon. good raw with wasabi.

No flavor either......    ;D

Weatherby

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »

No flavor either......    ;D

thats forsure

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »

Worms can be found in all fish particularily in the belly sections of bottom fish such as: halibut, cod, sole, flounder.
And just 'cuz you've never seen one doesn't mean there are no worms in farmed fish. (the drug resistant ones I mean)

With the exception of those who smoke their own, MOST  smoked salmon comes from a freezer prior to smoking.