Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong  (Read 32372 times)

dereke

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye Still Coming In Strong
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 05:24:42 PM »

Might take some time but you will get your fish......
always a student

pnKroK

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »

Head down to Steveston Village and buy them from the boats. $20/fish.

Ha!...I grew up in Steveston.  Typically the dock prices are for tourists, so they're jacked up a bit.

Then again, I live in Delta now so I can't confirm that anymore.

Quick question...

If flossing isn't an option (i'd like to avoid it) for fishing the Fraser when the water is low, what other fishing styles are there really available (excluding bar fishing).  I know float fishing is an option, but when the water is so low, is it really float fishing?  Or should i find a deeper pool?

Sorry if this starts the typical "to floss or not to floss" discussion.

thanks

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:01:35 PM by pnKroK »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »

$20/sockeye salmon is expensive?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:59 PM »

$20 a sockeye is pretty good in my books, tend to see them hovering at $30 in shops or fishmongers

pnKroK

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 07:05:57 PM »

Well, thats what i was told by a friend.  And growing up in Steveston that was the rule of thumb.  In the late 70's and early 80's it wasn't so.  Then Steveston got busy/commercial and the dock prices started to change.

Hey...I put the question out there.  I know this isn't a "shopping" forum...does such a thing exist? haha

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2010, 07:09:01 PM »

Where can you find an authorized commercial sale that has sockeye salmon cheaper than $20/fish?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »

Well, thats what i was told by a friend.  And growing up in Steveston that was the rule of thumb.  In the late 70's and early 80's it wasn't so.  Then Steveston got busy/commercial and the dock prices started to change.

Hey...I put the question out there.  I know this isn't a "shopping" forum...does such a thing exist? haha
Well I know some individuals who buy fish from certain native bands on the reservation from anywhere around $10-$15. I've personally never done it, a former classmate who's then boyfriend lived on reserve land was taking orders for salmon from half the class

pnKroK

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »

Where can you find an authorized commercial sale that has sockeye salmon cheaper than $20/fish?

Apparently there were going for $12-$15 at Stupidstore a week ago.

Just saw this on another forum:

If you or someone you know is still looking for a good buy on fresh sockeye, here is something I saw on CL this afternoon. I bet they will be there for more than just today.
$ 3/ pound for fresh wild salmon from a fishery that is Marine Stewardship Certified .
We will be fishing on Aug 18 and will have fish available for public sale after 4 PM
Available from any one of the 4 licensed commercial gillnetters moored at the Fishermen’s wharf in Sapperton Landing Park / New Westminister
At foot of Cumberland Street off Columbia Street near the intersection of Brunette St. Licensed commercial fishermen thank you for your support
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:14:07 PM by pnKroK »

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:07 PM »

+1 on the stupid store, we bought 1 about 2 weeks ago for $13 !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »

#13 is pretty good. Personally I'd still buy from the dock instead of through a commercial vendor to get the freshest fish available.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2010, 08:55:44 PM »

a week ago i went to chong lee market  and they got real nice sockeye jacks 1.99$pound   they were the real thing  bought two the first time , after the bbq went there the next day  and bought another 8

salmonhunter71

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »

I don't get it. If you want sockeye, go out and get em with a pole. A fish is a fish. Fill your freezer, there is a lot of them. I don't understand why a net caught fish is ok to eat, but not a flossed fish.  I mean you are only taking 2 fish home a day. And the good Lord made them tasty for a reason. Those of you against flossing sockeye, I have to ask, do you know how to floss a fish? Or is it just taboo for you?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2010, 09:25:42 PM »

At what point did I suggest that it would be more ethical to purchase a net caught fish than catching one? There's no incentive for me to drive two hours each way from Steveston, attempt to catch two fish among the crowd in the heat when I can walk down to the pier and spend the same amount of money, if not less, to buy two freshly caught fish at the river mouth.

penn

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2010, 09:43:23 PM »

I don't get it. If you want sockeye, go out and get em with a pole. A fish is a fish. Fill your freezer, there is a lot of them. I don't understand why a net caught fish is ok to eat, but not a flossed fish.  I mean you are only taking 2 fish home a day. And the good Lord made them tasty for a reason. Those of you against flossing sockeye, I have to ask, do you know how to floss a fish? Or is it just taboo for you?
Some just like to have some one else do their dirty work for them , there by keeping their conscience clean . Kinda like buying stolen stuff off a crook cause your not a thief yourself .

penn

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2010, 09:48:29 PM »

At what point did I suggest that it would be more ethical to purchase a net caught fish than catching one?
I don't think he specifically meant you , I read it as a more generalized statement myself . Not hard to understand with years of 'holier-than thou' condescending posts on various boards about flossing for socks and 'meat fisher' slurs .