Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shop around before you buy... or buy in the states!  (Read 5501 times)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

shop around before you buy... or buy in the states!
« on: July 24, 2010, 02:44:21 PM »

just found a 2 weight echo carbon at berries for 169... same rod 220 at another shop. anyone else see outrageous prices at a local tackle shop lately? customer service isn't worth that much money to me!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:43:25 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: shop around before you buy... or buy in the states!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »

I see that all the time when comparing US pricing to Canadian pricing. As far as I am concerned it is price gouging on the part of the manufacturer. On a couple of big ticket items I have purchased over the last couple of years, the Canadian distributors were paying the manufacturer what I was paying retail in the US. The Canadian distributors are making the same profits that the US distributors are, however the manufacturers are making more money selling to Canadian distributors. Check the pricing on the website for any major Canadian car manufacturer and compare that to their US pricing....

I think the only solution is to buy from the US until the manufacturers realize that they are killing their Canadian distributors. In the meantime the Canadian distributors will suffer....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

tnt

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 04:12:42 PM »

I would rather spend my money at a small shop that has everything I need than go to the US.... nobody ever thinks what it costs for brokerage, shipping, and if you feel like driving to the states, sitting in line for an hour... running your truck... plus the hours spend traveling... I ll bet if you asked the guys at M&Y for a deal you would have gotten it.... just remember the next time you stop at a big store to save a buck... ask how the fishing is... I ll bet you will be shopping at the small stores after that....I would rather keep my economy going by spending my dollars in my town ... because I know when I have an issue they will look after me right away....I ll bet if ou are a regular customer to most shops they will give you a deal on most items.... sound like a bunch of whiners to me.....

Dont forget that without these small shops there would be no FWR as they are the ones that spend the money to keep these sites running.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:14:45 PM by tnt »
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

roeman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 04:37:43 PM »

I ll bet if ou are a regular customer to most shops they will give you a deal on most items....
I don't really understand that, why not have one price for all customers.  In the end I would think that would be the best way to build a steady customer base.  When I find out that someone else gets a better price then me that is the last time I shop there.
Are you fishin or catchin

tnt

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

so what you are saying is when you come in and spend a big amount of money I shouldnt look after you whenever I can with a better price? sounds good to me....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

gofishon

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »

just found a 2 weight echo carbon at berries for 169... same rod 220 at MnY. anyone else see outrageous prices at a local tackle shop lately? customer service isn't worth that much money to me!
Correct me if I am wrong, but  General Sherman telling us that he is comparing one local CDN tackle shop (Berry's Bait and Tackle) to another local CND shop (Michael and Young). That is comparing apples to apples not local to USA (apples to oranges). I get excellent service at Berry's and they are MY local tackle shop. Glad to hear their prices are competitive (if I understand your first post).

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »

there shouldnt be a price on customer service period. 

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 05:53:19 PM »

I would rather spend my money at a small shop that has everything I need than go to the US.... nobody ever thinks what it costs for brokerage, shipping, and if you feel like driving to the states, sitting in line for an hour... running your truck... plus the hours spend traveling... I ll bet if you asked the guys at M&Y for a deal you would have gotten it.... just remember the next time you stop at a big store to save a buck... ask how the fishing is... I ll bet you will be shopping at the small stores after that....I would rather keep my economy going by spending my dollars in my town ... because I know when I have an issue they will look after me right away....I ll bet if ou are a regular customer to most shops they will give you a deal on most items.... sound like a bunch of whiners to me.....

Dont forget that without these small shops there would be no FWR as they are the ones that spend the money to keep these sites running.....

your only saying this because you want to motor boat adrienne's beer holders thomas  :D
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

tuna

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »

unfortunatly now owning my third car bought in the usa it was well worth the 25%, 37% and 50% I saved on purchasing acros the line all three cars no more than a couple of years old with all the paper work vehicle inspection I still managed to save close to $59000.00 on the three vehicles ..........sure buys a lot of fishing gear plus ended up buying a gradywhite from florida and still managed to save $12000.00 on the three vehicles plus get a boat out of the deal so go figure I will always buy my cars south of border period :-\

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:08:14 PM »

best deal is gas at half price us suckers are forced to pay !!! $2.73 a gallon today cost me $60 to fill there were it cost me $110 here  :'(
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 08:14:07 PM by rjs »

reconize

• eeeeeeeereconize
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »

nice livin by the border eh! hell ya for deals
mm fish

azafai

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »

supporting the local business is supporting the sport at home as long as price differences are not dramatic and unreasonable.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 09:33:01 AM »

Where do you get your value?  Support your local shop, when at all reasonable.  If the price difference is massive, I wouldn't blame you to go elsewhere, but don't underestimate the value of advice and support that your local shop can provide that the American shops and big box stores won't.  I know I spend a lot of time and money at Pacific Angler, and they've always treated me VERY well.

I don't really understand that, why not have one price for all customers.  In the end I would think that would be the best way to build a steady customer base.  When I find out that someone else gets a better price then me that is the last time I shop there.
Then you must not shop anywhere interesting, because in my experience nearly EVERY non-bigbox store has flexibility on price.  Might want to rethink your stance.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »

--different price...sometimes a guy just has to pay the rent or has a rod that's been in the shop for a year... why not offer the rod to someone that is a steady customer rather than whomever next walks in.
--the problem for small shops is when one store sells one rod for cost or below suggested min... that is the new expected price.
--the shop down the road that just picked up 5 of those rods now can't sell them without being accused of gouging.

anorden

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 09:15:51 PM »

I think the only solution is to buy from the US until the manufacturers realize that they are killing their Canadian distributors. In the meantime the Canadian distributors will suffer....

IMO the distributors are very slow adjusting to the new US-Canadian exchange rate (look at the printed price tag on certain books and it is still over 1.3 to 1!). Support your local shop with small ticket items... and let them know how much you are paying for stuff in the US. They will soon start putting the pressure on their distributors.