Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When is a good time to smoke salmon ??? Winter ???  (Read 9291 times)

staffy

When is a good time to smoke salmon ??? Winter ???
« on: July 17, 2010, 08:33:49 PM »

Some people said winter is good to do some smoke salmon, specailly on November & December when it is cold and wet, is that true?
If it is true, how to keep the fish fresh until December?
Should I just keep the salmon in the freezer or put the salmon with water in a bag and keep it in the freezer to prevent freezer burn?
Can anyone provide some information or suggestion?
Thanks in advance.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: When is a good time to smoke salmon ??? Winter ???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »

I do it whenever it's convenient or whenever I've got enough fish.

lude98r

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »

I am told buy a chef friend of mine that you should smoke it right away.
If you freeze it then defrost it and smoke the quality is diminished so im told.
The temp outside will affect the smoke times.

Enjoy Rob

gofishon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:15:41 PM »

I don't think there is a bad time to smoke salmon. I have 3 smokers and each one is different. I avoid windy days however, I like to keep as much smoke in the smoker as possible. It will take longer to smoke in damp, cooler conditions, but that can make for an excellent result. Some commercial smokehouses will only work with previously frozen fish. I freeze my fish in a "tube" of water. Start experimenting and soon your friends will be asking for your recipe ;). Good luck.

robj

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:50:59 PM »

When is the right time to smoke fish?

When you have fish to smoke!!

I just adjust my technique according to what I am trying to achieve and what the weather is.  I can cold smoke in the heat of summer with my Bradley, just add a bit of ice and it works fine.

Good luck

Rob.

staffy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 11:24:36 PM »

Hey Rob, you mean add some ice into the smoker but it will melt in a few minutes, how does it works?
I try cold smoke with the Bradley before, but the come out is still a bit different with the restaurant  ???
Some ppl said better do it at the winter time when cold and rain, the texture of the smoke salmon will get better, I'm still working on it...........

"I freeze my fish in a "tube" of water"
So, you freeze your salmon with water in a plastic bag  ???

gofishon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »

Yes, staffy. I freeze my salmon in a bag of water. Squeeze all the air out and tie the bag closed. Try not to "bang" the bag after freezing as this is where the cold air will "burn" the fish :'(. Good luck.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »

get a foodsaver vacuum packer and its still good a year later for smoking.time of the year only affects smoking time.cant wait to get some fresh sockeye to smoke.

dan-o

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:50:32 AM »

try "brining" your fish before smoking to firm it up and add flavour. basic brine is sugar and salt but you can add different spices for different results. i love to use a brown sugar and maple in my brines to get that sweet smoky flavour. just look up "brining" on line to get the ratios and more info on length of brine time. it is definitely worth the extra effort!

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 11:20:21 AM »

I'm actually just brining up a half dozen trout to try to make indian candy.  First time for me.  I'd definitely process the fish before a trip through the freezer because its easier to pull pin bones out of a fresh fish than a previously frozen fish without causing damage to the flesh (ie: gaping hole where pin bone was).  Drawing from that observation, it would make sense that most fish are smoked just after salmon season.

robj

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »

Hey Rob, you mean add some ice into the smoker but it will melt in a few minutes, how does it works?
I try cold smoke with the Bradley before, but the come out is still a bit different with the restaurant  ???
Some ppl said better do it at the winter time when cold and rain, the texture of the smoke salmon will get better, I'm still working on it...........

"I freeze my fish in a "tube" of water"
So, you freeze your salmon with water in a plastic bag  ???

I made a cold smoke attachment so it gets rid of most of the heat before the smoke enters the smoker. I fill the bowl with ice and it lasts for a few hours, and I can smoke in the heat of summer.  The only thing I do is try and keep the smoker in the shade.  I pretty well got my cold smoking or lox technique perfected.  Now I just need some fish!!

Good luck,

Rob.

Weatherby

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »

my buddy smoked some fish last week.....turned out just as good as the batch he smoked last winter.So I wouldnt say weather has an effect on the smoking,just have to monitor drying time.