Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: recycle fishing gear  (Read 1587 times)

scales

• I'm a llama!
recycle fishing gear
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:13:26 AM »

Are you doing your part?  Yesterday I took my nephew out fishing for Sockeyes and he sure looked puzzled as I was searching for hooks on the river's edge.  I was able to set up his gear simply with all the salvage tackle we found, line included.  I informed him that we recycle pop cans and other household garbage so why not fishing tackle.  To some this may not be the rule in their eyes which leaves the treasures for the next person.  All fishers should be responsible for their discarded tackle and garbage as we heard all popular bars are polluted with it, people take out what you bring in please. 

deepcovehooker

Re: recycle fishing gear
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »

I agree that we should recycle fishing gear.  I always pick up hooks, lose line ( I don't reuse the line just put it in the garbage) and weights when out fishing.

was up at Ruby Creek on the Fraser this week and was absolutely astounded by the line and garbage laying on the ground.  Sure it is a 20 minute walk in but you carried it in, please carry it out.  Too many birds and manuals have drowned or starved to death by getting tangled in our cut off and discarded bird nests.   As to water bottles we have enough floating around out in the Pacific right now please don't add to it.

vancook

• Old Timer
Re: recycle fishing gear
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »

Tuesday I must have collected 2 dozen hooks and bits of line from a popular bar before hope...I was wondering if there is any form of a clean up collalition for the rivers during the fishing off season? If not perhaps some citizens should form one.