Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fisherman fell in the Chilliwack river  (Read 7882 times)

mikeH

Fisherman fell in the Chilliwack river
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »

Has anybody heard about the guy that fell in the Chilliwack river today (waders were full of water the worst thing to happen). heard it on the local radio station RCMP search and rescue were out looking for him.Guess people were trying to help him as he drifted down stream.Hope he made it.

gofishon

Re: Fisherman fell in the Chilliwack river
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »

I heard part of the story on Global at 6. Don't quote me, but they said there were others trying to help, but his waders filled up with water and he went under. Thought I heard they found his body later in Chilliwack Lake. Hope someone has more positive info.

alan

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »

Thats really too bad.  Any idea how he fell in???

Morty

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »

By: ctvbc.ca

Date: Wednesday Aug. 4, 2010 8:17 PM PT

Another person has drowned in an already deadly summer on B.C.'s waters.

The latest victim is a fisherman whose body was recovered from Chilliwack Lake late Wednesday. He was discovered under a log about four hours after members of the public reported seeing him floating down the Vedder River.

Police say that bystanders tried to pull the man to shore, but his hip waders filled with water and pulled him downstream.

A search helicopter, police and rescue workers spent the afternoon looking for the man, whose name has not been released.

Chilliwack RCMP are urging caution on the Vedder River. "This is a very fast-moving and cold river," Const. Tracy Wolbeck said in a press release.

The Lifesaving Society says that B.C. has seen a 25-per-cent increase in drownings compared to last year. Although the victims have been mostly young men, they're also finding a rise in deaths for men older than 35.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:35 PM »

Although waders make for a more enjoyable time fishing, they can also be a death trap. So how exactly did this guy end up in the lake when he fell in 25+km down river ( assuming he was fishing within boundry?) ???
The Bigger The Better!

jeff

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.
Enjoying the water..........

BBarley

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »

Ditto on the finding him in Chilliwack Lake when he went in on the river???

Furthermore, why wear waders this time of the year? I've wet waded the river since it opened, and have never once been cold. Why carry the additional balloon around with you when you don't have to?

All being said, sad to hear.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »

i agree..very sad to hear this happened again. as well waders this time of year are a bit of a waste unless you like all the pockets and such.
i think wearing waders would make me even more hesitant for wading out deep because of all these horror stories
i havent gotten any right now but when i do get a pair i think i will be EXTRA cautious while wearing them
my condolences to the family and friends. a real shame

penn

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »

Although waders make for a more enjoyable time fishing, they can also be a death trap. So how exactly did this guy end up in the lake when he fell in 25+km down river ( assuming he was fishing within boundry?) ???
Even if he had been upstream of the boundary , that's still below the lake . Could perhaps the media have gotten some of the details skewed ?

lovetofish

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »

Even if he had been upstream of the boundary , that's still below the lake . Could perhaps the media have gotten some of the details skewed ?

No way, not the media. They always have their facts straight. Not.

Definitely a sad day on the river and for this man and his family.
They have our condolences.

one more cast

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »

i agree..very sad to hear this happened again. as well waders this time of year are a bit of a waste unless you like all the pockets and such.
i think wearing waders would make me even more hesitant for wading out deep because of all these horror stories
i havent gotten any right now but when i do get a pair i think i will be EXTRA cautious while wearing them
my condolences to the family and friends. a real shame

As far as know, he was wearing hip waders. These wader types are an extremely dangerous product.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »

--I wear a belt and auto inflatable vest... when wading deep or across water I manually inflate the vest then deflate.. back to auto setting.
--everyone should try swimming in their gear... in a lake or pool..controlled safe environment.. obviously with a trustworthy friend if assistance is required.
--try with and without vest inflated.. rod in hand etc. to get as comfortable as possible so when you dump in the river you have an idea of what it will be like.

--we also did a pool test with our belly boats ... flip out of them gear on in a pool. was surprising how difficult it was for some to get out of the boat on their own, fins getting caught on gear, with and withouf life jacket etc... all this when you're expecting it.

-- maybe thing about taking a floating throw rope to the river to assist if rescue needed..cheap and avaialbe at most boating stores.  

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »

The article is a bit confusing.

Just to verify one part of it, my brother's girlfriends daughter saw the body being pulled out of Chilliwack Lake in a net, quite the sight for an 8 year old to take in  :-[

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »

Fisherman found dead in Chilliwack River

By Staff Reporter, The Province August 5, 2010 9:46 AM

A fisherman was found dead Wednesday after his body was seen floating down
the Chilliwack River and reported to RCMP.

Members of the public saw him and tried to pull him ashore, said Const.
Tracy Wolbeck in a release, but his hip waders had filled with water and he
slipped away.

A helicopter and ground crew were trying to find the man Wednesday. His body
was located under a log near the mouth of the river in Chilliwack Lake,
about four hours after the incident was reported.

His name is not being released pending notification of next of kin, Wolbeck
said.

RCMP are urging people to be extra cautious around the fast-moving local
rivers.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »

Fisherman drowns in Chilliwack River
  The Times August 5, 2010   A fisherman drowned in the Chilliwack River Wednesday after he fell into the fast moving river and was swept under a log.

The man had been fishing near the mouth of the Chilliwack River when his hip waders began filling with water. As the water began to sweep him away, people closer to the shore attempted to drag the man to safety but the current wrenched the man from their grasp and down the river.

Police received a call shortly thereafter and an intensive search was launched. Unfortunately, about four hours after the man was last seen, his body was found under a log, still near the mouth of the river.

Mounties are urging people to be careful around the river.

"This is a very fast moving and cold river," said RCMP spokesperson Const. Tracy Wolbeck. "We want people to very vigilant and to take all of these things into consideration when spending any time at the river."

She added: "B.C. has experienced such a loss on our waters since the beginning of the summer.

"Our thoughts are with all the people who have once again been impacted by such a tragedy."

© Copyright (c) The Province

Read more: http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/Fisherman+drowns+Chilliwack+River/3363005/story.html#ixzz0vliWKf8C
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?