Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meat fishers and casual fishers don't mix.  (Read 9305 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Meat fishers and casual fishers don't mix.
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »

I was out doing the sockeye fishing thing today - yes flossing but, as far as I know, thats the only way to catch 'em. [If there is a better more sporting way I would love to hear it].

Anyway, the point is I was not getting anything where I was and decided to join the shoulder to shoulder crowd to see if I might do better there as they were obviously catching a few.   Found out soon enough that it is virtually impossible to avoid snagging up with someone from time to time and most people seem to tolerate that quite amiably given the conditions.   Unfortunately I managed to get some line fouled with a guy below me and in attempting to unfoul mine line from his, he literally ran up,  shouted, shoved me aside quite violently and ran by [ I think my line was over the top of his but I couldn't see that so he was somehow able to duck under mine and continue up the river].

To the guy's credit he was somewhat apologetic when he got back and I just remarked that he shouldn't be so wound up because its only fishing after all.  His response :  "Some of us are here for food".  I was so stunned by such ludicrous logic I didn't know if I should be angry or start laughing.    That behaviour combined with some of the other angry shouts I heard on the river today finally convinced me it is never worth fishing with crowds.   While the vast majority of people on the water are very pleasant there are enough dingbats out there to make it really not worth it.

[Glad to say that I found some less productive but far more peaceful spots elsewhere :)]

strobes

Re: Meat fishers and casual fishers don't mix.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »

I experienced a similar situation.  Friday night i attemped to join the sockeye fun on the scale bar off lougheed hwy.  I had never fished for sockeye before so i went to the end of the line, out of the way of the experienced fisherman and just started casting away.  after a few cast i snagged after a bad cast but was able to break free.  while i was breaking free another guy came up beside me and started casting.  after my hiccup i continued casting away,  and lone and behold hit another snag.  now the guy that came up beside me starts swearing and screaming at me to break free or i will **** him up too.  he got quite beligerant and rude, so as oppose to getting in a confrontation i just got free and and went too where there was no one around and kept to myself.  not a great first experience to sockeye fishing on the fraser.  luckily i didnt give up hope and tried again today and found a bar with some extremely friendly and helpful fisherman who gave me plenty of tips.  sadly i was skunked again. 
<>{Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies}<>

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »

some people take this sockeye fishery far too seriously.  To me fishing is just a hobby, if I catch some fish great but to get rude and ignorant to others is getting out of line. You think folks would be just happy having this opportunity, as the next one may be far and in between.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »

This is why it's so much easier to spend $15 for one fish at the Steveston dock and go fishing for something other than sockeye elsewhere like what we have been doing lately.

iRobertO

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »

Hey Rodney,

To me, sockeye is a good fishery that will help me get my son (he's 13) interested in fishing; it's easy, the fish are retainable and they're big enough to give him a fight he will remember.
So I have a couple 10.5 and 11" level wind rods for us to use. Given my equipment, where could I take him that would provide the most exciting opportunities to get him interested if not the bottom bouncing Fraser guarantee?

Any advice to convert me is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »

Hey Rodney,

To me, sockeye is a good fishery that will help me get my son (he's 13) interested in fishing; it's easy, the fish are retainable and they're big enough to give him a fight he will remember.
So I have a couple 10.5 and 11" level wind rods for us to use. Given my equipment, where could I take him that would provide the most exciting opportunities to get him interested if not the bottom bouncing Fraser guarantee?

Thanks,

Rob

Personally I find it very difficult to handle the long leaders and I would strongly recommend against taking a kid anywhere near crowded sockeye spots - they are crazy out there. Just casting with abondon.   Stay as far away from the very crowded spots for sure or get there early enough to beat the crowds.  

Also got really tired of snagging the bottom,  in my opinion its not the best intro to fishing.   Shore access to the Fraser is limited on account of private land but I could tell you some of the relatively secluded spots that were less productive but definitely more fun to be at.   If you are interested just ping me and I would be happy to let you know.  Certainly don't want to discourage you.   In my opinion a great intro to large fish is the Chum fishery on the Stave around mid-october but it also has significant crowding issues and you have to get there very early [..be there at first light and leave when the crowds get overwhelming.   Took my nephew of 9 there last year and he had a blast [ with help of course, a chum is way too much for a 9 year old but a thirteen year old should be up to it - I think].

I know this was a question for Rodney - just my 2c.  I am sure he can give you better info.  (...and I can't help agreeing about the $15 for a fish at the Steveson dock lol but I just love to fish what can I say)

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:26:29 PM by fishseeker »

robj

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »

Best way to fish for Sockeye is from a boat.  Get away from the crowds and many of the idiots on shore.  Fishing in that crowd is something that I refuse to do, never again, it is too stressful.  Get yourself a small boat and you can be away from the shoulder to shoulder crowds and do better than  you would on shore.

Have a great day

Rob.

mike123

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

Robert,

Sockeye fishing isn't a good kid environment, nor adult enviornment for that matter. My opinion is,  If your kid has to catch fish to like fishing, maybe its not for him.

rosejeff

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »

For the most part I"ve found that most people are pleasant enough out there, even quite helpful. But I guess there are always a few bad apples, and if you look around you'll see you're not the only one shaking your head at them.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:53:59 PM »

Hey Rodney,

Thanks,

Rob
Wouldnt you be better off taking your son somewhere that involves actual fishing?
Personally i think a kid would learn far more by fishing for Pike Minnows or stocked Trout in one of the local lakes or any other type of fishing for that matter.
I can see your point about getting him into some nice fish but is this the place you want to introduce your son to fishing at?
So when you take your son to another system is he going to wonder why you arent catching fish right away or will he just want to tie on a 15 ft leader?
It sounds like you have some decent rods there that you could use just about anywhere so definitely not limited to the Sockeye fishery.
Wherever you go,i hope you have a great time with your son.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 11:12:38 PM by DragonSpeed »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »

Rodney, I agree about the $15 at Steveston but I had to give it a try.  Next time I will try for springs.

Possibly $10/fish this week after another big commercial opening. ;D

Rob, I don't intend to convert anyone. The Fraser River sockeye fishery is legal so while it does not live up to my expectation of what fishing is all about, I don't have a problem with anyone who does it (after all, just about all my close friends take part in it). I don't have an interest in getting caught up in the hype because while I'm sure most participants are pleasant to be around with, this fishery brings out some of the worst users and the worst of some users. Because there is a slightest chance that I would encounter something what fishseeker described in the first post, I don't intend to put myself in that situation. Some may say that I am missing out as a result, but I ask what am I missing out beside being able to drive home with two fish? I spend less money, time and possibly save some aggravation by visiting the Steveston dock down the street from my house.

In my opinion, this fishery should not be considered as an introductory fishery, especially for kids. It misrepresents what fishing in BC is all about, that's why we've ended up with similar problems in other fisheries, because people who start out by catching Fraser River sockeye have the same expectation in other fisheries. This is why I've placed a strong emphasis on other fisheries that I would consider as kids or family friendly.

When I started out fishing with my dad, I couldn't care less what kind of fish I was catching. Big fish, small fish, pretty fish, ugly fish, as long as it swam in the bucket, they were all fun to catch and watch. Take them down to the piers in the Tidal Fraser, get them to watch the float, catch a bunch of different species, learn what they are, it worked for us so I can't see why it wouldn't work for other kids.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »

If you really want guarntee, pink fishing would be a good start (have to wait till next year though).  Another type of fishing that's almost guarantee to catch fish is fishing for surf perch.  Given that kids have problem holding rod and wait (at least all 3 of mine loved to "jig" their rod) I find ocean fishing's best for them.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »

Possibly $10/fish this week after another big commercial opening. ;D

Rob, I don't intend to convert anyone. The Fraser River sockeye fishery is legal so while it does not live up to my expectation of what fishing is all about, I don't have a problem with anyone who does it (after all, just about all my close friends take part in it). I don't have an interest in getting caught up in the hype because while I'm sure most participants are pleasant to be around with, this fishery brings out some of the worst users and the worst of some users. Because there is a slightest chance that I would encounter something what fishseeker described in the first post, I don't intend to put myself in that situation. Some may say that I am missing out as a result, but I ask what am I missing out beside being able to drive home with two fish? I spend less money, time and possibly save some aggravation by visiting the Steveston dock down the street from my house.

In my opinion, this fishery should not be considered as an introductory fishery, especially for kids. It misrepresents what fishing in BC is all about, that's why we've ended up with similar problems in other fisheries, because people who start out by catching Fraser River sockeye have the same expectation in other fisheries. This is why I've placed a strong emphasis on other fisheries that I would consider as kids or family friendly.

When I started out fishing with my dad, I couldn't care less what kind of fish I was catching. Big fish, small fish, pretty fish, ugly fish, as long as it swam in the bucket, they were all fun to catch and watch. Take them down to the piers in the Tidal Fraser, get them to watch the float, catch a bunch of different species, learn what they are, it worked for us so I can't see why it wouldn't work for other kids.

Well put and I am not one of your friends that that takes part in this activity  ;D ;D but I did catch my first sockeye in years, on the Thompson this past week, while fishing for jacks, snagged like all the other sockeye that are taken.  ::) There was so many sockeye I was lucky I did not snag more, gave up fishing as no jacks because of all the sockeye so just enjoyed being around the canyon and went to Lillooet for the Salmon in the Canyon Festivel and then off to Yale where I presented a Salmon are Sacred T shirt to the Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff.

Taking a child flossing as others have posted is just getting them into a bad start to fishing as they do not understand what is actually taking place and they will most likely not learn what fishing is intended to be. It always hurts me to see young people doing this as I feel they will miss out on what fishing is all about and what it all has to offer through their life.

Why O why did Pete and I work so hard through the Fraser Valley Salmon Society to get this going many moons ago, one of my major errors in life. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 04:41:27 AM by chris gadsden »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 06:52:02 AM »

Chris, anytime outdoors with family is better than sitting around at home playing vids or watching TV.  I took my kids to the fraser twice.  Now when I did this I knew that I had to choose a spot that was safe for them in terms of the water near shore, not too crowded so there was space for them too, and an area they would enjoy too.    I also knew that with them there I couldn't fish as hard as I usually do.

Both trips were great!  I took out cure sockeye roe I tied into dime sized roe bags and they would fish pike minnow.  Rodney's right, at seven and eight if that float is jiggling and going under, its fun.  I also dug a deep pond so they could keep the ones they caught for a while...I know you not supposed to keep live fish so if DFO came by and asked it was our "revival tank"!!!!  ;D  I showed them how to bait up and use the roe loop, how to casst, manage line, set the hook...definitely Pike minnows make an awesome kid fishery.  The first time we did it they also got to drag in a sockeye...this wasnt particularly fun for them but as it was diferent and the adults seemed excited, the kids were too.  Second trip we hooked no socs but when the neighbor asked about our trip my little one said he caught 10 pike minnows...he was very proud of himself and he had a great time. 

Not intending to pat my own back but the only reason it was so enjoyable is that I put their fishing experience ahead of mine when we are out there and if you do that your kids will  be fine.

Toprod

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »

Even without a boat its possible to hike the Fraser banks between Wack and Hope and find solitude, we went the other night and a 20 minute walk put us on a nice, snag free spot. We each had our 2 sockeye within an hour, my buddy also caught  a 20 pound spring.