Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shop around before you buy... or buy in the states!  (Read 5482 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: shop around before you buy... or buy in the states!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »

IMO the distributors are very slow adjusting to the new US-Canadian exchange rate (look at the printed price tag on certain books and it is still over 1.3 to 1!). Support your local shop with small ticket items... and let them know how much you are paying for stuff in the US. They will soon start putting the pressure on their distributors.

Unfortunately the price difference has been going on for years. The manufacturers know that they can get away with it, so they keep gouging Canadians. I'm not convinced that the Canadian distributors have any influence on the pricing. Maybe the "support your local business" philosophy is the problem......  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »

i hate to burst all your bubbles, but that's what they call free trade...and poor business management by the canadian government...it goes beyond sporting goods.
just look at things like alcohol, cigarettes, and lumber from canada...you can buy them cheaper in the states than here at home.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »

--distributors typically buy once or twice a year... just like a blended mortgage rate they have to account for what they paid for stock on hand vs what they bring in... it's risky business, plus believe it or not sometimes retail stores don't take what they pre-ordered or don't pay for stock sent.
--many foreign manufacturers do not recognize the Canadian border.. they have one or more large volume distributors in USA for north america, many will not even deal with Canada direct.

--Canadian red tape or protectionism... example... cost to certify a life jacket in canada.. about 100K... assuming similar cost to certify for USA as same underwriters company does USA testing.. so if I manufacture life jacket and have 100k to spend would I get it certified for sale in USA or Canada. 

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

I would have asked if they would match the price and why the difference to begin with if it was my regular shop i go to.

reconize

• eeeeeeeereconize
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 03:29:55 PM »

IMO the distributors are very slow adjusting to the new US-Canadian exchange rate (look at the printed price tag on certain books and it is still over 1.3 to 1!). Support your local shop with small ticket items... and let them know how much you are paying for stuff in the US. They will soon start putting the pressure on their distributors.

agreed
mm fish